More Dollies off Sydney

The Rev

The late run of dollies continues off SYDNEY.   I also went to the Sydney Fad and Wave Rider buoy on Wednesday catching 12 and keeping 7 between us.  Water was up over 23c when we left the WRB and nice and blue.  Fish kept were 60-67cm in size.  We caught most of them on small live yellowtail though did also get some on pilchard chunks and soft plastic lures.

cheers

The Rev

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Nice report & catch, went out yesterday & caught same sized ones, we went to the fad a bit further out in similar conditions to you, what was the plastic & jig that worked if you don’t mind me asking?

image.jpg

Great effort.. they are great fish species. They don’t pull as well as kingies but they are usually a lot more aggressive and less fussy on the bite.

just in case you haven’t tried this, often the bigger models will be off the fad a fair way so it’s worthwhile dropping a livey down some distance away from the fad.

cheers 

jim

• Like 2

Thanks Jim - will give it a try next time out.  Not sure though it will be this season as Wednesday’s trip was the last one one I can do for 2-3 weeks and I suspect the colder currents will have hit by then ☹️

2 hours ago, fragmeister said:

Great effort.. they are great fish species. They don’t pull as well as kingies but they are usually a lot more aggressive and less fussy on the bite.

just in case you haven’t tried this, often the bigger models will be off the fad a fair way so it’s worthwhile dropping a livey down some distance away from the fad.

cheers 

jim

Nice tip hope I remember it next season was out today for no keepers lots undersize at wave buoy  but fussy got 2 on pilly tails behind pea sinker. Saw a few inspect cubes before a take behind the boat at the wave rider water was 23.4. On the way back lots of boats at the fad so kept going

Hi The Rev,

Well done. We went out Monday last to Sydney East FAD and caught 4 undersize, my son got one at 59cm, so went back. Was the first time out for us all. A work colligue suggested we troll with lures.

Went back ANZAC day after 12.30pm. Tried with bait, yakkas, ganged pillies. Nothing. Trolled lures from 2.30pm till 4.30pm, nothing. When we arrived there were 3 spearfishers in the water, that may be why we had nothing even bite.

Do they go off the bite in the afternoon? 

Could I ask where the Wave Rider Bouy is?

Cheers Craig.

Dollie.jpg

On 4/28/2019 at 8:00 AM, SnapperCraig said:

Hi The Rev,

Well done. We went out Monday last to Sydney East FAD and caught 4 undersize, my son got one at 59cm, so went back. Was the first time out for us all. A work colligue suggested we troll with lures.

Went back ANZAC day after 12.30pm. Tried with bait, yakkas, ganged pillies. Nothing. Trolled lures from 2.30pm till 4.30pm, nothing. When we arrived there were 3 spearfishers in the water, that may be why we had nothing even bite.

Do they go off the bite in the afternoon? 

Could I ask where the Wave Rider Bouy is?

Cheers Craig.

Hi Craig - here is the link to the web page wit the location.

http://new.mhl.nsw.gov.au/data/realtime/wave/docs/Sydney.pdf

As the GPS marks are only to 2 decimal places - when you get there head south east has been my memory of where it was located.

Also - Dollies in my experience will often turn on the bite then after a while and particularly if there is a bit of boat traffic - turn off.  I have found that the best time is first thing in the morning when the boat traffic is at a minimum.

Cheers

The Rev