A Real DOH moment

jordy

With footy season coaching all over,  finally have some time for fishing.First trip decided to test out new fathers day baitcast combo on some local giant carp.Rigged and baited up, all quiet for the first hour so decided to rig light spinning outfit with a bass lolly to kill time.After 10 minutes casting turned around just in time to see the carp outfit load up.I was about 15 metres away and took off only too watch in horror as the brand new outfit launched like a cruise missile into the drink and torpedo away into the murky depths at a fierce rate of knots.Valuable lesson learned .No sympathy expected.

• Sad 3

So I expect you then had to go out that afternoon & buy the same outfit to take home like nothing had happened ?

Not the same but reminds me of a time when I was about 6 or 7 years old & watching my father beach fishing, saw him cast his rod & put it in the holder & walk down the beach to attend his other rod.

So I wanted to be like dad & cast into the ocean & proceeded to pick up the 1st rod &  throw the whole rig into the surf.

I recall him running down the beach screaming & diving into the breaking waves trying to retrieve the new Alvey reel & hand made rod...……………………………………..gone ?

I was reminded of that story by him many times as I grew up as it was a bit of a sore point for some years but now even thought he has dementia(short term memory loss) he still remembers that day but he can at least have a laugh with me remembering it ?

Not a good thing to happen but shit happens & you learn from your mistakes...………………..usually.

Using the drag as intended usually helps ? 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Too late to offer anything other than "what can I learn from that?" Having had the same experience, this is what I have learned to do. I made some rod rests about a metre long and hammered them into the ground. I put the rod on the rod rest with the large "eye" away from the water. The fish grab the bait and bolt for the snags but the rod won't go past the rod rest, because of the eye. Another time I managed to retrieve the rod after it had taken off into the water because it had a cork handle and the butt end didn't sink. I was able to cast my other rods line across it and get the rod back, complete with a Carp of 90 cms. bn

• Haha 1