Suggestions for a short trip away

Volitan

I have the time to go away for a few days fishing, and my wife is encouraging me to do so. I’m land-based, and the fishing is very slow here on the Central Coast.  I’d prefer to go north - probably limited to about South West Rocks type distance.

does anyone have any suggestions of where I might go? Where could I go which will provide some better land-based winter fishing -  or will it be pretty much the same all the way north?

My preference is really against rock fishing as I will be on my own.

Freshwater would be fine, cod would be great, but preferably not trout.

I can’t recall ever doing any winter fishing north of the Central Coast, so I really have no idea what is available further north.

cheers

V.

Well Foster is about the right distance. Can you fish those oyster racks without a boat of any kind ?

theres a breakwall of some type there too, isn’t there. How would that fish in Winter?

Thanks

V.

hey Volitan - have a look at the North Haven area - its head up there when I want  a few days away. I take my boat but still fish land-based some of the time. The breakwalls are relatively safe and productive and there are plenty of spots you can flick lures for flatties etc from the shore.

If interested,  drop me a PM or give me a call on 0418214556 and I can point you at a few spots. 

steve

Forster is good around this time, went a couple of weeks ago for a day and got a couple of bream, 2 legal, 6 or 7 tiddlers, couple of flathead, kids loved it.

Are you looking at going away for a weekend trip and staying up that way or just a day trip? the Mrs, kids and myself camped at Korsmans Landing Ground on Myall lakes not that far from Bulahdelah, great spot and even managed to get a couple of tiddlers too off the little jetty next to the boat ramp, very relaxing.

Shot up to Forster for the day and have a flick, it didn't disappoint.

The luderick are still running hot at Nelson Bay breakwall. ? There are safer rock options near Fingal Bay, with the westerlies behind you if the swell’s not pumping in. The beaches are also fishing well, if the swell’s kind. Wherever you choose to go, enjoy!

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:22 PM, mrsswordfisherman said:

Headed for Forster too. We are now at Bonny Hills and yesterday the boys had a nice time catching some flatties for dinner. 

@Mr Dalucius

3C242697-2EB5-4932-8719-D423E25373ED.jpegFA466918-3609-43BA-89CB-E92727AFCE4C.jpeg16A856BB-35B9-49C9-A171-4443CF221414.jpeg40D3E5AF-439E-44F6-AFCB-A9B8DAF8803E.jpegE2D20869-A182-493A-9254-9D8CCA9EBF14.jpeg3E6EE9E7-FE0B-41EE-81F6-7009A06D2B57.jpeg

Now that's what living in Australia is all about, pull up anywhere along the coast & throw in a line!

After you check local exclusion zone maps that is ?

Nice dinner for 3 ☺️

Edited by kingie chaser

On 8/25/2018 at 2:40 PM, Volitan said:

Thanks for all the advice. Very much appreciated. 

I’m thinking Foster, with maybe an overnight around Port Stephens or Fingal Bay.

cheers

V.

Forster is a great place, but you may struggle to access too many oyster leases land based from memory. Breakwater is definitely worth a go as are some of the many little jetties around some of the shorelines, particularly up in the Breckenridge channel. 

Tea Gardens area is also worth a look.

Enjoy and hope you have some success