Browns Rock report - with a word of warning.

notoriousTASH

10 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Only problem with moving Jon is that there are a lot more drownings on inland waterways- oh wait a minute, maybe that means they will focus on what is actually a problem- Nanny state strikes again.

Don't get me started on statistics of drownings in bath tubs, that one is huge.

3 hours ago, JonD said:

Don't forget not only do they need the 5 ticks but they also need to be in date. If you have bought any manual or self inflating jackets you will need to carry an itemised receipt proving when you purchased it.

Yes, that’s right. I keep the receipt and the annual checklist at home. Photocopies of both go in the waterproof tube with the maritime charts, which is stored forward in my boat. You also need to record the annual inspection date on the PFD. I find this pretty easy to manage but I can see that it could be a hassle in a kayak, or even an open boat with no dry storage.

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Yes, that’s right. I keep the receipt and the annual checklist at home. Photocopies of both go in the waterproof tube with the maritime charts, which is stored forward in my boat. You also need to record the annual inspection date on the PFD. I find this pretty easy to manage but I can see that it could be a hassle in a kayak, or even an open boat with no dry storage.

58 minutes ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Thanks for the reminder, just checked my life jacket, nearly 2 yrs old and I haven't serviced it yet. Time to get on it.

I believe not all inflatable jackets can be serviced by us and all of them need manufactures service after two years ( according to maritime ). A service often costs more than a new one,  any rust at all on the cylinder and maritime will hit you with a fine down here. 

Mrs and I were just having a laugh about this saying if a cop asks you where you're life jacket is and it seems inevitable you'll get a fine, jump in the water and start to pretend like you're drowning. Then they have to jump in and save you. Then when you get out, thank them for saving your life, then let them issue you a fine. At least you got them wet in the process ?

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, JonD said:

I believe not all inflatable jackets can be serviced by us and all of them need manufactures service after two years ( according to maritime ). A service often costs more than a new one,  any rust at all on the cylinder and maritime will hit you with a fine down here. 

All brands I’ve owned can be self serviced... and that is Burke, Axis and whatever brand is my latest. A service is recommended after 3 or 5 years but is not compulsory. I guess if a service was needed, I would probably just buy a new one (trade in at the ramp like my last one). If there is rust in a cylinder (never had it happen), then the owner could not be doing their checks correctly. It costs about $20 for a new cylinder and valve thingy.

If I get 5 years use (or even 3) out of a $60 - $100 inflateable PFD, I’m happy enough with that.  I wear it because I want to, I hardly know it’s there and because it makes sense in my boating situation... not because of the regulations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notoriousTASH said:

Mrs and I were just having a laugh about this saying if a cop asks you where you're life jacket is and it seems inevitable you'll get a fine, jump in the water and start to pretend like you're drowning. Then they have to jump in and save you. Then when you get out, thank them for saving your life, then let them issue you a fine. At least you got them wet in the process ?

Or better yet, after they get out all wet. Ask them to issue themselves a fine for "assisting you" without a life jacket ?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, notoriousTASH said:

that's brilliant!! If he jumped in he WOULDN'T be able to fine you. If he's got  paper tickets they'd all be soggy and unwritable, if he's got an electronic machine it'd be cactus. BRILLIANT!!! HAHAHA

• Haha 1

On 8/13/2018 at 8:51 PM, Berleyguts said:

All brands I’ve owned can be self serviced... and that is Burke, Axis and whatever brand is my latest. A service is recommended after 3 or 5 years but is not compulsory. I guess if a service was needed, I would probably just buy a new one (trade in at the ramp like my last one). If there is rust in a cylinder (never had it happen), then the owner could not be doing their checks correctly. It costs about $20 for a new cylinder and valve thingy.

If I get 5 years use (or even 3) out of a $60 - $100 inflateable PFD, I’m happy enough with that.  I wear it because I want to, I hardly know it’s there and because it makes sense in my boating situation... not because of the regulations.

I ran this by our local maritime officer today who still stands by only self serving for the first year ( with some manufacturers) the second has to be done by the manufacturer. I've owned Burke, marlin, hutchwilco, axis and nautilus. The hutchwilco is the only one that has the 5 year stamp boxes inside but even that according to maritime doesn't mean I can fill all those five services myself, just the first year as it doesn't state I can do them all myself. Truthfully I find maritime to be full of their own self importance and way to eager to give warnings or write out fines. All of my inflatable jackets are now out of date according to maritime.

