Friday 29/12/17

Stu-SP

Hi raiders,

I was on the water before sun up at 4:45am to target some squid on the way out from the hacking. I got one on the first cast and another in about 6 casts so I decided two were enough as I was to be back at the wharf by 9am. I was out rounding jibbon at about 5:15am and headed south to Marley. Got to Marley and I put out one squid and I was flicking a sinking stick bait. I was sounding some kings but had no hits on first 3 passes. Then my stick bait got hammered. A first it felt like a Bonnie with the tail vibrations and then it took some good runs like a king. I was unsure as to what was on the line! The livie then has a run but dropped!!(bugger) I got it boat side and noticed I had hooked a bonito and a king on the one lure. Only a rat about 50-60. It popped the leader as it wrapping around both fish and I was trying to play them and get the net. Then I realised I still had 10lb leader on from my last little session (Rookie error) I followed  them for the next 15mins as they kept surfacing and going back down when I got the boat near, I wanted my lure back! So if anyone hooks a king with a rapala stick bait hanging out I would greatly appreciate it back. I persisted with the 10lb and soft plastics and had multiple hook ups but either got reefed or spat the lure at the boat as I didn’t want to play then too hard. The second squid was beheaded and not really touched.  I had enough and tied on 20lb(my usual leader for kings) but I started to feel unwell, probably because I had lost so many fish!! So 8am I headed for home and picked up the wife and child for a day on the hacking!! 

All in all hooked a few, lost them all. But my son had his first day on the boat and absolutely loved it! Next time I’ll pack him a fishing rod!!

F3C06956-B5FA-4588-8441-01F9DD0AA8E8.jpeg

• Like 5

You most likely hooked the bonnie first ( the tail vibrations were the giveaway) then the kingie has spotted the lure in the bonnie's mouth and tried to take it away from him. Have had a few kingies grab the baits from hooked tailor mainly, not all get landed as both hooked fish pull against each other and sometimes one tears the hook out of the mouth of the other.

Thanks guys, yeah definitely loved having him on the water. He loved his life jacket he got for Chrissy, now I just need to convince the wife he needs a stella for a first reel ;) hahaha.

Yeah I’ve already changed to heavier leader and replaced the exact same lure! Also hopefully going out Friday to try my luck again, I’ll keep you all posted and hopefully get a few photos!