Tight-lines Tuesday - Barrenjoey

zmk1962

G'day Raiders,

With the weather and conditions promising to break for a few hours this morning, I contacted a recently retired mate (Wayno) and we made a plan to hit the flathead grounds off Barrenjoey to hopefully restock the freezers.

Left my place at 5am and were on the water out of Parsley Bay at 6am. Dead low tide and glassy conditions (2-3kts wind barely noticeable). 

Sped off to my favourite offshore locations it was a bit bumpy with the 1.1m seas but no real issue - the first location at 50m was barren, so moved to 60m and we were on.  The action was not as fast as a few weeks back, but by 11am the conditions were glassy and we had bagged out on bluespot with half the fish in the 55-60cm range and the rest 40-55cm. There was a big tiger in the pack as well as a bonus of 5 red spot whiting.   My mate also decided to keep a huge sergeant baker - he is determined to try the two meaty fillets that came off it.

We were fishing my usual two hook paternoster rig, with an SP on the top hook and salted pilchard halves below.  We also used some of the frozen slimy mackerels that @antonywardle and I caught a few weeks back and I kept for bait.  The whole mackerel heads with an inch of the spine left on accounted for some of the biggest flatties, but overall it was 50:50 between the SPs and the bait.

At about 11am the bite just went dead. So we started to clean up, de-rig and get ready for the trip back. The last rod in the water had and SP and a mackerel head as bait. As I went to pick it up, the rod loaded up - it was heavy!  I thought it was snagged but then felt the  thump, thump - a few hard pumps and it started to lift off the bottom and was kicking - so my first thoughts  ray?, banjo?, shovelnose? .... but then it started to run and headshake - the Penn 950s reel screaming. What followed next was 25min of pure fun as we strapped on rod buckets and passed the rod between us fighting the beast of the deep !

We brought it to the boat 5 times,  the 10 ft mono leader just broke the surface before it would dive down again. Eventually we got it close enough to assess it looked like a grey nurse about 5ft long .... before the paternoster double gave way..... and we lost the only hook of the day - infact the only gear lost the whole day!!!!

What a great way to top of our Tight-lines Tuesday! 

Cheers  Zoran 

947370419_Photo27-11-1891852am.thumb.jpg.bde4ea276099033c2cd29af9cc1c1d91.jpg

image.png.2f729ff70f1e3eab26c3e40a4f5828e5.png

PS - I have some videos of the day and will try to find time to upload at some stage, but thought I'd get the report out ASAP.

Edited by zmk1962
content
  • Like 3

Awesome !!!!!! A great bag of fish there Zoran.  That shark would have been great fun. 

I cant wait to get out again ive had 5 birthdays in the last ten days.....all non negotiables. (Sister, bro in law, father in law, wifes best friend and my wifes uncle). There was also a few friends and relatives.

I couldnt figure out why on earth so many birthdays clustered together until a friend pointed out.....approx 9 months ago is valentines day... 😏😏😏

Edited by GoingFishing

12 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Glad you got your bag before the conditions changed. You’ve definitely restocked the freezer! 

Thanks Scratchie. The Seabreeze forecast was spot on ... we were out of the water on the ramp just before 1pm and starting to clean the fish when the 20kts winds gusts hit ... so instead of smashing us on the way back in it was like a cooling fan at the cleaning table -- it's great when things go to plan.

12 hours ago, antonywardle said:

No pelicans at the fillet table today 😉

Oh rest assured they were there - it took a while to get a photo without a pelican photobomb !!   Never ceases to amaze me how a pelican can swallow a 60cm flathead frame whole (spikes and all) .and come back for more. We also had a group of Korean lady tourists offering to buy some of our fresh catch... its wasn't just the pelicans we had to worry about.

8 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

Nothing beats a good feed of fresh Flathead and what you don't eat that day freezes well. Looks like you had a good morning out there. 🙂

Hey Gordon - flatties are certainly up there as one of my favourite fish. It was a top morning indeed. We'll have to hook up for a fish out of Brokenbay one day mate ... or you'll have to show me some of your spots - from memory you tend to fish south more. Cheers mate.

8 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Awesome !!!!!! A great bag of fish there Zoran.  That shark would have been great fun. 

I cant wait to get out again ive had 5 birthdays in the last ten days.....all non negotiables. (Sister, bro in law, father in law, wifes best friend and my wifes uncle). There was also a few friends and relatives.

I couldnt figure out why on earth so many birthdays clustered together until a friend pointed out.....approx 9 months ago is valentines day... 😏😏😏

Hey Sam... I'll post a video of the shark fight - it was a top way to end the day. We hooked the bugger bottom bashing 60m down - I guess that explained why the fish went off the bite with this thing lurking around.  

