Battery Flat Again! Any Ideas?

Berleyguts

Last time I went to go fishing (after a long dry spell of nobtrips), I got to the ramp, only to find the battery flat and the motor wouldn’t start. I fitted a new battery and it kicked over OK. That was a few weeks ago. Now, it finally looks like I’m going to be able to get out tomorrow, so I loaded the gear in the boat and decided to crank it over, to be sure. Nothing! I can’t understand it! It’s alway started first time, even if sitting in the boatport for a few months! The only thing I can think of is that this happened (with the old battery), only after I had an accessories charger and USB port fitted. Could the boat dealer have fitted this to be live all the time, instead of being activated by the accessories switch (at bottom of cluster)? The blue light seems to be on at all positions of the switch. No, I didn’t isolate the starter battery at the back of the boat - I never had to before. Do you think that could be it?

I’ve got the starter battery sitting on the CTek now (I usually leave it on the deep cycle battery for the Minn Kota). I hope I get enough charge to start, or it looks like I’m not going fishing again! ? If I get it started, I’m concerned it won’t hold charge at sea.

When charging it on the CTek, should I isolate the battery or leave it on?

Thoughts?

D30ECC8A-2D66-4390-88AF-3C56ED7E22AF.jpeg

B5F3F7C9-9563-4DD6-ADAF-B3FD5646F91E.jpeg

I’m not an electrician but if that light is constantly on, then there is obviously power to it. I would suggest that the he has wired it direct to the battery. If it doesn’t baz! Give me a call and I’ll tow you back! I’m out there tomorrow! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

I’m not an electrician but if that light is constantly on, then there is obviously power to it. I would suggest that the he has wired it direct to the battery. If it doesn’t baz! Give me a call and I’ll tow you back! I’m out there tomorrow! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Jeff. I don’t know if I’m going to be able to start it to get out, though! ?

30 minutes ago, antonywardle said:

You got a jump starter? I picked up a small one that will startup the diesel that I tow my boat with. I've only used it to start other peoples boats. This one is small enough to fit in your tackle bag. Your boat battery will charge up fine on the CTek

The Ctek manual says it needs at least 10 hours - a bit hard for me to test start it at 4am in the driveway!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

The Ctek manual says it needs at least 10 hours - a bit hard for me to test start it at 4am in the driveway!

Between now and 4am is plenty of time to charge! Oh well, hopefully I can send you some photos! ?

Edited by Scratchie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

P.s. I always take a jump pack with me! 

I will have to buy one... but that’s not going to happen before tomorrow. It’s just frustrating because I usually hook the boat up the day before and leave it in front of the gates so as not to disturb the family and the neighbours. Now I’ll have to leave it in the boat port and muck around with the gates and reversing/hookup etc. early in the morning. Just more time wasted!

How do you think Little Beach ramp will be for launching tomorrow morning? It’s going to be pretty low at 5am. I don’t like launching over the sand - thinking about going to Soldiers.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

I’ll launch at little beach. They cleaned it up a bit the other day. Going out should be ok! Coming back is another thing!

High tide at 10:07.  13:30 should be about half out. I’ll play it by ear in the morning. Right now, looking out my window, I can see there’s only 4 lights on the CTek. Need 7!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Last time I went to go fishing (after a long dry spell of nobtrips), I got to the ramp, only to find the battery flat and the motor wouldn’t start. I fitted a new battery and it kicked over OK. That was a few weeks ago. Now, it finally looks like I’m going to be able to get out tomorrow, so I loaded the gear in the boat and decided to crank it over, to be sure. Nothing! I can’t understand it! It’s alway started first time, even if sitting in the boatport for a few months! The only thing I can think of is that this happened (with the old battery), only after I had an accessories charger and USB port fitted. Could the boat dealer have fitted this to be live all the time, instead of being activated by the accessories switch (at bottom of cluster)? The blue light seems to be on at all positions of the switch. No, I didn’t isolate the starter battery at the back of the boat - I never had to before. Do you think that could be it?

I’ve got the starter battery sitting on the CTek now (I usually leave it on the deep cycle battery for the Minn Kota). I hope I get enough charge to start, or it looks like I’m not going fishing again! ? If I get it started, I’m concerned it won’t hold charge at sea.

When charging it on the CTek, should I isolate the battery or leave it on?

Thoughts?

D30ECC8A-2D66-4390-88AF-3C56ED7E22AF.jpeg

B5F3F7C9-9563-4DD6-ADAF-B3FD5646F91E.jpeg

I think it’s pretty stupid of someone to fit those accessory plugs for you that 1, draw power when not in use. And 2, not tell you it does so. 

Yeah, I just assumed they’d wire it up to the accessories switch, which was spare. It was just the outboard mechanic. Might  have to take it to an auto sparky to get it done right. I’ve had it on the CTek all night and the motor still won’t start, so I don’t know if there’s some other issue! Damn frustrating because this was my only chance to get out after so long and probably for another month!

20 minutes ago, raging said:

Might be new battery time if you’ve drained it flat a few times. Does the model of your ctek have the regeneration mode? If so, give that a go.

Yes, the CTek has a regeneration mode. Tried it in the old battery. This is a brand new battery. Only a few weeks old. Bought it when it wouldn’t start the last attempt to get out. Fitted it where I bought it and test started it but now nothing. Funny thing is, the indicator on the battery is green with red in the middle, which means it’s OK. So maybe it’s something else? I have power to tilt the motor and operate the nav lights, radio and sounder. There’s an inline fuse near the isolation switch - that’s OK. Anything else it might be? Maybe there was nothing wrong with the old battery after all!

Looks like it’s off to the mechanic again!

Edited by Berleyguts

Just dropped the boat at the mechanic. He reckons it’s a faulty starter solenoid and may be able to sort it out this arvo. Maybe I didn’t need a new battery after all! He’ll wire the accessories socket to the accessory switch, too but he said it shouldn’t drain much anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Oh, poor baz! More drama than an episode of Home and Away! Hope you get it fixed champ! It wasn’t that great out there today! We lost one that I don’t even want to talk about! Grrrr 

Yeah, it’s a bit like that, isn’t it?! ?

Anyway, all fixed under warranty with a recommendation to lift the motor cowling after every few trips and spray with Lanox. ? Accessories socket now wired to switch, so all good.

but... here’s where it gets “curiouser and curiouser”... on the way home from the dealer, I noticed that the trailer lights were playing up. Taillights blinking on right indicator and when I got home, the right indicator was on solid when I put the lights on. The same thing happened the last time I picked it up but they had done some work on the trailer light connection. I figured that there tow vehicle might have been wired differently, so I switched the wires around and all was good. I tested them this morning before the trip to the dealer and they all worked fine. I rang the dealer and he said they hadn’t done any work on the trailer lights at all (why would they?). Anyway, I switched the wires again and all is good. But I just can’t figure out how this could have happened without interference! ? I’ve taken a photo of the wiring now, in case they do get switched. Weird, huh?

061EF955-F8C4-48EE-928E-DBD2633D664D.jpeg

1 hour ago, raging said:

Your green and brown are the wrong way around.

Well, that’s the funny thing. They were the other way around but the lights were arse about. So, I switched them (brown to right signal, green to tail light) and all is good. Maybe the socket at the car is wired wrong, too, then? But that doesn’t explain why they’ve worked properly the last few trips and this morning but not after leaving the dealer... ?