Boat ownership experiences -USE TEMPLATE PLEASE

Fab1

Hi guys,i spoke with Zoran in regards to starting a post on peoples experiences with boats they own.We both agree it is a good idea and he left it up to me.We hope it will help someone make a purchase decision in the future on their next rig to go along with Zorans boat engine post.

As with Zorans engine post please keep it real and informative.

I,ll make the first entry on my current boat.

Look forward to reading everyone elses.

Cheers.===

==========================================

Hull-

Make:

Model:

YEAR:

Length:

Configuration:

Max hp rating:

Max outboard weight:

Material:

Use:

Yrs owned:

Pros:

Cons:

Towing weight:

Other comments:

Photo:

==============================

Hull-

Make: Quintrex

Model: Estuary Angler

YEAR: 2011

Length: 4.2m

Configuration: Runabout

Max hp rating: 40

Max outboard weight: 120kg

Material: Bare aluminium

Use: Fishing protected estuaries,rivers,bays.

Yrs owned:7

Pros: will fit into the average garage or carport.

Can be  towed behind the average small 4cyl car.

Doesn't require yearly trailer inspections as Bmt weighs less than 750kg.

Fairly cheap to register,insure,etc.

Easy to handle, launch &retrieve at ramp solo.

Planes easily with less than max hp engine.(Mines running a 30).

Easily maintained.

No need to worry about paint peel,scratches etc due to being bare alloy.

Suited best for trolling,anchoring or drifting while fishing.(We are 100% bait fishers).

Really best fishing 2  up as 3 gets a little crowded but possible.

Handles choppy water really well underway when its blowing due to the millenium hull.

Offers some protection due to the runabout configuration,canopy compared to an open boat,side console,etc.(We,ve never gotten even damp when motoring along).

Cons: Do lose fishing room due to the runabout configuration compared to a side console,open boat etc.

If your fishing style is mainly casting and retrieving using plastics etc,a more open boat with more usable deck space will be a better option.

Can be hotter and produce more glare than a painted boat.

Gets a little crowded fishing with 3 but possible.

Original pedestal seat poles a little low for some.(I fixed mine with higher seat pedestals to solve problem.

Can be a little tippy at rest but no where near enough to coming close to capsizing.

Towing weight: 550kg as per weighbridge certificate fully loaded ready to fish.

Other comments:

So there you have it.I choose to buy this boat brand new in 2011 because i wanted a runabout that fitted in my garage,was un-painted,easily towed, cheap to own,run,look after and stayed within my budget.

Please note that if you want your hull to look as shiny as mine after 7 yrs this is my tip.

You have to leave it in the garage for long periods of time while every now and then climbing in it with beer in hand taking the helm,closing eyes and making boat engine sounds.?

Photo:IMG_20180104_163917.thumb.jpg.fd8c74e068901712e99dc9006a3b2931.jpg

Look forward to reading what others have to say.

Cheers.========================

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Here goes @Fab1.. (btw you have the shiniest toy I have ever seen - congrats buddy)..... here's my baby's details...

Hull-

Make: Haines Hunter

Model: 635L

YEAR: 1990-1992 (could not find an exact build date)

Length: 6.35m hull (+ factory alloy pod pushing 7m)

Configuration: Half Cabin + hard top, plate glass screen modification

Max hp rating: 225hp (compliance plate states 168kw)

Max outboard weight: N/A

Material: Fibreglass+alloy

Use: General boating, fishing  estuary and offshore out to shelf.

Yrs owned: 22yrs (purchased 1996 .... holly sh*t where did the time go! )

Pros: She's heavy and rides well. Punches through chop really well. Fishing mates have always commented on the solid rides. Have been in very nasty weather offshore and has never shown slightest inclination of broaching sliding down 3m waves.  In calm water she will hit 70+km/h with a 200hp pushing her along. 2.35m beam lets 3 fish across the back in comfort but we often fish 4 two port and 2 starboard. Half cabin with 7ft bunks is great for overnighting or for those that feel a tad tired or seasick.  Have spent many a weekend camping on the boat as its fitted out with a loo, water, gas BBQ etc.

Cons: Heavy.  Needs a big motor to push her around... and a big 4wd to pull and comfortably STOP her on the road. Being over 2T, the trailer requires brakes and a breakaway braking system etc etc. Which entails an annual rego HVIS inspection.

Towing weight: Fully laden with 250L fuel, 100L fresh water, 3 batteries, all the boating and fishing gear and supplies - and including trailer - approx 2.6T

Other comments: 

She floats my boat ! hahaha.  Bought the 635L after my wife and I were caught out in a squall in our 16ft Savage Avalon, and on return I asked - do we give this sh*t away - and my dear wife said - Nah! Get a bigger boat! Love that gal.

So after all these years, I'm still very happy with Barrycuda - BTW, I named her after my neighbour and best fishing buddy (BarryC) who passed away shortly after his 60th  - so I now take him fishing everytime I go out.

Photo: heres one on the water (ignore my bro-in-law) ... or check out my youtube channel ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXeUXTClv3z-zEycfWaLIrw/videos ) for other boating shots of the 635L at play.

image.png.bf39813213055179bb25fd5ab8c09e68.png==============================

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 2

Hull-

Make:

Model: Allycraft (Qld) AU -ALY

YEAR: 2009

Length: 3.45m

Configuration: Tiller steering,  2 ppl forward, 2 ppl rear (max 300 kg)  Reality me and another fat person.

Max hp rating: 15HP

Max outboard weight: ?

Material: Aluminium

Use: Fishing

Yrs owned: 6 yrs

Pros: Perfect set up for the river and estuary, Fitted with an electric trolling motor (bow mounted), casting floor and moveable pedestal seat. Goes plenty fast enough and is very manoeuvrable. Very easy to launch/retrieve solo.

Cons: The bimini is very restrictive of available fishing space so seldom gets used.

Towing weight: Unsure, but easily towed with 4 cyl sedan

Other comments: My pride and joy which permits me an untold amount of time doing what I like best.

Photo:IMG_5669resize1.jpg.208fb010005dc67ecd2ebdf86f17b295.jpg

• Like 2

• mrsswordfisherman changed the title to Boat ownership experiences -USE TEMPLATE PLEASE

Hull- ... yes

Make: seafarer

Model: vsea

YEAR: mid-late 80s

Length:4.8

Configuration: cuddy cab. Open in cuddy. Not storage bins

Max hp rating:  im rocking the 90 2 banger

Max outboard weight: heavy... 

Material: glass

Use: what ever i throw at it. Fishing , cruising and watersports

Yrs owned: not long! Stoked we got into another seafarer after owning a viking for years

Pros: bats way above her weight being under 5m . great boat , open deck, really strong motor. Good for the lake days or hitting reefs outside for pelagics and the like. 

New trailer also set up for simpke launch and retrieval.  Tows like a dream

Cons: bit bumpy heading into chop. Could do with more storage i think.

Towing weight: no idea. Np300 doesnt feel it on the back. New trailer so a dream to tow

Other comments: cant rate the old school aussie boats enough!!!

Photo:

IMG_20180630_181400_592.jpg

• Like 2