Narrabeen lake

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders 

Took the kids to narrabeen today for some fun family fishing.

Stopped for some fish and chips on the way which we took to the lakeside which was nice and relaxing. Lots of people about and i was pleased to see so many families fishing.

The plan was to let the kids catch some fish and with that in mind i was fishing super light with a size 10 hook under a float with a tiny split shot sinker.

We were using prawns and cutting them up into tiny pieces just to get them onto the top of the hook and it was proving very successful. The kids were having a blast catching little bream, tiny trevally and tailor were everywhere. Nothing over 20cm but to the kids they were huge !! 

The family next to me werent having much luck and i could see their kids growing bored and frustrated so i wandered over to see how things were going. I quickly realised that whilst their setup was theoretically correct, the hook was too big for the size of fish hanging around. So i donated some of my size 10 hooks and with some slight adjustments their kids were quickly onto some fish.

Not monsters but for the kids it was all fun !

Great memories on a great sunday.

Thanks for reading

Sam

IMG-20190324-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20190324-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20190324-WA0014.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

sounds like a good day by looking at the photos on the children faces love Narrabeen lakes and it holds some nice fish at times also the fish and chips shop is a winner 

Thanks mate they had a blast the smiles say it all ! Hopefully theyl become my fishing buddies as they grow older.

9 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Good stuff helpin out the others

Cheers Rick

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Good onya Sam! That’s what it’s all about, keeping the kids interested. Nice work! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie. Managed to even get the wife interested too for a little while !

52 minutes ago, T_Bert83 said:

Great stuff Sam and good on you for helping out others.

Cheers, Trav

Thanks mate thats what its all about sharing the experience

Well done with your kids and helping the nearby family by fine tuning their gear!

You are dead right about the fish size, kids don't need to catch big fish to be having fun they just need to be catching something.

I used to take my guys fishing when they were little and they all remember it as fun times. One of my sons has become a bigger addict than me catching bluefin off the rocks Spanish mackerel and lots more. It's a great way to share a common interest for the rest of your life if your lucky.

cheers

Fil

• Like 1

Good on you for helping out, amazing how often you turn up in a situation like that and you see big sinkers, packet wire traces etc , teaching beginners to scale everything down improves their results out of sight! brings back memories of doing this with my kids.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

Well done with your kids and helping the nearby family by fine tuning their gear!

You are dead right about the fish size, kids don't need to catch big fish to be having fun they just need to be catching something.

I used to take my guys fishing when they were little and they all remember it as fun times. One of my sons has become a bigger addict than me catching bluefin off the rocks Spanish mackerel and lots more. It's a great way to share a common interest for the rest of your life if your lucky.

cheers

Fil

Thanks Fil. Your right its these memories that build into good common interests in the future. I still remember my first flathead when my dad took me to apple tree bay in kuringgai national park. Great memories.

58 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Good on you for helping out, amazing how often you turn up in a situation like that and you see big sinkers, packet wire traces etc , teaching beginners to scale everything down improves their results out of sight! brings back memories of doing this with my kids.

I was happy to help and they had all the right gear just not in the right size ! Hooks were too big and they had about 2m of line under the float when the water depth probably wasn't more than a meter or so. 

46 minutes ago, Rah said:

Great way to spend a Sunday. And good on you for helping out!!

Thanks rah , thats the raider spirit isnt it

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 3:33 PM, Houdini said:

Sometimes it's more fun watching the kids catch a fish than doing it yourself. Only sometimes though!

Haha....I guess as long as those bream are under 20cm the fisho inside me wont get too jealous 😂😂😂