Port Stephens- worked hard!!!

Scratchie

G’day raiders,

Its been a long while between  posts due to many reasons but not from a lack of trying! 

Anyway, headed out today with @Woodsy1 and we were both pumped just to get out on the water. Left early and tried for livies but only managed 1 slimie and a few yakkas. Then it was time to head to the sisters for a snapper drift. We worked the area for a while for nothing! I messaged @rickmarlin62 to see how he was going and he said it was tough going! I replied, same here! So I changed locations and met up with him at north rock. Quick chat and he said he’d dropped a good fish at the boat but not much after that. Things were looking bleak. We sent out our livie and continued to drift and cast our sps ahead. Zilch! Reset the drift, sent the livie out and bang, we loaded up! Woodsy has a good fight on his hands and much to our surprise it’s a mako! Quick discussion and this one was coming home with us! Yelled out to rick for a quick check on size limit and we’re good to go! At least something for the table! Rick came over and another quick chat and we both headed for COD rock! 

We worked a different area and after some idiot drive up our drift, then basically circled us, it was time to move! 

Tried multiple drifts for no result. Then we attempted a flatty drift for donuts too! Things were now looking dire! 

I made the call to go back to north rock and as we rounded the bend the wind and swell had kicked in and all the boats had left. 

First drift, bang I came up right and pulled a nice 45cm snaps. Second drift, the wind had increased and I came up tight again but dropped it near the boat. We reset the drift and the wind was now pumping. We were drifting between 2-3 knots and not really conducive to flicking sps but we persisted. I called for one last drift and told Woodsy I’m using my last garlicker gulp as they only catch big fish. Would history repeat itself? And with one big cast, bang zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. This fish absolutely smashed it. It used the max current to give a massive account of itself. But after some great team work, it’s in the net going 71cm!! Happy as and the wind now blowing at 30km plus we headed for Home! 

Really really hard work out there today but we at least managed to hit our target! 

Thanks for reading, 

cheers scratchie!!! 1E832921-D6D5-4629-ADFF-28DCC400DB14.thumb.jpeg.90bf903ea2e91c899504924365c3fd09.jpegC215727A-7601-45ED-ADC5-D8F6B1DB3925.thumb.jpeg.c21c295193498907cf476b830cabc59a.jpeg

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Great effort, Jeff! Persistence pays! I’m hoping to get out on Wednesday but I’m laid up with some virus again, so looks unlikely.

Get well baz! Really tough fishing atm! We worked super hard for all our fish today! Probably a fish of a thousand casts! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

We ended up with ten keeper reds  hard work is an understatement  dropped a red at the boat  that would have nudged 10 kilo  doh  try again soon  nice work jeff  persistance hey

Definitely hard work! When we went back to north rock it was like we were in a different ocean. But we weren’t leaving without 1 good red. 

1 hour ago, Ribs said:

Still some Good fish bro, don't know about holding that mako though?

Whats the water temp, still pretty cold water down here. 

Haha, the mako wasn’t alive at that stage! 

Water temp was between 17.4-18.2. The warmer water is still a while off yet. 

22 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Haha, the mako wasn’t alive at that stage! 

Water temp was between 17.4-18.2. The warmer water is still a while off yet. 

Assumed it was dead but u never know with u ! Good fish 

Reminded me when I was in Fiji on a locals small boat, all of us bare feet pulling in small makos like that ,they would  bang it on the head with a lump of wood , and then leave it with a headache , but not wise when they wake up! I was ready to jump out! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

That's a nice snapper. Never bought a shark home, what are the Mako's like to eat?

It’s was actually a first for me and Woodsy too! I’ve eaten them before but never bought one back. Absolutely beautiful. Made them as fish nuggets for the family. Kids hoed them down! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

Good work there Scratchie. Never eaten a Mako, heard they are fairly good eating.

I have had a couple like that swim around my 14 foot tinnie a few years back, not wise to try and hook one in such a boat.

Cheers yowie! Yeah I was a bit hesitant, so I whacked a tail rope on and trolled it for a bit. Then bleed it and trollled some more. Brought it onboard and the damn thing was still kicking! Lucky the kill tank on Woodsy’s boat is big enough! Really easy to fillet and great eating! It was a good call. 

• Haha 1