Inkers in the mist

jenno64

I was eyeing off yesterday arvo with calm conditions for a bit of squidding in Botany Bay. Launched the yak in misty rain and a light southerly and prospected for an hour before I found some. Got 7 nice inkers over the next two hours and conditions were perfect. Had a 60+ flatty follow up a jig that was being retrieved to remove weed😨 A couple of double hookups in the mix too! Salt'n'pepper time!

Squid Jan 7 2019.jpg

7 inkers Jan 7 2019.jpg

double hook up Jan 7 2019.jpg

• Like 7

Nice feed there Jenno.

I once hooked a flattie, looked like it was near the 60cm mark, on a squid jig. Played it up to near the boat and the jig came free from it's mouth.

On a few occasions, I have had a tap on the jig, not squid, so fish will have a nibble at it. One of those was a small bream that followed the jig to the boat.

5 hours ago, Yowie said:

Nice feed there Jenno.

I once hooked a flattie, looked like it was near the 60cm mark, on a squid jig. Played it up to near the boat and the jig came free from it's mouth.

On a few occasions, I have had a tap on the jig, not squid, so fish will have a nibble at it. One of those was a small bream that followed the jig to the boat.

6 hours ago, corro said:

Nice feed there, tough to be squid!

If you don't mind sharing, any particular size/colour jigs you found worked best?

Hey Corro and Yowie

Yesterday I cuaght the squid on 5 different sized and coloured jigs....when they are on they are on! Normally I stick to pinks and orange in the 3-3.5 sizes.

I landed a 70cm+ flattie on a squid jig a couple of years ago and as I netted it it opened its mouth and out popped the jig.....made for a nice mixed bag:)