Wet Weather Tactics

CJay

G'day Raiders! 

As we seem to be graced with the best weather for ducks for the next week, how do you guys and gals gear up for a wet session, and what target species do you chase?

Rain ,sleet , hail or snow we have all been there at some point chasing fish with high spirits and crinkly fingers! Though you might not come lucky even with a tackle box half filled with water it all seems so worth it, after all you've got to be in it to win it!

If you'd like to share some knowledge Throw in your tips and tricks and safety ideas whether fishing the slippery stones or ledges or stood on the wet deck offshore :)

Thanks yall!

Happy Fishing

il stand in my boat an fish all day in rain  but hate wind..a good quality raincoat that keeps out all water makes for a better experience..same on rocks.. I keep half a cloth nappy in my pocket to dry hands...I have found from Newcastle north the rocks are generally granite and pebble base rock..the best and safest footwear for wet rocks are black soled grass sport shoes with lots of little studs...south of here sandstone ledges coated in slime n weed require plates or screws for safe grip...rick

• Like 1

Fishing Eucumbene with sleet blowing in your face and snow on the mountain tops, weather on shore or in a boat there's still not much that beats the thrill of a great trout on the end of your line, Or standing in a boat 20 k's offshore with waves slapping up against the side of the boat and rain howling down so you can't see 10' in front of you, wouldn't miss it for the world.

That was then, these days give me calm waters and close to shore and the thrill is still there.

Frank

• Like 1

some of the trips last year for reds at broughton had us sitting next to shallow ground anchored up in twenty plus knots of noreaster as the arvo breeze kicked in..boat was buckin like a bitch goin up n down in huge chop  but   I wouldn't have missed it for the world...rick

• Like 1

Theres just something about those elements that put you that little bit more into mother nature hey, i enjoy hitting the beach barefoot in Summer taking just a rain mac,boardshorts and a handful of lures firing slugs into the surf trying to take a cheeky Tailor home for dinner ,  and after all if you get a bit cold the waters normally warmer than the air temperature these parts :D 

Best is to buy a quality Sailing Jacket. They cost from $500 - $1500 but you can get some really good prices at Boat Shows. I got a $1000 one for $400 at Sydney Boat Show with a small imperfection. These are incredible. Light weight, Warm, Total water proof and pockets everywhere. 

I can stand in rain and wind all day even in Winter. Have had crew almost get hyperthermia while I have been toasty. It’s all about having the right gear. They do more than keep you dry  

Grit your teeth and get wet! ??

I used to have a good quality sailing jacket. I think it may have flown out of the boat under tow once. ? Need to get a new one but I have a couple of cheap outfits in one of the forward storage lockers. I always have a few garbage bags on hand, though, for emergencies and just cut holes for the head and arms. Not the most stylish but it works!

Edited by Berleyguts

I was in Britain and I seen these survival jackets/outfits that the pro fisherman in the north sea wear so I bought one and wore it for many years while Hairtail fishing in the middle of winter, everyone else was inside the houseboat while I was outside catching the fish.

Frank

In winter when wet and cold I wear an old pair of ski pants - waterproof and warm. 

When hairtail-ing I wear a battery heated bike top under a rain jacket, the ski pants and fake $5 buck ugg boots. Some may say get an injection of concrete but I’m happy and warm in those bitterly cold Hawkesbury nights. 

Lastly, my better half just got me some waterproof socks for my birthday. Looking forward to giving them a go in the winter off the beach when I usually wear shoes. Shoes can get soaked but in theory my feet should be warm and dry. 

2 hours ago, Brew said:

In winter when wet and cold I wear an old pair of ski pants - waterproof and warm. 

When hairtail-ing I wear a battery heated bike top under a rain jacket, the ski pants and fake $5 buck ugg boots. Some may say get an injection of concrete but I’m happy and warm in those bitterly cold Hawkesbury nights. 

Lastly, my better half just got me some waterproof socks for my birthday. Looking forward to giving them a go in the winter off the beach when I usually wear shoes. Shoes can get soaked but in theory my feet should be warm and dry. 