Mate, you are blessed you have a large family - I recall many a post where you were able to fill a crew from family members.  I've missed many a good fishing day because I could NOT raise a crew!

Hmmmm the Valentines day syndrome - sounds like you could educate your relos that they are allowed to be romantic on days other than Valentines day ... it will open up at least 364 days of additional opportunity 😉  Bahaha !

Cheers Z

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Hey Gordon - flatties are certainly up there as one of my favourite fish. It was a top morning indeed. We'll have to hook up for a fish out of Brokenbay one day mate ... or you'll have to show me some of your spots - from memory you tend to fish south more. Cheers mate.

Love to head out and wet a line one day, maybe we can line something up when I get back from my next Jindabyne trip, heading down again mid next week.
I do tend to fish out of Sydney harbor, as I have the Roseville boat ramp around 1k from the house it mainly convenience, saves me driving up to Pitwater. Having said that I think that the fishing up there tends to be better overall. 🙂

13 minutes ago, GordoRetired said:

I do tend to fish out of Sydney harbor, as I have the Roseville boat ramp around 1k from the house it mainly convenience, saves me driving up to Pitwater. Having said that I think that the fishing up there tends to be better overall. 🙂

Good stuff mate. I launch from Roseville if I'm heading to Longy, 12mile or wider - its a great ramp. Not sure if the fishing "up there is better", unless you are referring to our Port Stephens Raiders locations.... I see Sam ( @GoingFishing ) often does well out of Sydney harbour.  Maybe we'll just have to work it out together.  Let's catch up when you're back. Best of luck for your Jindy trip mate.

Cheers Z

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Good stuff mate. I launch from Roseville if I'm heading to Longy, 12mile or wider - its a great ramp. Not sure if the fishing "up there is better", unless you are referring to our Port Stephens Raiders locations.... I see Sam ( @GoingFishing ) often does well out of Sydney harbour.  Maybe we'll just have to work it out together.  Let's catch up when you're back. Best of luck for your Jindy trip mate.

Cheers Z

Sounds good. I'll message you my mobile.

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Cheers Z

Hi Gordo

I drop the boat in sydney but id say 75% of my fishing is between manly and long reef.

I am happy to share some gps marks if you pm me.

• Thanks 1

Hey Raiders .... had some time today to whack together a video .. You can see how it started bumpy and became glassy throughout the day.   

Fast-forward all the boring bits, the shark fight is around 9:10 .  Of course the GoPro battery was dead by then and we were fumbling on the iPhone.

Cheers Z 

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 8:27 AM, zmk1962 said:

Hey Sam... I'll post a video of the shark fight - it was a top way to end the day. We hooked the bugger bottom bashing 60m down - I guess that explained why the fish went off the bite with this thing lurking around.  

Mate, you are blessed you have a large family - I recall many a post where you were able to fill a crew from family members.  I've missed many a good fishing day because I could NOT raise a crew!

Hmmmm the Valentines day syndrome - sounds like you could educate your relos that they are allowed to be romantic on days other than Valentines day ... it will open up at least 364 days of additional opportunity 😉  Bahaha !

Cheers Z

Large families are a blessing for sure. When theres no immediate family wanting to fish theres the line of friends more than willing to go !

That sucks to hear u cant get a crew together sometimes. By all means give me a bell if your struggling. If im heading out which is more than likely on a weekend im happy for you to hop on or i will be part of the crew on yours...whatever works !

Message RE romance has been passed on haha...though.... my dad has 4 bros and 3 sisters....my mum has 6 sisters and 3 brothers...and theres probably a solid 100 neices and nephews.. not sure if they need any further encouragement 

Thankfully all dispersed throughout the globe 😨😨😨😨😅

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

By all means give me a bell if your struggling. If im heading out which is more than likely on a weekend im happy for you to hop on or i will be part of the crew on yours...whatever works !

Thanks for the offer mate... I'll certainly reach out from now on - and reciprocate !! 

15 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

my dad has 4 bros and 3 sisters....my mum has 6 sisters and 3 brothers...and theres probably a solid 100 neices and nephews.. not sure if they need any further encouragement 

Wow .... that is a lot of  "Valentining" for sure !  I agree with you - please invert my recommendation - Romance on Valentines day ONLY for your mob !  

Cheers Z

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Yowie said:

A very nice feed there. The flatties may be moving out a bit deeper now that summer is on the way.

Yes ... very tasty indeed - couple of meals already served and more planned - my wife mentioned she's pretty sure the relos are dropping in on the w/e.  We ended up with 6.2kg of flathead fillets between us, can't complain from 20 fish. 

Cheers Z