Brisbane Water Flatties

Scienceman

Last weekend went out to see if the crabs were about yet on Brisbane Water and unfortunately they weren't. This was a shame as my wife decided to join me as she enjoys crabbing and even agreed to a 5am start. Anyway, I still managed 3 nice flatties on a 2.5cm Zman grub. Two were 60cm and the third, 63cm which was also much broader across the body. When I cleaned them I found something very interesting, one 60cm fish was still male, the second 60cm fish had a small amount of eggs so was just reaching breeding age, and the third was female with a goodly amount of eggs. I realise a group of N=3 is not statistically relevant but does support the scientific studies which show that females breed when they reach ~60cm (they don't change sex from male to female as I also previously thought). Fish >60cm can be male, its just more likely that they will be female.

IMG_1490.JPG

On 19/12/2017 at 9:11 AM, zmk1962 said:

Nice report and Very interesting write up - I'm always interested in stuff like that... BTW looks like you put a 22 shell through their heads to help them on their way!

Cheers Zoran

Looks like they've been assassinated ?

50 minutes ago, blaxland said:

Nice catch BTW i usse a club seems brutal,  is the spike more humane and how do you now where to use it on most species?

I really thought it was a 22 and wanted to know how Scienceman stopped the shell going thru the hull !!

But it seems Scienceman uses some Ninja tactics instead - ikijime !!!

But hats off -  just joshing with you Scienceman wish I could show that catch of  flatties from my Mondays effort!

cheers Z 

15 hours ago, Scienceman said:

Ikijime, basically a spike with a handle. Much better than having them die slowly in the esky and it also makes it easier to get the hook out and transfer into the esky. I do this with all the fish I keep. Most good fishing shops sell them.

I was (mostly) just joshing too. I'm a huge fan of quick and humane killing - I could go on for ages about my brand of fishing ethics, but would probably bore some and enrage others. And breach the forum rules.

But the diameter of those holes suggests a cylindrical punch, not just a spike. Like a smaller scale, sharper version of an apple corer. Is that what you're using? Great idea if so, cos I'm always on the lookout for ways to maximise the chances of a quick and relatively painless death.

15 hours ago, Scienceman said:

Ikijime, basically a spike with a handle. Much better than having them die slowly in the esky and it also makes it easier to get the hook out and transfer into the esky. I do this with all the fish I keep. Most good fishing shops sell them.

Hey Scienceman... as I mentioned I am very interested in stuff like this. I do carry an awl on board (which I use for bait rigging but could also be used as an ikijime) however I never really knew where exactly to spike the different fish species - very much a hit and miss approach.  

But since you shared the correct name for this technique, I googled it and found a free iphone app  (https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/ikijime-tool-lite/id704317893?mt=8) which had all the info for common species.  Very useful.

THANKS SO MUCH !!!

Cheers

Zoran

• Thanks 1

Happy to help out and I thought the 22 comments very funny. Just took a photo of the ikejime I use. Made by SureCatch so should be readily available. Probably needs a sharpen and starting to rust a little but I have had it for +10 years. I drilled a hole at the side of the cutting board mounted at the back of the boat that this fits nicely into and I just leave it there, ready to use when needed.

IMG_1496.JPG

11 minutes ago, Scienceman said:

Happy to help out and I thought the 22 comments very funny. Just took a photo of the ikejime I use. Made by SureCatch so should be readily available. Probably needs a sharpen and starting to rust a little but I have had it for +10 years. I drilled a hole at the side of the cutting board mounted at the back of the boat that this fits nicely into and I just leave it there, ready to use when needed.

IMG_1496.JPG

Sorry can't resist.... that handle would just encourage me to look where to load the 22 cartridge !!!!   he he he :gun_bandana:

Cheers Z 

Best of luck with more flatties over the break... 

Good report and nice catch scienceman.

I agree,  ikijimi is a good way to despatch a fish. I don't often keep a feed but a knife or pointy scissors do the trick too. As long as you hit the brain. Equilateral triangle behind the eyes is a good rule of thumb IME. 

On 18/12/2017 at 12:28 PM, Scienceman said:

IMG_1490.JPG

Can't fault the lure & reel choice either. I use the same. Pity pflueger don't make it in the gold trim any more. Running J braid as well? 

Got inspired by Science man... had 5min spare yesterday after cutting the grass so ground down an old screwdriver and now have my own ikejime - also drilled my cutting board so it sits with my knife and pliers etc. Thanks again.

Now to find the flatties......

IMG_7644.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure oft he jighead, probably ~1/8 oz or there abouts.

That modded screwdriver looks like it will get through the hard head of a flatty pretty good. Probably the sort of think you would also find in hidden in cell at Silverwater prison :)

Hi,

Great report.

Not sure about your assessment of sexual maturity for female flathead at around 60cm. I have landed male and female fish which were just legal that were in both roe and milt. it would be interesting to see the data but you would think that having set a legal size that hopefully, it would mean that each female and male fish of legal size would have reproduced at least once.

KB

On 12/24/2017 at 9:34 AM, zmk1962 said:

Got inspired by Science man... had 5min spare yesterday after cutting the grass so ground down an old screwdriver and now have my own ikejime - also drilled my cutting board so it sits with my knife and pliers etc. Thanks again.

Now to find the flatties......

IMG_7644.JPG

I've got one just like it in my tackle box, works a treat.  I now know it's called an ikijime - I've always called it a fish shiv :)

On 22/12/2017 at 9:34 AM, zmk1962 said:

Hey Scienceman... as I mentioned I am very interested in stuff like this. I do carry an awl on board (which I use for bait rigging but could also be used as an ikijime) however I never really knew where exactly to spike the different fish species - very much a hit and miss approach.  

But since you shared the correct name for this technique, I googled it and found a free iphone app  (https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/ikijime-tool-lite/id704317893?mt=8) which had all the info for common species.  Very useful.

THANKS SO MUCH !!!

Cheers

Zoran

Great find Zoran!!

Hey SquidgyBoi

They are both great colours and I use them a fair bit  however if you're going to start with 2, I suggest get bit more difference in the colours to allow for different water conditions. 

I also like Copper Penny and Greasy Prawn in the Grubz.

1/8 jighead is a good start point but will depend on water depth, flow etc.

cheers