Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out this morning with a mate in his boat to Bate Bay. Wind was about 15 knots, a bit much for drifting, so we fished closer to shore than normal, around the 50 to 70 foot mark. This meant less line out than drifting the deeper water. My mate wanted to go today as it was the only day he had free time.

The fish were patchy, and quite a few just under sized. The biggest was just under 50cm and the smallest kept was 35cm, all blue spots, with only 3 spikies which were used for bait.

Also caught were 3 gummy sharks, around the 1 to 1.2 metre mark. I have fished Bate Bay for many years, and this was the first time I have caught any gummies out there. We thought about keeping 1 for the table, but as we had some flatties, decided to release them. I have heard they make good eating, but never tried one.fish.jpeg_165.thumb.png.ee4c26d2fca3ec5dd1eb9e76642a621b.png

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 1

Thank you all. Maybe try a gummy shark another time.

As we headed to home base, spotted a few fish splashes up the western end of the broadwater near Gymea Bay. Tailor in one school, which were moving around rather quickly, and salmon in another school which were just cruising along, No takes on a small metal lure.

Very well done, that's a great haul of fish, Personally I would have kept the gummy and thrown back some Flathead. In my opinion Gummy is right up there with the best of tasty fish, Dory, Blue Grenadier, longfin Perch, Tassie trumpeter , Whiting, and Flathead.

Frank

• Like 1