Sounds interesting Brew, do you know what the socks are made of? If they are watertight they are surely going to make your feet warm! mybe a little sweaty but its better than cold feet on those long nights, cant beat a good flask of coffee to keep toasty too :D

8 hours ago, recurve said:

Best is to buy a quality Sailing Jacket. They cost from $500 - $1500 but you can get some really good prices at Boat Shows. I got a $1000 one for $400 at Sydney Boat Show with a small imperfection. These are incredible. Light weight, Warm, Total water proof and pockets everywhere. 

I can stand in rain and wind all day even in Winter. Have had crew almost get hyperthermia while I have been toasty. It’s all about having the right gear. They do more than keep you dry  

I got a helly hanson from the north manly HO they have a sale about twice a year cost me $150 so good can only wear it n=in the middle of winter I fish an open boa,t rest of he time got a rainjacket from uniquo keeps almost dry

11 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

il stand in my boat an fish all day in rain  but hate wind..a good quality raincoat that keeps out all water makes for a better experience..same on rocks.. I keep half a cloth nappy in my pocket to dry hands...I have found from Newcastle north the rocks are generally granite and pebble base rock..the best and safest footwear for wet rocks are black soled grass sport shoes with lots of little studs...south of here sandstone ledges coated in slime n weed require plates or screws for safe grip...rick

Hi Rick,

I currently fish out of a 4.3mtr runabout basically my first boat thinking of upgrading.thinking of a center console or cuddy cabin do you think the fishability of an open boat outweighs the comfort of a cuddy in bad weather?

1 hour ago, dirvin21 said:

if the fish are biting I'm there..... I'd fish under an erupting volcano

I like to cast around drains flowing out into the river especially floating the light weight cranka crab

No rain jacket needed there brother haha! Howd you go with the cranka crab? Ive been using the Smash Crab lures for a while and the Jews seem to love em!

Most cuddy type boats leak anyway- unless a full hardtop and you still need decent wet weather gear to fish - bib and brace with a quality rain jacket- bib and brace is damn good for winter too- I use the Burke stuff

19 hours ago, CJay said:

Sounds interesting Brew, do you know what the socks are made of? If they are watertight they are surely going to make your feet warm! mybe a little sweaty but its better than cold feet on those long nights, cant beat a good flask of coffee to keep toasty too :D

They’re made of bamboo rayon and modal. They feel soft and they say anti odour and blister free so we’ll see. 

In an open tinny like mine, just about everything gets wet.

Also be aware that in heavy rain, water will seep inside your reels and if not properly dried out, the internals will slowly corrode, even if filled with WD40, oil, grease, etc.

I still use my yellow sou-wester outfit. The plastic is starting to slowing dry out and tear, but then it is about 30 years old.

I still use thongs on the feet (not the really cheap ones), winter and summer, sometimes bare feet.

47 minutes ago, Yowie said:

In an open tinny like mine, just about everything gets wet.

Also be aware that in heavy rain, water will seep inside your reels and if not properly dried out, the internals will slowly corrode, even if filled with WD40, oil, grease, etc.

I still use my yellow sou-wester outfit. The plastic is starting to slowing dry out and tear, but then it is about 30 years old.

I still use thongs on the feet (not the really cheap ones), winter and summer, sometimes bare feet.

Thats it brother i have an open top but am not a fan of unsealed reels at all, I run with Penn 950ss ,Slammer 3 and a Saltist you can dunk the whole reel and still wind (happeed a few times on the yak) then just wash them down with fresh water and thats it!

Edited by CJay

On 03/02/2018 at 10:34 PM, blaxland said:

I got a helly hanson from the north manly HO they have a sale about twice a year cost me $150 so good can only wear it n=in the middle of winter I fish an open boa,t rest of he time got a rainjacket from uniquo keeps almost dry

Yupp that’s the type of quality you need for Winter Fishing. Worth the money toasty all night and day long. Add sailing boots and leggings and you are oblivious to the cold, even when underway with no shelter or hard top  

Quality sailing gear like what they use in the Ocean Racing. You literally can’t get wet or cold.....unless you fall in. 

On ‎4‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:04 AM, CJay said:

No rain jacket needed there brother haha! Howd you go with the cranka crab? Ive been using the Smash Crab lures for a while and the Jews seem to love em!

great bream lure when used correctly