DEDICATED EMAIL ADDRESS for DPI Submissions re Marine Park proposals

This was posted today by Admin Botany Bay GFC on their Facebook page

So, DPI Fisheries in NSW have apparently accepted the fact that many concerned fishers are struggling with the complicated process of making a formal, on-line submission about the new Hawkesbury Shelf Bioregion Marine Park proposals. As a result, they've now set up a new email address where individuals can lodge an immediate response opposing the submissions. It's submissions@marine.nsw.gov.au 
Whether you've already completed a formal submission or not, and regardless of whether you intend to do so, please, PLEASE take a minute to send an email to this address right NOW. It can be as simple as a one sentence statement expressing your disapproval of the lockouts, or it can be an essay spelling out your stance, with heaps of evidence and arguments. Either way it will count! But I would strongly urge you to keep it rational, to the point and free of abuse or threats, as I have no idea what filters they have in place. But I would even more strongly urge you to do it right NOW! Here's that email address again for you to cut-and-paste: submissions@marine.nsw.gov.au
Get emailing, folks!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Guest Guest123456789

In addition to my submission to state government I recommend posting to, calling and emailing the local federal and state member. Also go to their office. 

Terrigal state liberal Mp Adam crouch publically announced this week his opposition to the lockouts (first politician to do so). Here is what I wrote to my local state member labor liesl tesch 

Dear Ms Tesch,

I am writing to inform you this single issue will determine who my wife and I (residents of Woy Woy) will vote for. We strongly oppose the marine park lock out laws that will remove the best part of Brisbane waters from fishing with my kids in our small aluminium boat.

My son is 4 and my daughter is 2. We practice mostly catch and release, though we sometimes keep 1 or 2 flathead (smaller than 70 cm as they are the big breeders). The ban will apply to lobster beach which is where we mainly fish as the beach is great for our kids.

If this area is removed from us we cant go further east as my boat is not large. We will be forced to fish further upstream (which in summer holidays is not practical as jet skis completely dominate the channel and bay around ettalong and the rip bridge and their noise scares the fish off from a mile away). Lobster beach is a 4 knot zone so we don’t have issues with jet skis and they don’t venture in near box head either as they like hitting the swell further south of box head.

Might I suggest a better approach to creating a more sustainable marine park is to instead curtail the impact commercial fishing is having around the mouth of the Hawkesbury River and Brisbane Water. Since the closure of Sydney Harbour, commercial trawling has decimated fish stocks, particularly the endangered mulloway species. If netting and trapping was banned 2 nautical miles east of a straight line between Gerrin Point (near Maitland Bay) and Barrenjoey Headland the fishery would begin to recover as happened at Jervis bay and SYDNEY harbour when commercial fishing was banned. Moreover, the bycatch would be reduced (eg turtles) and tourism and recreational fishing sector economic improvements would more than compensate for the reduced commercial fishing activity.”

No response from my local member yet to my message on messenger, my email or letter.   When I called I couldn’t get past the guy that answered the phone.  

I insisted I wanted to know her position on the issue he said something to the effect that’s what the consultation period is for. 

• Like 1

Guest Guest123456789

I just received a call from liesl tesch, state labor MP for Gosford.

she has confirmed a public statement will be made by her office and labor leader Luke foley about rec fishing lockouts on the central coast. Liesl stated that both she and a labor state government oppose any rec fishing lockouts on the central coast. Liesl explained she grew up on Lake Macquarie and is an avid kayaker and fisher and wants no part in a ban.

i told her if she commits to a moratorium of one election cycle on any recreational fishing bans on the central coast my wife and I will vote for her.

great news!