Light Spinning Rod's - What's your choice?

paultim71

Hi all,

My more recent light spinning rod of choice was my trusty Shimano Catana (702), which is a 2-4kg rod that is pretty light and paired up well with my Stradic Ci4+ 2500 reel. Unfortunately last weekend I snapped the rod, so i'm in the market for a new one. I was going to buy another Catana 702, as I liked that rod a lot, was great for flicking SP's. But before I go ahead and order another Catana, I thought i'd check here to see what other people are using for light spinning, mainly for flicking SPs for flathead and bream.

Cheers,

Paul

+1 for a catana 702 to, they are a great rod for the money (was my first plastics combo sienna/catana combo and apart from snapping the tip a few years ago...  its still going strong with a new tip).
Also had a pflueger trion 2-4 kg which was good - broke that to  due to user error... the connection point between the 2 pieces got pinched in my boots goose neck and crushed the rod. still works but wouldn't really count on it for a big fish... is good as a squid rod  i guess.
Also use 2 sahara rods (got them as combos with symetre reels) in: 7ft 2-4kg and 6f10 in 2-5kg... they are ok rods for the most part but i did find that the largest guide on the 7ft sahara was cracked recently due to unknown reasons... I cant for the life of me figure out why the ceramic ring cracked and broke there but it broke closest to the rod blank and i don't recall any incident on breaking or dropping it so oh well... they are my land based gear so get used more than others. the line doesn't seem to contact where the sharp cracked bit is so i am just playing russian roulette when fishing with it haha.

My 'nice' outfit which i only seem use when on a boat seems to be my daiwa generation black wicked weasel 2-6kg (gen 1) paired to shimano stradic FK3000HG.

All rods perform the same for the most part, personally i don't see the need for throwing to much money at a rod. you'll just cry more when it breaks haha.

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2018 at 7:57 PM, Jewhunter said:

It really comes down to how much you want to spend...

I don't mind spending around $150, even $200 at a push if there was something really good. My Catana was my most used rod, i do a lot of light lure fishing (mainly with SPs) for flatties and bream, so for me, having a decent rod is going to be money well spent

If you can find them, check out the Crony rods - my Crony Weapon ll 701L is by far my favourite rod - line rating of 4-10lb, takes a bit to get used to the short butt, now when I go back to a regular length butt it feels odd. Very light blank, nice action and responsiveness made up with Fuji fittings. 

Its so good, I'm thinking about buying a spare as I'd be gutted if I ever broke it. I know my local has a few of them put away.

I was at a fisho night and they had a sponsored tournament guy speaking, his advice was spend your money on a good rod and just use OK reels, his argument was that rods are the connection to lures and fish and even very good reels will wear out long before a rod does.

• Thanks 1

Shimano Raider bream finesse 2-4kg 7 foot 6 inches 2 piece 3-12 gram lure weight. Slightly stiffer and a little more responsive than the Catana 702. It is also the rod I'd choose if you told me I could only fish with one rod for the rest of my life (big call but I've been using it for over a decade).

I also own a Wicked Weasel. I think it is a great blank but it has been relegated to kayak duties as I find the butt a little too long to comfortably work with my style of plastics fishing from the shore. I flick through the wrist with the rod tip close to the water and the longer butt strikes up against my forearm.

If you keep an eye out you can find them for $100 on special but usually around the $120. Just be a little careful with the cork when you screw the reel seat down.

Edited by DerekD
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/20/2018 at 10:56 PM, DerekD said:

Shimano Raider bream finesse 2-4kg 7 foot 6 inches 2 piece 3-12 gram lure weight. 

Hey Derek, did you also considered the 722 2-4kg by any chance? I'm tossing up between the 722 and the 762. I mainly throw plastics and may use it to do some squidding here and there.

22 hours ago, Kevin1 said:

Hey Derek, did you also considered the 722 2-4kg by any chance? I'm tossing up between the 722 and the 762. I mainly throw plastics and may use it to do some squidding here and there.

Hi Kevin,

I did but the 722 1-4kg has a 3-10gm lure rating and the 762 has a 3-12gm lure rating. The 2gms shouldn't make a difference in real terms but since I like to push the gear a little I try and stay within the manufacturers recommendations.

For product references the model I believe you are talking about is RDR722BREAM as per Shimano Product website https://www.shimanofish.com.au/content/fish/oceania/au/en/homepage/productdetail.P-RAIDER.html

Both are fantastic rods in my opinion (for my style of soft plastics and squid fishing and I've landed a few kings on them over the years too). I've converted a few people to them over the years. I don't have Shimano sponsorship but I like their products and the Shimano team has looked after me with services and the few times I have had problems.

Regards,

Derek

PS: When matching it to a reel just make sure there is no obvious play in the reel foot when mounted to the rod.

PPS: I store a number of rods in my car in Seahorse rod tubes. These are flattened blue tube with yellow caps. The shortest one in the series (think it is 1.2m long) suits my raider perfectly. Suggest you look at these or something similar to protect your investment.

Edited by DerekD

All I can say is rods are one thing & the guides are another.

I have a light Shimano Sahara rod & have had to replace 3 guides where the outer metal rings has just split & the round inner ring had just popped out.

Out of the warranty period but still a QA issue where inferior guides were used.

A local store wanted to charge me $50 per guide which was more than the rod was worth so I just bought new Fuji guides & did it myself.

Just a reminder that while they look the same parts used on rods are not all the same.

I would be hesitant in buying a rod without something in similar quality to Fuji guides or just Fuji's themselves!

Oils aints oils as the old saying goes!

Edited by kingie chaser

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

A local store wanted to charge me $50 per guide

Hah! Tell him he’s dreaming.

lower range shimano rods use seaguides. Never had an issue. But my custom rods are all fuji k stainless with alconite inserts

5 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

All I can say is rods are one thing & the guides are another.

Just a reminder that while they look the same parts used on rods are not all the same.

I would be hesitant in buying a rod without something in similar quality to Fuji guides or just Fuji's themselves!

Hi again,

Agree with you about the guides. From what I understand the series 1 Raider rods came with Fuji guides and a rod bag. Series 2 (Mexican Fire) Raider rods came with a cheaper brand of guides and the rod bag. For series 3 Raiders (current series) they have gone back to the Fuji guides but dropped the rod bag.

I have seen the Fuji guides have the same sort of cracking described above but they were not the stainless series. While my go to daily rods don't get physically abused they don't get cleaned down after each session either. For the price point that they are I'm not going to waste the time or effort. My rods (and reels) in the $200 - $350 range do get cleaned wiped down with Inox but it might be weeks between uses.

Regards,

Derek

Rod enthusiasts might know more, but before I bought a combo from a shop a couple of years ago I looked into rods, and particularly the lower end Shimano graphite rods.

At the time, I ended up with a couple of Shimano Sonic Pro rods, which I understood to be a rebadged Catana rod.

Part of the pricing and distribution agreement with a shop and other stores has a shop (just like Bunnings does) with a lower price point due to bulk volume sales but to protect other retailers the products are rebadged.

Guest Guest123456789

Have been using a 5 foot Jarvis walker kids rod for last two years now. Chucked out the reel - cost $15. I paired with a 2000 shimano sedona with 6lbs daiwa j braid x4 running platypus low stretch clear mono 6lbs(line doubled with uni knot to terminal tackle).

its stiff tipped and durable, fits nice in a rod holder and imparts heaps of movement through the lure. Caught some very nice flathead and bream from a boat using SP’s and hard bodies. Also caught rat kings and a 3 kg Mack tuna as by catch (nearly spooled). It doesn’t cast far though which doesn’t worry me.