Calling out to all the Illawarra Fisho's!

Oz98

Hello everyone, new to the forum, would just like to ask a few of the locals where to fish... 

Been a while since I've gotten back into fishing since I was a young lad.

looking to wet a line over the summer, so would appreciate those in the Illawarra to suggest some spots.  

Cheers all, have a good one 

16 hours ago, Oz98 said:

Hello everyone, new to the forum, would just like to ask a few of the locals where to fish... 

looking to wet a line over the summer, so would appreciate those in the Illawarra to suggest some spots.  

Hi Oz welcome to fishraider.

It is a good idea to start searching around the forum a bit until members respond. 

Use our search engine for the dozens of  Illawarra fishing related posts - here is a link to some 

https://www.fishraider.com.au/search/?q=illawarra 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Hi Oz welcome to fishraider.

It is a good idea to start searching around the forum a bit until members respond. 

Use our search engine for the dozens of  Illawarra fishing related posts - here is a link to some 

https://www.fishraider.com.au/search/?q=illawarra 

Ah fantastic I shall have a geez at them, thank you! 

55 minutes ago, SWAGB said:

Any preferred methods or species?

Land based or boat? bait or lures?

I got some squidgies bio tough plastic and slick rigs pro range with Sfactor, so giving them a crack atm. (Soft plastics)

really don't mind the species I love all fish! 

Land based fishing ? 

Cheers mate appreciate it! 

22 hours ago, Oz98 said:

Can't help with info on Illawarra fishing, but a very warm welcome to the forum mate. Lots of good anglers on here and I hope you enjoy your time on it. Cheers, bn

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Can't help with info on Illawarra fishing, but a very warm welcome to the forum mate. Lots of good anglers on here and I hope you enjoy your time on it. Cheers, bn

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

No worries mate that's fine, feeling the love already! ??

On 11/1/2018 at 7:32 PM, Oz98 said:

Im no expert fisherman or anything mate,but i use to fish lake illawarra from the shore just east of the bridge on the northern shore and up towards the mouth for flathead,bream,whiting and tailor at one time or another.

Minnamurra river produced the same results or the shoalhaven river if your keen opposite the golfcourse and all around greenwell point.

Like i said we've managed a feed as very average fisherman at one time or another from these areas.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

Im no expert fisherman or anything mate,but i use to fish lake illawarra from the shore just east of the bridge on the northern shore and up towards the mouth for flathead,bream,whiting and tailor at one time or another.

Minnamurra river produced the same results or the shoalhaven river if your keen opposite the golfcourse and all around greenwell point.

Like i said we've managed a feed as very average fisherman at one time or another from these areas.

Cheers.

Ah mate that's fantastic, you've mentioned exact locations and spots which is what im after, thank you! 

Had had no idea there was freshwater lakes in the shoalhaven or minamurra despite going to both suburbs... champion!

love it mate, no need for pros you lot are great ? 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 1:52 PM, Oz98 said:

I got some squidgies bio tough plastic and slick rigs pro range with Sfactor, so giving them a crack atm. (Soft plastics)

really don't mind the species I love all fish! 

Land based fishing ? 

Cheers mate appreciate it! 

The fishing has improved quite a bit in the Illawarra since the water has started to warm up over the past couple of weeks.

I fish mostly fish the beaches between Wollongong City Beach and Thirroul Beach. Any beach that has a decent gutter within casting distance is worth a shot. I also fish soft plastics/lures and have managed to get a few decent flathead  over the past week or so.  I have found that it is best to keep mobile rather than park up in one spot. I often check out a couple beaches to find the most promising looking gutter, throw on a backpack with a few spare SPs, jigheads, Vibes/Blades, and metal lures, and walk along the gutter (casting a half-a-dozen or so times then moving 5-10m) until the gutter tapers out or moves out of casting distance from the beach. If I don't have any luck on one SP I will change to a different colour or style and move back along the gutter. Beside the rocks at each end of a beach is also worth a shot, there is usually a rip/gutter running beside the rocks where the water will be deeper.  You will lose more lures to snags, but can be quite productive areas.

I can vouch for the Slick Rigs with Sfactor,  landed me this flathead (see photo) 2nd cast a couple of days ago. ?

Cheers

20181104_083905.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome Oz,

I live in the illawarra and never manage to get any. I usually head down to the shoalhaven. there must be fish in the lake somewhere though ?. Jump on google maps and find some spots that you can access and walk along to cast.  The power station near dapto usually has people fishing there so might be a go, but have never caught anything there. Was getting good sized bream in mullet creek about 8 years ago but no go recently.  i know people that often have success at Kanahooka point.

There are also a few jetties along berkley that would be worth chucking some SP's off.

Cheers

Rah

Edited by Rah
Typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SWAGB said:

The fishing has improved quite a bit in the Illawarra since the water has started to warm up over the past couple of weeks.

I fish mostly fish the beaches between Wollongong City Beach and Thirroul Beach. Any beach that has a decent gutter within casting distance is worth a shot. I also fish soft plastics/lures and have managed to get a few decent flathead  over the past week or so.  I have found that it is best to keep mobile rather than park up in one spot. I often check out a couple beaches to find the most promising looking gutter, throw on a backpack with a few spare SPs, jigheads, Vibes/Blades, and metal lures, and walk along the gutter (casting a half-a-dozen or so times then moving 5-10m) until the gutter tapers out or moves out of casting distance from the beach. If I don't have any luck on one SP I will change to a different colour or style and move back along the gutter. Beside the rocks at each end of a beach is also worth a shot, there is usually a rip/gutter running beside the rocks where the water will be deeper.  You will lose more lures to snags, but can be quite productive areas.

I can vouch for the Slick Rigs with Sfactor,  landed me this flathead (see photo) 2nd cast a couple of days ago. ?

Cheers

20181104_083905.jpg

Mate thank you so much I will definitely have a go at what you said, awesome ?

Thats is a beautiful flathead!! Tiger?

i love the slick rigs, so easy to just tie them up without tying a hook, jig, sinker etc...

I've got the pro range, pilly, with S factor as well

how should I work the lure? Just drop it in and hope or move it up everyone now and then?

Cheers man,

Oz. 

5 hours ago, Rah said:

Welcome Oz,

I live in the illawarra and never manage to get any. I usually head down to the shoalhaven. there must be fish in the lake somewhere though ?. Jump on google maps and find some spots that you can access and walk along to cast.  The power station near dapto usually has people fishing there so might be a go, but have never caught anything there. Was getting good sized bream in mullet creek about 8 years ago but no go recently.  i know people that often have success at Kanahooka point.

There are also a few jetties along berkley that would be worth chucking some SP's off.

Cheers

Rah

Brilliant thank you very much, I shall list those places you mentioned and add them to my list ?