Which fish is this ?,Off Beach. (Salmon/Kahawai)

TheSillySalmon

Question

25 answers to this question

So I fished the same spot a week later and got this beauty (for me anyways ahah) . 

I posted it in a fishing report and judging from my fellows fishos responses there I am now very confident it’s a tailor . However I thought I may as well post it here as well .. two heads are better than one . ?

ACCB952A-B5C8-45FA-A0B4-F4C920B1D859.jpeg

Here is a good photo comparison

image.png.15a84e239db3a30a2aeebce355ba516d.png

Australian Salmon above ( always swim to the left)

image.png.9badd95d176bd58dc5a539d8ff4ed0b6.png

Tailor above( Always swim to the right)

Only joking of course but interestingly, an old fishing book I have describes the Tailor as having a "Pugnacious" look about it which means  "eager or quick to argue, quarrel, or fight."

I must admit I can see that in the Tailor's head!... what a cranky looking b@$t@rd!

Compare the two attitudes in the pictures.. This is what they are saying...

Salmon: " What? I'm just swimmin' mate... chill out!

Tailor: " You talkin' to me..."YOU TALKIN' TO ME! .. I'll  'ave ya!.. C'Mon!

I joke too earlier in the post about the eating quality of the Salmon in my fake scientific name and certainly both the Salmon and the Tailor are not what I would call the best quality table fish but they do vastly improve if you apply the very best practices with the fish.

"Kill em , bleed 'em and ice 'em" and then eat them that day.

A lot of people like to smoke them or make fish cakes out of them. There are some great recipes on the Fishraider site.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Jim, and Silly Salmon:

A fillet from a 35 to 40 cm tailor, bread crumbed and pan fried, or marinated in lime juice for half an hour then onto the BBQ plate, nothing wrong with tailor either way.

The salmon is not as good as that. O.K. for fish cakes, though the smaller ones can be gutted, stuffed with a home made fried rice mixture including some chopped bacon and egg, drizzled with lemon juice, wrapped in foil and baked in the oven.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, fragmeister said:

Here is a good photo comparison

image.png.15a84e239db3a30a2aeebce355ba516d.png

Australian Salmon above ( always swim to the left)

image.png.9badd95d176bd58dc5a539d8ff4ed0b6.png

Tailor above( Always swim to the right)

Only joking of course but interestingly, an old fishing book I have describes the Tailor as having a "Pugnacious" look about it which means  "eager or quick to argue, quarrel, or fight."

I must admit I can see that in the Tailor's head!... what a cranky looking b@$t@rd!

Compare the two attitudes in the pictures.. This is what they are saying...

Salmon: " What? I'm just swimmin' mate... chill out!

Tailor: " You talkin' to me..."YOU TALKIN' TO ME! .. I'll  'ave ya!.. C'Mon!

I joke too earlier in the post about the eating quality of the Salmon in my fake scientific name and certainly both the Salmon and the Tailor are not what I would call the best quality table fish but they do vastly improve if you apply the very best practices with the fish.

"Kill em , bleed 'em and ice 'em" and then eat them that day.

A lot of people like to smoke them or make fish cakes out of them. There are some great recipes on the Fishraider site.

Cheers

Jim

Tailor and Pike Eels are both angry looking critters- you just know they want to bite you given half a chance

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2018 at 3:36 PM, fragmeister said:

Granted Yowie... but I bet you would rather eat one of those many flatties you pull out of the Hacking!

I like the flatties as well, more so the blue spots or tigers caught outside than the duskies.

Sorry for being a bit blunt but why don't you have some sort of fish id. Simply put you need to know what species you are catching if you intend keeping any, you also need to know legal sizes and quotas etc. Didn't you recently post other fish including protected species ( black cod ) you didn't know what they were.

Guest Guest123456789
7 hours ago, fragmeister said:

Yep..can't agree more.

...must get a new smoker.

Can you recommend one?

i personally like a Weber kettle

On 8/4/2018 at 12:07 AM, TheSillySalmon said:

Thanks everyone for the replies , much appreciated!!! I think it’s time to set my eyes on some Trevally next ... :) 

I think it's time you set your eyes on some fish identification charts, just in case the "Trevally" turns out to be a Bream. Good luck mate. bn

• Thanks 1

NSW Fisheries provides fish identification booklets from time to time, with pictures of the more commonly caught species, and bag and size limits.

The newer fishos should grab one of these for reference info. and keep it in the tackle box. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Yowie said:

NSW Fisheries provides fish identification booklets from time to time, with pictures of the more commonly caught species, and bag and size limits.

The newer fishos should grab one of these for reference info. and keep it in the tackle box. 

Cheers Yowie

On 8/4/2018 at 5:28 PM, JonD said:

Sorry for being a bit blunt but why don't you have some sort of fish id. Simply put you need to know what species you are catching if you intend keeping any, you also need to know legal sizes and quotas etc. Didn't you recently post other fish including protected species ( black cod ) you didn't know what they were.

Hey mate , 

No I never posted anything of the sorts about protected  species . You’ve  gotten me mixed up with  someone else (check my post history if you want). And I’ve never kept any fish I’ve caught (let alone an undersized one -not that I have anything against people keeping legal fish for eating purposes). . 

Cheers anyway , I will take your advice and get myself a fish ID :) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheSillySalmon said:

Hey mate , 

No I never posted anything of the sorts about protected  species . You’ve  gotten me mixed up with  someone else (check my post history if you want). And I’ve never kept any fish I’ve caught (let alone an undersized one -not that I have anything against people keeping legal fish for eating purposes). . 

Cheers anyway , I will take your advice and get myself a fish ID :) 

No problem, good idea to get an id chart, they are free. You can get the measure stickers which have most common species as well as the booklets at most tackle stores free ( these are the fisheries ones ).

No need for any checking, just a coincidence someone posted a similar thread a couple of days before, infact saw one posted yesterday where someone posted another black cod on the filleting table among the snapper (on Facebook). A simple mistake can end up extremely costly, it's also good to know the dangerous species with venomous spines.

• Like 1