Pittwater Success

joking fish

Had a free afternoon to do what I do best. Fishing! I looked at the weather forecast yesterday and it predicted 20+ km per hour winds so I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived at Palm Beach to be greeted by a warm afternoon with hardly a breath of wind. I immediately started burly with chook pellets mixed with tuna oil. There was a lot of micro bait and the conditions looked very fishy. My first cast I caught an under size red. Great start! I arrived at 3.40pm and fished until sundown at 5.48pm. Over the course of the afternoon I lost about 6-7 really good fish that snagged me around the pylons. I was fishing with whole Pilchards on size 3/0 gang hooks. I was using 16 kg leader and 4 kg main line. I lost countless rigs over the afternoon and went through quite a few hooks. I also got sharked at least once. For my perseverance I was rewarded with a 59 cm Flathead. This was my first legal fish of the day. I also landed 2 Snapper that were 31 and 34 cm respectively. I cant remember any other calm water land based fishing session where I have landed 2 legal Reds myself. I have done it before deep sea fishing and there was a session a few years ago with my brother where we each landed 1 legal Red but anyone who knows Sydney inshore waters knows legal Reds are hard to come by. There must have been lots of them out there today and I am sure I lost a few bigger ones. The head shakes are a dead giveaway. Right at the end of the day I landed a 32 cm Tailor. This was the icing on the cake. About 4.30 pm a photographer rocked up with a half naked Asian model in a bikini. I said to the photographer "you have the best job in the world." They both laughed and started to do a photo shoot together. After about 15 minutes of racy photos they waved good bye and left. It was certainly an exceptional day for more reasons than one reason.

30742761_10155957994120399_2508141959351252773_n[1].jpg

• Like 3

I agree legal size reds from the shore are very rare indeed so landing two is definitely a great acheivement.

In all my years fishing from the shore ive only ever landed 2 legal snapper, one which spat the hook halfway lifting it up the rock ledge. So technically only 1 :blink:

though there are some places with the right burley strategy i have heard of consistent legal reds can be caught but i doubt u will find anyone to share those locations in a public forum !! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joking fish said:

The Ferry Wharf but please keep hush hush. It's a well kept secret don't want the fobs turning up and taking 50-100 undersize fish in a session.

Used to fish around there years ago but thanks for the reminder about it! Even drove past there yesterday! The reds are a great catch well done