I find I have enough to think about before any trip offshore making sure the kids have sunblock, buffs, lfejackets, water, fishing gear cameras battery's  etc etc, so just buy the foamies these days. Literally everything gets checked from the lanyard on the bucket to the battery's in the waterproof torch on a regular basis by maritime, it can be a real pain when they park their boat blocking one side of the boat ramp then check every boat using the other side. I questioned why they check our epirbs at the ramp, we don't need them unless we are 2nm offshore, reply was " Sir you have it on your boat it needs to be indate "  

There's been times when the sumertime daily checks push me to almost giving up boating.http://maritimemanagement.transport.nsw.gov.au/lifejackets/lifejacket-servicing-and-maintenance/index.html

By the way I own a full floatation suit which meets international safety standards for world  yacht racing, according to maritime because it doesn't have an Australian standards mark it's not acceptable to be used in place of a pfd1, even though the floatation and thermal value greatly accedes a self inflating pfd. I went through many calls to maritime and Aus standards trying to rectify this but eventually gave up, try finding what a Aus standard is and who actually tests them.

Edited by JonD

Fair enough. When I did my new for old exchange at the local ramp in December, I asked the Maritime guys about the self-testing, showed them my records and was told that what I was doing was fine. The guys I’ve met from Maritime have always been cool with me! A couple of times in the Bay they’ve motored over to check me out, then seen that I was wearing my inflateable, waved, then moved onto the next boat. Never had a problem.

The section on self-servicing in the link you provided is self-explanatory  and if you maintain your records as stated and follow the self-service inspection checklist to the letter (not just ticking and flicking), you really can’t go wrong. I have stickers on my boat, where I mark the due service or replacement date for all my safety equipment (PFDs, flares, EPIRB). These are also on the wall of the garage so I notice them when I walk past. When the PFD check date falls due, it’s a simple matter to take the PFDs off their hooks in the garage and conduct the checks, e.g. check cylinder and weigh, test firing mechanism, inflate jacket and leave overnight to ensure it doesn’t go down etc. I find it a really simple process.

Edited by Berleyguts

On 8/14/2018 at 10:25 PM, JonD said:

I ran this by our local maritime officer today who still stands by only self serving for the first year ( with some manufacturers) the second has to be done by the manufacturer. I've owned Burke, marlin, hutchwilco, axis and nautilus. The hutchwilco is the only one that has the 5 year stamp boxes inside but even that according to maritime doesn't mean I can fill all those five services myself, just the first year as it doesn't state I can do them all myself. Truthfully I find maritime to be full of their own self importance and way to eager to give warnings or write out fines. All of my inflatable jackets are now out of date according to maritime.

I find I have enough to think about before any trip offshore making sure the kids have sunblock, buffs, lfejackets, water, fishing gear cameras battery's  etc etc, so just buy the foamies these days. Literally everything gets checked from the lanyard on the bucket to the battery's in the waterproof torch on a regular basis by maritime, it can be a real pain when they park their boat blocking one side of the boat ramp then check every boat using the other side. I questioned why they check our epirbs at the ramp, we don't need them unless we are 2nm offshore, reply was " Sir you have it on your boat it needs to be indate "  

There's been times when the sumertime daily checks push me to almost giving up boating.http://maritimemanagement.transport.nsw.gov.au/lifejackets/lifejacket-servicing-and-maintenance/index.html

By the way I own a full floatation suit which meets international safety standards for world  yacht racing, according to maritime because it doesn't have an Australian standards mark it's not acceptable to be used in place of a pfd1, even though the floatation and thermal value greatly accedes a self inflating pfd. I went through many calls to maritime and Aus standards trying to rectify this but eventually gave up, try finding what a Aus standard is and who actually tests them.

John, thanks for the info. I don't see in the standards where it states only self servicing for the first year?

it says that you follow manufacturers instructions. Many of these allow self servicing for up to 5 years (or more?)?

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, papafish said:

that red looking fish is a Ling fish im pretty sure i heard of it and brought fillet from the fish market before. they are expensive fish and very nice tasting. correct me if im wrong. but i think thats a "ling fish"

That one I think is called a Pink Ling PF. Gets much bigger.

On 8/14/2018 at 10:25 PM, JonD said:

Hi Jon,

I have Marlin & Stormrider inflatable jackets. On their servicing instructions, Marlin say it is "recommended" that an accredited Service Agent conducts a full inspection every 5 years. On my Stormriders, they advise that every 10th year you should contact a Service Agent to conduct a professional service.

Now I don't know how this lines up with how the Maritime guys or Police see it....maybe completely different. I keep all my self service records and receipts on board with me all the time, but must admit I have never had them checked, so who knows whether I'm doing the right or wrong thing.

Dave

• Like 1