Lilli Pilli Fishing Hole

ds2228

G’day fellow avid fisherman,

New to this group and a relatively amatuer fisherman so please forgive my ignorance. I was wondering if anyone had GPS coordinates or could tell me exactly where the hole is in Lilli Pilli that I hear so much about?

I’ve lived in the shire my whole life, pretty regularly put my boat in the port hacking for a run to the fads (which I am doing this coming weekend) but I’d love to give this legendary hole a hit on my run out.

I can’t count the amount of stories I’ve heard of people pulling monsters out of this hole or beast Jew fish but I’ve just never been able to find it (admittedly I haven’t looked that hard but whenever I have, it’s evaded me). I’d love to see what all the rage is regarding the so called Lilli Pilli hole. 

Any other tips, techniques or fishing spots regarding the port hacking would also be greatly appreciated as I never seem to have much luck. See a lot of photos of people getting decent kings in the hacking but I’ve never had luck. Not sure what I’m doing wrong but the best I can muster is a Trevally here and there in South West Arm and that’s about it!

Occasionally it’s nice to escape the rough waters that greet you past the heads and have a chill flick in the bay itself but I find the fishing to be lean at best. Squidding spots would also be appreciated as I’d like to give that a crack before I head to the fads so that hopefully I have some fresh squid to hook up.

Cheers fellas!

Edited by ds2228
Spelling errors

The deepest place in Port Hacking is out from Lilli Pilli. I fished it once and caught nothing, so never been back.

Cannot give you any co-ordinates or depth, as I line up trees and houses on the shoreline to find my spots ( and I won't be telling anyone these marks)

Squid have been a bit barren lately, but I don't target them too often.

Just a matter of trial and error to find the fish. Kingies and tailor are moving about now, splashing about on the surface in various areas.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Ok, seeing as your a 'newbie' give the search bar a go, just type in 'Lilli pilli'

You will get some interesting reading/threads.

Yowie is the man here on Lilli pilli but as you know nothing if for free 😂 

@kingie Hahaha I will keep that it mind, thanks mate! 

Edited by ds2228

47 minutes ago, Yowie said:

The deepest place in Port Hacking is out from Lilli Pilli. I fished it once and caught nothing, so never been back.

Cannot give you any co-ordinates or depth, as I line up trees and houses on the shoreline to find my spots ( and I won't be telling anyone these marks)

Squid have been a bit barren lately, but I don't target them too often.

Just a matter of trial and error to find the fish. Kingies and tailor are moving about now, splashing about on the surface in various areas.

@Yowie Ahhh I see, so is there a hole that you’re aware of or is it more just a drop off that people are referring to?

Edited by ds2228

1 hour ago, ds2228 said:

@Yowie Ahhh I see, so is there a hole that you’re aware of or is it more just a drop off that people are referring to?

It is a deep hole. There are other deep holes about - Yowie Bay, Gymea Bay, South West Arm.

I have sounded & fished deep spots youve mentioned yowie & never caught anything.

Im no guru on the hacking but to me kings dont hang around in one spot or in the deep very long, they are roamers & are more interested in chasing bait schools, find the bait & you may find a king.

Jew, well thats another story.

Not that I have caught any there but Kings have seen & caught all over the place, greys point, gymea baths, yowie bay entry.

Right place right time right bait!

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

Tailor, kings, jewies, salmon are on the move all the time looking for food and do not sit in the one little hole waiting for food to come to them. Have caught jewies at night at the surface of deep water.

Other fish such as bream, whiting will remain in a general area not having to move around too much.

As K.C. stated, find the bait schools and you will find the fish.

• Like 1

When I lived in the Shire we always referred to the "Lily Pilli Hole" as the deep hole on the edge of the baths. I fished the hacking for 20 years and I have to say that it is a very different proposition today.

In those times Kingfish and Jewfish would be regular catches at the hole and many a good fish was lost by inexperienced fishermen unprepared for the size of the fish that would frequent this spot... but even then it was a hit and miss kind of place.

There is also a significant drop off ( as mentioned in this thread) just upriver of the baths but this is across the whole of the estuary so it's not what I would call a hole.

The Hacking is a great system.  But it can be a difficult system to fish I think because it is so clean and visibility is so good that fish are easily spooked. It seems to be very much a dawn and sunset proposition.

It also changes all the time particularly around the Deban Spit area where a spectacular flathead spot can change to a very average one in just a single season I think due to the shifting sands.

Local knowledge is really important to consistent results and undoubtedly the most consistent fisho would be Yowie.

I think what Yowie is saying that the hole is not the only spot in the Hacking and what I would add to that is its a good land-based option but if you have a boat there are many other options and it's a good idea to keep on the move.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, fragmeister said:

When I lived in the Shire we always referred to the "Lily Pilli Hole" as the deep hole on the edge of the baths. I fished the hacking for 20 years and I have to say that it is a very different proposition today.

In those times Kingfish and Jewfish would be regular catches at the hole and many a good fish was lost by inexperienced fishermen unprepared for the size of the fish that would frequent this spot... but even then it was a hit and miss kind of place.

There is also a significant drop off ( as mentioned in this thread) just upriver of the baths but this is across the whole of the estuary so it's not what I would call a hole.

The Hacking is a great system.  But it can be a difficult system to fish I think because it is so clean and visibility is so good that fish are easily spooked. It seems to be very much a dawn and sunset proposition.

It also changes all the time particularly around the Deban Spit area where a spectacular flathead spot can change to a very average one in just a single season I think due to the shifting sands.

Local knowledge is really important to consistent results and undoubtedly the most consistent fisho would be Yowie.

I think what Yowie is saying that the hole is not the only spot in the Hacking and what I would add to that is its a good land-based option but if you have a boat there are many other options and it's a good idea to keep on the move.

Cheers

Jim

Cheers Jim, very insightful! I’ll take this all on board. Will give around the baths a go and if no good, I’ll move on to greener pastures hopefully!

I think the hole is right of. Lilli pilli bath, right next to where all thr boat are. It's a drop off. Not a hole. If that's what your referring too. There is not such thing as a hot spot. It's just a matter of being there at the right time.  Might happen once a month or once a quarter but it has happen before. Good luck