Easy make sauce for your flathead fillets

seasponge

For a quick, easy sauce to accompany your beer battered or crumbed flathead fillets (or any fried fish), just mix;

• 2T mayonnaise (real egg mayonnaise, not the dodgy stuff we grew up on in the 70s)
  • 1T sriracha chili sauce (rooster sauce)
  • 1T white vinegar

Quantities are a guide, play around with the proportions to suit. The mayonnaise gives a creamy base texture, the sriracha chili sauce adds a nice flavor without being too hot, and the white vinegar give the acidity to cut through the fish batter. So quick and easy, knock it up in 1 min while your fish is frying.

mayo.png.3f340f9cf907367d712bd5e92098abce.png      +    chili.png.2d781364cd82820a15c220c8d22bb4a1.png      +    vinegar.png.b3c45d44ef59e0db6bd83be96a9c728a.png

• Like 4

Nice suggestions SS, if I can add a bit of input?

Buy the best quality store bought mayonnaise possible, I can suggest Birch & Waite as I have been using it for years in catering situations & it is now available in supermarkets but its not cheap but it is quality.

Secondly fresh lemon juice & zest will bring a better 'acid' to the sauce that white vinegar imo.

If you do have to use vinegar then a quality white wine vinegar would be a better option.

Some fresh parsley or would also be a good addition ?

Just my 2 cents as a professional chef!

Still if those are whats available in the pantry at the time then that's all that counts :biggrinthumb:

35 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Secondly fresh lemon juice & zest will bring a better 'acid' to the sauce that white vinegar imo.

Always happy to hear suggestions.

If I'm not adding the chili, I'll use mayo and lemon juice and pepper for a nice flavour. But i find if I'm going for the chili version, i prefer white vinegar over lemon juice for that acidic zing without altering the flavour of the chili too much (which the lemon can do).