kyle

Hi Kyle. I live here. The basin usually fishes ok around the drop off where the channel enters the basin. Other spots are just out from the weed beds around the bank as the depth can drop off quite fast. Across the middle and southern end the depth is around 9 metres. You can catch some good fish out deep away from the pickers. This is where I find the larger reddies. Some anchor and burley but I like a slow and steady drift. There are a lot here who lure fish and others who stick to bait. If a N.E. wind is blowing you can forget fishing on the southern end of the basin as it gets too rough but around the northern end it would be fine. Jim

Fishing around the ribbon weed drop offs with plastics is a sure fire method to catch the fish you mention.

50-65mm grubs on light jig heads and leaders will work well on bream along with flathead. If you want to target flatties, up your plastic size to 100 or 125mm and fish a heavier jig head around 7-10g, even heavier if the wind's up. You'll get the odd pan size reddy fishing like this but the jewfish are a lot harder to come by.

You can also chase bream and whiting up on the flats using surface lures. This works best when the wind is up and casting around the edges of the weed.

10 hours ago, JimC said:

Hi Kyle. I live here. The basin usually fishes ok around the drop off where the channel enters the basin. Other spots are just out from the weed beds around the bank as the depth can drop off quite fast. Across the middle and southern end the depth is around 9 metres. You can catch some good fish out deep away from the pickers. This is where I find the larger reddies. Some anchor and burley but I like a slow and steady drift. There are a lot here who lure fish and others who stick to bait. If a N.E. wind is blowing you can forget fishing on the southern end of the basin as it gets too rough but around the northern end it would be fine. Jim

Thank you for your advice this helps me out so much, Are the artificial reefs any good and what burley would you recommend?

9 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Fishing around the ribbon weed drop offs with plastics is a sure fire method to catch the fish you mention.

50-65mm grubs on light jig heads and leaders will work well on bream along with flathead. If you want to target flatties, up your plastic size to 100 or 125mm and fish a heavier jig head around 7-10g, even heavier if the wind's up. You'll get the odd pan size reddy fishing like this but the jewfish are a lot harder to come by.

You can also chase bream and whiting up on the flats using surface lures. This works best when the wind is up and casting around the edges of the weed.

Thank you for your help, what soft plastics would you recommend i fish with gulps but am willing to give z-mans a try

I have never tried fishing the reef area so cannot comment .It is a nursery area so I stay clear and let the Basin restock after netting some years ago. Burly.. lots of different things from chicken pellets soaked in tuna oil, bread and mashed up fish  with tuna oil. Almost anything can be used. There are some commercial burly mixes available. Just use whatever is on hand, even dog pellets. Have fun exploring options

8 hours ago, kyle said:

Thank you for your help, what soft plastics would you recommend i fish with gulps but am willing to give z-mans a try

Gulps go well, but lately I've been liking Z-man 2-1/2 inch grubz for the bream and 5 inch jerkshadz for the flattys etc. Natural colours and motor oil have been working for me.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 2:55 PM, JimC said:

Hi JimC, when I lived at the basin 30yrs ago I never seen or heard of reddies or jewies (as in the map) ever being caught there, but there was still netting going on then, but have had some very nice taylor around 40-50cm in the middle of the basin

I can remember many years back when i was a youngster there was a book called "Fish and fisheries of Australia" written by T.C.Roughley. A beautiful colour plate book of Australian fish. This was around 1950 or so. In it he states that St Georges Basin was one of the biggest breeding grounds for snapper on the east coast.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 3:37 PM, Green Hornet said:

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:24 PM, kyle said:

g'day all, I'm planning on going Dow to the St Georges besin for a weekend and was wondering what's lures should i use for the best outcome im targeting flathead, jew fish and bream. 

a442f411f64978eace279ab46e9a6ea3 (2).jpg

here are the results, certsinly didnt dissapoint me thank you all for the help and advice ill definitly be going down there again

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

• Like 1