First time outin 'Open waters' - The peak & Sydney East FAD

Ojay Samson

Hey all, so I made 2 vids yesterday arvo of 2 separate fishing outings. This is a following vid of me venturing out further than I have ever before to build up the confidence as I figured its about high time now I start going outside. In hindsight I probably should have picked a better day to go out as the 2IC was not to pleased with me that day as I sold the prospect of going out to check out the fad and peak as it was a quick affair which would have only took 20 or so minutes based on the boats cruising speed of 20ish knots…. oh, how wrong I was in even thinking I would come close to that speed as it probably took over an hour to get there as I was going a max of around 7 knots as I didn’t want to be bashed around and it being the first time I’ve gone outside that far, didn’t want to push my novice skills.

All in all, it was a good day out now knowing what my little boat can do, and how far it can travel, at least when not on the plane (it drunk the full forward tank which was 22L getting out there from foreshore ramp and back to about 2km out from the heads… I was carrying ~100L of fuel that day just to be sure I wouldn’t run out of fuel, already learnt that lesson the hard way in the harbour before).

Anyway, got the Sydney East FAD and did about 6 drifts total, threw out 1 livie and tried strip baits of yakka fillets and squid strips to no interest. In the end I tried my luck with my trusty rapala xrap sxr10, first cast and I had a taker right at the boat… my first ever Dolphinfish (my mission for the day was to catch my first ever dolly… so mission accomplished). He was only a small one so had a quick photo and back in the drink he went. That was about the most action I had at the fad so decided to move to the Peak a little bit further out.
Got to the mark and sounded it up to find the spot (I need to figure out how to change the settings on my fish finder to deeper water as it was struggling a bit as I remember setting it up when I got it for shallow water).
Started my drift with 1 rod with a livie, 1 with a yakka fillet and 1 other rod I was using with a knife jig. The rod with the yakka fillet got all the action where I got a hook up and line started peeling and rod buckling, started reeling it in (quite different to what I’m used to with 20ish Metres being the deepest I usually need tor retrieve). It came up and sure enough it was a barracouta (also another first fish for me so was chuffed with myself. Did another few drifts past the peak for 1 more take, once again on the yakka strip, however once the fluoro leader got to the first rod guide the fish magically managed to spit the hook out, oh well...
After this decided to head back in (roughly around 10am).

Thanks for reading.

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

• Like 1