Harbour session

sam bros

Hi Raiders

Had a fish on the boat in the harbour last week. Arrived before sunrise to the boat ramp, we launched and we were on our way. Plan was to get some livies and head to north head and maybe long reef to target some kingies. Could not get any live bait whatsoever and conditions outside the heads a bit rough, we changed our tactics and decided to troll around north head for a Bonnie or a kingy.

Managed to get a couple bonito and a salmon as well. Caught on trolled halo twisty and Xmas skirts.  Also got a few casting into busting up schools. 

As my brother was reeling a bonito in, there were a few kingys following it. Told my brother to leave the bonito in the water and I quickly got a light plastics outfit and dropped it over the side to try and hook onto the kingy. After maybe 3 secs of the plastic being in the water a fish takes it and goes for a screaming run. I was only using 6lb line and leader so i didnt have much hope of stopping this fish. The fish kept running with a lot of headshakes so I knew it was a kingfish. But after a couple mins into the fight my leader had snapped and the fish was gone.

Overall still a good day and got a feed . At the boat ramp while I was filleting the fish, there was quite a few people looking at what I had caught. One person said if they tasted nice, So I cut some up into sashimi pieces and gave it to a few people there with a bit of soy sauce and they all loved it.

20171217_123025.thumb.jpg.d95838fdb32362bb89515ce6fac13e1a.jpg

Screenshot_20180114-151456.png

Edited by sam bros
add photo
  • Like 3

Thanks for the report sam_bros.  Good stuff.  I have not had much luck with bonnies or kingies so far this year ... so missing the action and love hearing/reading about it. 

For me - fresh bled and iced bonnie fillets - basted with a bit of garlic and parsley - thrown on the BBQ flesh down then flipped to crisp the skin are :thumbup:.

BTW - what ramp is that?

Cheers

Zoran

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Nice outcome there Sam. Need heavier tackle for the Kingfish though. Good fun catching those species, trolling. bn

Thanks BN, I had heavier gear with me but it would'e taken too long to rig up a plastic on that. So I used the lighter gear 

Hopefully next time I'll land that kingy 

13 minutes ago, raging said:

What boat are you in so I can say g'day if I see you. I use that ramp pre dawn as wel

I have a 455 quintrex escape with a Honda 40hp outboard 

If you see me, come say hi. It'll be nice to meet some raiders.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Thanks for the report sam_bros.  Good stuff.  I have not had much luck with bonnies or kingies so far this year ... so missing the action and love hearing/reading about it. 

For me - fresh bled and iced bonnie fillets - basted with a bit of garlic and parsley - thrown on the BBQ flesh down then flipped to crisp the skin are :thumbup:.

BTW - what ramp is that?

Cheers

Zoran

The Bonnies are still around, so you haven't missed out yet.

I'l be sure to try your recipe next time.  Bonito taste pretty good.

The boat ramp is Tunks Park Boat Ramp

Thanks...always looking for new / upgraded ramps....been told that at Tunks parking can get narky and also I have a pretty long rig (approx 8m of boat trailer) so may be tight getting thru the suburban streets ..  currently I launch at  Forestville (Davidson Ramp)  when doing middle harbour and out wide from Sydney...

Cheers and thanks for sharing.

Zoran

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Thanks...always looking for new / upgraded ramps....been told that at Tunks parking can get narky and also I have a pretty long rig (approx 8m of boat trailer) so may be tight getting thru the suburban streets ..  currently I launch at  Forestville (Davidson Ramp)  when doing middle harbour and out wide from Sydney...

Cheers and thanks for sharing.

Zoran

Yeah it can get quite tight getting the boat into there

15 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

nice to see some fish from the harbor..bonnies are great fun....kings on 6lb don't work...rick

haha always worth shot, might land it next time

Well done Sam bros, - what plastic did you hook the King ?

I’m out twice a week (when weather permits) - I’ll look out for you (490 Quinny Fishabout with Blue canvas Bimini). Although 6lb is light, Ive bloated legal kings on bait jig rigs fishing for Yakkas - admittedly in deep water and it was a loooong fight and was certain I would get busted - just lucky I guess - it’s lots of fun though.

• Like 1

On 15/01/2018 at 6:30 PM, Rock&Beach said:

Nice fish mate. Well done on sharing the bonnies add a taste test

Thanks mate, they all loved it

4 hours ago, bojulabah said:

Well done Sam bros, - what plastic did you hook the King ?

I’m out twice a week (when weather permits) - I’ll look out for you (490 Quinny Fishabout with Blue canvas Bimini). Although 6lb is light, Ive bloated legal kings on bait jig rigs fishing for Yakkas - admittedly in deep water and it was a loooong fight and was certain I would get busted - just lucky I guess - it’s lots of fun though.

Thanks mate, I hooked it on a small 3inch clear flickbait on a very lightly weighted jighead. I always keep either this or a small halco twisty rigged up on the boat in case there is a bust up, so I can be ready to cast out straight away

Will keep an eye out for your boat.

I was using a very worn leader, so I wasn' very hopeful from the start.