A girl from Cowan

savit

Haven't posted for a while in the report section.

The weather forecast for the weekend was meant to be very 'promising'. A the same time  my 'kayak itch' was developing, so snelling hooks, checking the gear or similar 'housework' was not an option. Decided to seek sheltered waters and went to Cowan for a yak session on a Sat morning. Took pilchards (as a backup plan) and a plenty of lures.  It was windy however more gusts than permanent wind,  kayak handled it with ease even without the rudder.  So I continued to paddle.  Regular showers in a waterproof hat (thanks to  @HenryR old advice)  in a cool wet  weather did not bother me. 

At the spot  I rigged a piece of pilchard on a weighted hook and put a rod in a back rod holder hoping for some lure action.  Once I took a 2nd/lure rod in a hand  -  I felt a 'vibro call' through the body of a yak.  I thought  - young bream pickers, and casted my SP.  Then I felt a weight on a bait rod behind me, so I  reeled the SP quickly back. Started winching the bait rod - something heavy on a line.  Soon I saw a close to 1 meter white log in a water. I thought  - finally Jew from kayak ! , then a log turned over and I saw big square head (bloody PJ!? in Cowan??? ) , then I managed to pull it closer to the 'boat' and a saw  a flat head of the fish.  Big girl had 5 or so runs.  A few times a I weakened and re-tightened the drag hoping that Big W 4 size hook will not let me down.  When the big girl was exhausted I had a dilemma whether to pull the fish to the shore or try to take it aboard.  A shore was a bit away, so paddling  and pulling the fish in a water probably  would take a while.  I managed to put a fish in landing net when the fish was a bit quiet,  and pulled it in a yak. The last thing that I wanted -  was a big girl lap dance in a  65 cm narrow tippy kayak with all the head spikes and usual flathead landing  'fun'.   The girl was  unusually quiet in a kayak (unlike her 60cm brother a few weeks ago). So I paddled to the shore  to measure the fish, make some photos and bring the fish back.  The flathead was 88 cm ( PB for me ).  The big girl was released in the same spot to multiply and harass local bait fish population.  A few bites, however no catches later.

Alvey 500 size and very Ugly Stik did the job.

No feed,  cold and wet a$$, a smile for the day, new PB , a few pictures and plenty of good memories. 

Tight lines!

IMG_20180512_093450.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Welster said:

Awesome fish and write up.    I have never seen a yak fisher using an alvey before.   Are you using mono?

Thank you Welster. I have read that fish yakers on Palm beach (Gold Coast) use/used Alveys on their Stealthes  however never saw it on youtube. I use mono though I do not do any depth fishing (so far) or high speed troling. I have read that NZ yakkers use braid on alveys ! There are also couple videos on youtube with russian guy using alveys in NZ. I can use alvey for bait casting  and bait drifting- no issues with twist . However trolling larger bait while paddling gives some unpleasant twist. I dunked a few eggbeaters in the past - and they are not so smooth since then after service (35 y.o. Daiwa (which l trolled once  for 2km in the water) that you can see on the other side of kayak photo - is an exception)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aardvarking said:

Great flathead, must have been a lot of fun landing that from a kayak

Thanks mate. Yes it was  some totally unexpected fun. Though once I noticed that the end of hook was sticking out of the mouth lip (no leader to be chewed) it became 'tire the fish' game . The fish tend to pull down most of the time  just under the center of kayak so I might have had totally  different consequences with light graphite rod.

2 hours ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Mate you need a bigger net!!

Thanks mate. Larger net would look like a sail on my narrow yak  :)  May be worth considering it :) I have a gaff for a larger fish if it meant to be caught for feed. 

Thanks mate.

Some unforgettable wet experience in the past and Van Staal or ZeeBaas are not an option at the moment :). On a serious note , Alveys can be quite practical on a yak if  Alvey rig is a bit modded. 

On 13/05/2018 at 11:15 AM, savit said:

Haven't posted for a while in the report section.

The weather forecast for the weekend was meant to be very 'promising'. A the same time  my 'kayak itch' was developing, so snelling hooks, checking the gear or similar 'housework' was not an option. Decided to seek sheltered waters and went to Cowan for a yak session on a Sat morning. Took pilchards (as a backup plan) and a plenty of lures.  It was windy however more gusts than permanent wind,  kayak handled it with ease even without the rudder.  So I continued to paddle.  Regular showers in a waterproof hat (thanks to  @HenryR old advice)  in a cool wet  weather did not bother me. 

At the spot  I rigged a piece of pilchard on a weighted hook and put a rod in a back rod holder hoping for some lure action.  Once I took a 2nd/lure rod in a hand  -  I felt a 'vibro call' through the body of a yak.  I thought  - young bream pickers, and casted my SP.  Then I felt a weight on a bait rod behind me, so I  reeled the SP quickly back. Started winching the bait rod - something heavy on a line.  Soon I saw a close to 1 meter white log in a water. I thought  - finally Jew from kayak ! , then a log turned over and I saw big square head (bloody PJ!? in Cowan??? ) , then I managed to pull it closer to the 'boat' and a saw  a flat head of the fish.  Big girl had 5 or so runs.  A few times a I weakened and re-tightened the drag hoping that Big W 4 size hook will not let me down.  When the big girl was exhausted I had a dilemma whether to pull the fish to the shore or try to take it aboard.  A shore was a bit away, so paddling  and pulling the fish in a water probably  would take a while.  I managed to put a fish in landing net when the fish was a bit quiet,  and pulled it in a yak. The last thing that I wanted -  was a big girl lap dance in a  65 cm narrow tippy kayak with all the head spikes and usual flathead landing  'fun'.   The girl was  unusually quiet in a kayak (unlike her 60cm brother a few weeks ago). So I paddled to the shore  to measure the fish, make some photos and bring the fish back.  The flathead was 88 cm ( PB for me ).  The big girl was released in the same spot to multiply and harass local bait fish population.  A few bites, however no catches later.

Alvey 500 size and very Ugly Stik did the job.

No feed,  cold and wet a$$, a smile for the day, new PB , a few pictures and plenty of good memories. 

Tight lines!

IMG_20180512_093450.jpg

Good lizard there mate, great fish ??and good on u for the release!

Hats off to u ! 

• 3 weeks later...