Fadtabulous Port Stephens

Berleyguts

16 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

While underway your pump will be out of the water so u need a pipe pikup to force feed water while on the move 

BTW, Rick. I just realised my pump is always out if the water, as it’s mounted inside the hull! My inlet is mounted fairly low. Would it really be out of the water when underway?

17335C73-73E3-4031-BC3A-6BE5BA339D45.jpeg

10 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Good effort getting your bag limit, Peter!

I’d be interested in seeing a photo of your intake setup because I just can’t get my head around how to do it! Like, where do you put the inline tap, for a start? At this stage, I can’t seem to remove that mesh covered intake anyway! Maybe I have to disconnect it from the inside?

My one was very similar  to Ricks.

I put an elbow on for a trial as my one wouldn't pick up water while driving, when I'm driving to my spot I don't need to run the pump, the flow of the water was quiet surprising and probably better then just when the pump is running.

I think I'll put a tap in to slow the flow down a bit or for when I don't won't to use the tank I'll shut the water off completely. Hopefully how I'm doing it doesn't kill my pump.

I'll try to get a photo this afternoon

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

I know I’m getting off topic here but wouldn’t I just be able to fit a pickup somehow on the existing intake and run it through the pump, which sits inside the boat?

D4187CBF-982E-4DEB-871D-E8DF95CAB489.jpeg

Hi Baz,

I have used an irrigation fitting on mine.  Initially I put a small filter neatly cut inside the fitting before screwing it on. Trouble was when it picked up rubbish I had no way if cleaning it. I now have a piece of mesh glued  on to the fitting it’s not very tidy but works.

It is just another of the things on my boat that didn’t have much thought put into by the manufacturer. 

I also changed the hose from the tank to pressure hose with stainless clamps, I’m aware that if the hose was to split I have no way of stopping the water flowing into the boat whilst underway.  I haven’t installed a shut off fitting low because it is pretty inaccessible going under the floor.  I can control the flow rate at the tank though, without it it fills faster then it can drain it away whilst underway.  I carry 2 irrigation stopper fittings but a swim may be necessary to change it on the water.   My elbow fitting is only hand tight so if I had any problems I would turn it up the other way as a first option.

My thoughts on your other question about water at the back of the boat.  At slow to moderate speed the fitting is probably probably underwater but the water at the back of the boat would be disturbed and churned up.   The forward motion of the boat would act like a Venturi sucking the water out of the pump inlet pipe.

Another thing whilst stationary occasionally the pump gets an airlock or something and the pump is going but not moving water.  If I notice that I just turn it off and on again. 

90D87632-0992-4FA4-8A5B-A07DF06CCC21.jpeg.650f9957230f8ff54e5918d9bd310d90.jpeg

Great report and nice feed btw.   I was hoping to get out today but it was t to be.

Edited by Welster
More content added
  • Like 2

OK. So the tap controls the flow or shuts it off if needed. I can control the flow at the outlet into the tank (bottom left, first pic). If needed, I suppose I can put a tap in the line under the hatch. I’m just trying to figure out how to fit the elbow fitting. I can’t get the inlet off from the outside. Maybe I’ve got to remove the pump from the inside first? Edit: Got it off! Once I had some mahi-mahi for breakfast I had enough oomph to loosen the screen! 😂 It needs a 3/4in female to male elbow. I just so happened to have something at home that I removed from a water feature. I can get the screen on to the elbow but not the elbow onto the inlet. Maybe the thread is stripped or it’s the wrong thread, e.g. 20mm instead if imperial. Off to work at Bunnings early today to shop!

99A6DD2D-278A-4943-99E8-9CEBE2D5F591.jpeg

45BA782F-7889-447A-BF28-EB1F96DF5BD8.jpeg

F3641122-A1BC-452A-BAF4-5638356110A0.jpeg

1A7D9E3E-4317-4663-B489-7575000A51BE.jpeg

AEC3D0A2-8126-4517-AF42-116A2F191CA9.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts

44 minutes ago, blairy69 said:

Hi mate nice catch suspect though that's not a Bonito but a striped tuna 

Thanks. Funny thing... I called it for a stripy when I caught it! I haven’t caught one for years! Back at the ramp cleaning tables I was talking to other guys who’d been at the FAD and said I’d caught a stripy and they seemed surprised. When I showed them, they said “bonito”. The markings are different to the bonito I normally catch. When I filleted it, the flesh was a lot darker too... red right through. I’m going back to calling it a stripy, then! 😎

Edited by Berleyguts

1 hour ago, Mmg said:

Make sure you have a good auto bilge pump incase any below waterline plumbing failures.

ive never been a fan of through the transom below waterline ones. 

Ive seen those black fittings split in half if tightened too much.

my plumbing is all on the back. 

But ive still got 2 brand new automatic rule 1100 gph bilge pumps in the 5.2 trail craft sealed hull just in case

image.jpg

Yeah, thanks. I have a 1250gph bilge pump but I do need to fit a float switch to it.

1 hour ago, Mmg said:

Make sure you have a good auto bilge pump incase any below waterline plumbing failures.

ive never been a fan of through the transom below waterline ones. 

Ive seen those black fittings split in half if tightened too much.

my plumbing is all on the back. 

But ive still got 2 brand new automatic rule 1100 gph bilge pumps in the 5.2 trail craft sealed hull just in case

image.jpg

I agree 100 percent with Mmg.    I have the through hull set up like you Baz but like I said in my earlier appointment post if that crappy hose bursts after you put the pickup on, if you start driving it’s pumping water into your boat even with the pump off.

