Hmm... Dinner, or Bait?

Berleyguts

Took my boat to the local dealer yesterday for a routine service on my 60 ETEC. He rang yesterday to say it’s running well but needs a new solenoid, under warranty. Left it overnight as the part needed to be ordered. Well, it didn’t come in today, so I am boatless for a few days. I could have picked it up and used it on the weekend then take it back next week but I’ve lost my voice and am pretty crook with a cold, so I thought I’d rest up... but... I’m going stir crazy!

I stopped in for a look at a breakwall near home this afternoon. Good to see the luderick are looking active. Then I spotted a few squid moving around. Headed home and grabbed a rod and some jigs. Got one nice fat one, then lost another and that was it. Also lost a decent bream on a Squidgie.

It’s a good size but I’m torn. Do I cook it, or try and convert it into a snapper or a jewie?! ?

05D81486-91EA-426D-97A5-FDE82EEE29AD.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, JonD said:

Eat it and keep the head for bait.:)

Yeah, why not? There’s enough for an entree. I’ve never cooked any squid I’ve caught before. Always use them for bait. I’ve just made the rings. Kept the head, tentacles and flaps for bait (cryovacced). ?

C10C83DA-4DC0-486D-83D8-2D6B7871ADF2.jpeg

EEE98B5D-D339-42E3-A138-1EB1168BEAF0.jpeg

• Like 3

Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush eat it catch some more for bait. Out of all the live squid Ive used to target a certain species only 1 worked most have been picked to pieces, Mind you only been fishing out of a boat for 2 years.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, blaxland said:

Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush eat it catch some more for bait. Out of all the live squid Ive used to target a certain species only 1 worked most have been picked to pieces, Mind you only been fishing out of a boat for 2 years.

Had calamari rings for dinner! Yum! He would have made a HUGE live bait! I like the smaller ones as livies. Last one caught a jew. Only a small one but I plan a trip back to that same hole with some live squid, among other selections, including live yakkas, tailor fillets and plastics. Gonna make it a mission!

2 hours ago, iconnolly said:

Cook for one minute!!!  Don't do what I did the first time and cook them for 15 to 20 thinking "nah not eating raw squid".  Rubber bands are hard to digest and chew ha ha .

??? 15-20 minutes?! Holy crap! I wouldn’t even cook a 2” steak that long! I must admit though, I like my meat rare. And I do like sashimi - raw squid’s OK, too!

Dipped the rings in seasoned flour. Cooked in oil for 1 minute. Yummo! ? 

• Like 1