Solo session Narooma

JonD

With my daughter away fishing and spearing a few hundred km south I took the opportunity to head offshore in hope of a tuna for dinner. I love being out wide solo occasionally, no one I have to please but myself.

The albacore and yellowfin tuna have been hanging around the seamounts just 47km offshore (still a reasonable hike in the little rib). On the way out I came across several species of dolphins and a fair few sun fish I kept mistaking as sharks. Pulled a mix of divers and skirted lures but became bored of standing behind the console, also a bulged disk in my back was giving me a tough time. 

Decided to head back to where I'd seen the dolphins in the hope of a small albacore rather than punish myself on the big barrel tuna. Came across some high speed souries ( a type of extremely fast garfish simular to flying fish). Had three lines out all on light spin outfits, wasn't long before the same little skirted lure that seems to attract 90% of my hookups was hooked up solid.

Keeping the boat in gear so that pressure on the fish allowed me time to get the other lines out of the way, once back on the rod I instantly realised this wasn't a little albacore or skipjack. Didn't take to long to get it within sight, yellowfin and even though it wasn't a trophy fish it was still tough going with a bad back and a 7ft rod. Managed a perfect head shot with the small 4in gaff before dropping it on the deck. Icky spiked through the brain and instantly bled before packing it down with ice.

Didn't bother putting a line out after this one, not sure of the weight as I tend to go off length more, this little one was 1.10m and will make a few tasty meals.

Sorry about the pics, just got a quick snap on the phone before icing down the fish.

IMG_1262.JPG

IMG_2070.JPG

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Cracking fish there Jon and even more impressive when caught solo.

Glad to see you break your drought.

Went out last weekend from Bermagui, with simular poor results and dozens of traps over the inner reefs. Locals were complaining how bad the inner reefs have gotten and how one of the comercial guys has just got a permit for another 50 traps. Offshore we only managed undersized perch and more lost gear to jackets at the 12 mile reef. 

This last trip looked to be heading downhill too after dropping jigs on a patch of fish in 120m of water only to met by the dreaded jackets on my way out. Catching the tuna was a real bonus and felt so rare it was a little hard to believe. Like the reef fishing after over 20 trips without a fish you start thinking about the damage done out there. Wasn't too far back we used to head out inside the shelf to store up on striped tuna for snapper bait, haven't caught a stripey in years now.