My first Johnston pimp died very early and was replaced under warranty.  The second was faulty and pumped water under the hill straight through the pump housing, the third one died within a year.  The new Rule one has worked fine.

Those spray fitting at the top of the tank really restrict the water flow a lot as well.  The hole size inside is very small from memory I’d guess not much more than 5mm when fully opened up.   So I changed that as well.

Those kits really aren’t that great without plenty of mods imho. 

I think you need 19mm bsp fittings.   Mine came from Masters as I preferred their fitting to the brand Bunnings stocked.  I’m sure eBay would have what you want. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Welster said:

I agree 100 percent with Mmg.    I have the through hull set up like you Baz but like I said in my earlier appointment post if that crappy hose bursts after you put the pickup on, if you start driving it’s pumping water into your boat even with the pump off.

My first Johnston pimp died very early and was replaced under warranty.  The second was faulty and pumped water under the hill straight through the pump housing, the third one died within a year.  The new Rule one has worked fine.

Those spray fitting at the top of the tank really restrict the water flow a lot as well.  The hole size inside is very small from memory I’d guess not much more than 5mm when fully opened up.   So I changed that as well.

Those kits really aren’t that great without plenty of mods imho. 

I think you need 19mm bsp fittings.   Mine came from Masters as I preferred their fitting to the brand Bunnings stocked.  I’m sure eBay would have what you want. 

Thanks Welster. The strainer said it was 3/4inch and I picked up a new 3/4 inch BSP elbow at Bunnings today. It fitted fine. I can also put a 2nd elbow on it to point it forward. What do you reckon is best?

259966FB-5A7D-43E9-8486-7A56B79C21C9.jpeg

81B61587-3C37-4811-841B-57E3465638C6.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Thanks Welster. The strainer said it was 3/4inch and I picked up a new 3/4 inch BSP elbow at Bunnings today. It fitted fine. I can also put a 2nd elbow on it to point it forward. What do you reckon is best?

259966FB-5A7D-43E9-8486-7A56B79C21C9.jpeg

81B61587-3C37-4811-841B-57E3465638C6.jpeg

I thought about using my strainer/filter and decided against it.

I don’t think the first pic will do much unless you put a something inside the back half of the filter to catch the water and force it up.

The second will definitely force water in (a lot I’m thinking) but it’s also likely to be pretty susceptible to damage due to sitting so far below the hull.   It will probably give off a fair rooster tail and might get damaged when pulled up on the beach.   There’s one way to find out though.   Let you us know how it goes. 

• Like 2

I think Baz is having the same trouble as I had trying to figure out how to incorporate a filter.  

I started with inside the fitting before I screwed it on but the thing was if it clogged up I couldn’t clear it out on the water.  Result dead livies.

So I switched to the stuck on type on the bottom of the fitting at least the weed and crap has a chance of falling away especially if you notice it isn’t pumping and flick it on and off.  It’s probably a good case for a pump timer.  It’s untidy but works good. If anyone has a better solution I’d love to hear it.

It’s another big advantage of the external pump and pick up.  If the pickup gets clogged up at least it will still pump water when the boats stationary. 

• Like 1

Before I went to vote this morning, I got a hacksaw and cut through the bottom of the elbow on an angle and still managed to screw the filter on. I think it will work. I’ve also confirmed that I have an auto bilge pump (I didn’t really know as it’s never activated, unlike my old boat which was always kicking in!).

0E5EFB7C-EE44-4454-B2E6-803607F10C36.jpeg

C1E33713-E20D-4210-B8E9-B169EB68F848.jpeg

8643763A-5F7D-4D19-883B-DD397A6D05D9.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 1

Ribbon weed mostly I think.   When I had the filter in line it would block it up at the filter.  With it external it has a chance of clearing.   

The pumps mounted on the back of the boat have one in the form of the slotted plastic base that screws onto the stainless pickups.   Then the pump clicks into it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

My hds5 did it at fad   i had it on shallow in the menu   changed it to deep  no probs

Well, that’s promising at least! Did it say it was 0.5m deep? On the move and at rest? Trouble is, mine does it crossing Shoal Bay too and at Cabbage Tree. It just got worse out wide and was all over the place! Sometimes it reads 300+m sometimes 15 and sometimes 0.5m - when I know it’s 20, or 40 or 50. This morning in the boatport I reset it to defaults and then set to deep salt water, so I’ll see how it goes next time.

Unfortunately, I suspect the transducer or cable might be the issue. Perhaps when I lowered the transducer to get a better read at speed, I’ve stretched the cable and the wires aren’t connecting properly all the time. Also, I access the brightness control by hitting the power button and two trips ago I couldn’t access it and had to pull the head unit out of the mount to power off, then remount it and power on with the button. Then, last trip, at the FAD, the sounder just shut down and I had to power back on again. Maybe there’s some electrical connection issues.

I rang BLA (distributor for Humminbird) and they said they’d need to test the transducer and head unit, so send it all to them. I’m not looking forward to tracing the cable and removing it all. Plus it will leave me without a sounder and GPS and with a hole in the transom where the cable goes through!  A new transducer with cable is over $400, so if I just order one and change it and it doesn’t fix it, that’s money down the toilet. Wondering if I should just buy a whole new unit. Can probably get a Lowrance with a bigger screen but I don’t really know what to look for.

Edited by Berleyguts