REPOWER or New Boat ???

Sea Ranger

1 hour ago, Noo2OzFish said:

I have really thought about it but think I would lose heaps on my current boat when trying to sell

Problem is with used boats its a buyers market and people want to pay peanuts for them especially with a questionable engine.

I'd only fork out to re-power if i was going to get my monies worth out of it and own it for 10+ yrs like Zoran has as those engines or anything boating for that matter aint cheap.

If i had plenty of money and knew i wouldn't struggle with repayments etc it would be a no brainer for me and go brand spanking new as long as i knew id have it again for a few yrs.

Only you really know what the best decision is for your circumstances i guess.

Either way unfortunately the hip pocket is going to cop a beating.

• Thanks 1

I'm working on the money to go repower but till then thought I would list mine on a bunch of FB pages.  I've been overwhelmed by interest and had one guy come out and offer 8k right away.  I think I have 3 coming to look at it later today.   If it sells well that solves what to do,  if my money comes in before then  I'll probably just repower.  My local dealer (5 minutes away)  is a Tohatsu dealer and I'm seriously leaning that way but the next closest is Suzuki but the dealer isn't well liked and then Yamaha being about 45 minutes away.  All 115hp and I would swear they are all in cohoots with quoted prices being all within a $1k 

Bear

• Like 1

Sounds like a plan Bear. If you are happy with the hull and can see it meeting your boating requirements for the next 10yrs then its probably the lowest cost option.  I also chose a known brand where the dealer/workshop was reputable and convenient. It played a big part in my choice of motor.

I'm sure you have it covered but remember to focus on the total changeover cost: motor+all accessories controls gauges + removal of old motor + installation of new motor and accessories.   You may find while the dealers have priced the motors line ball (costs being controlled by the distributors), they may have more flexibility on the services side - as these are costs they control. 

Best of luck.

Cheers

Zoran

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Noo2OzFish said:

I'm working on the money to go repower but till then thought I would list mine on a bunch of FB pages.  I've been overwhelmed by interest and had one guy come out and offer 8k right away.  I think I have 3 coming to look at it later today.   If it sells well that solves what to do,  if my money comes in before then  I'll probably just repower.  My local dealer (5 minutes away)  is a Tohatsu dealer and I'm seriously leaning that way but the next closest is Suzuki but the dealer isn't well liked and then Yamaha being about 45 minutes away.  All 115hp and I would swear they are all in cohoots with quoted prices being all within a $1k 

Bear

Good luck with making a decision ! 

You wont be visiting your dealer all that often unless something has gone wrong  (hopefully not).

If your yammie dealer is 45mins away id go the Yammie for sure above suzuki and tohatsu

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Sounds like a plan Bear. If you are happy with the hull and can see it meeting your boating requirements for the next 10yrs then its probably the lowest cost option.  I also chose a known brand where the dealer/workshop was reputable and convenient. It played a big part in my choice of motor.

I'm sure you have it covered but remember to focus on the total changeover cost: motor+all accessories controls gauges + removal of old motor + installation of new motor and accessories.   You may find while the dealers have priced the motors line ball (costs being controlled by the distributors), they may have more flexibility on the services side - as these are costs they control. 

Best of luck.

Cheers

Zoran

The 17k is a quote with the forward controllers gauges and installation.   I'd want new battery cables and fuel lines as well.

I can't see getting out of it with much chance off 20k

Bear

• 4 months later...
17 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Which way did you end up going?

I have thought about going up to a 130hp after driving the exact same boat as mine with the 130hp Etec, I liked the speed and power increase, since I am always loaded with 5 or 6 adults.

Jeff   I sold the HH and bought new.    I got the green light from the Mrs and was happy with that.  I have a new 499 Sea Ranger from Stacer.  

Bear

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1