South West Rocks sun

hookerbruce

.. Arrived in SWR about 3 pm after an easy trip from Sydney. A quick unpack and out to the breakwall by 4. Fished till just after  5 . First fish went very hard and felt good but managed to get into the rocks and cut me off.  The next 7 fish landed 6 all in the mid 30s .Stopped fishing just after 5 kept 1 for dinner 

Only had a dozen downs and no one else fishing for blackfish. 

Go chase flathead now. 

Bruce 

• Like 3

Put the tinnie in the water 11:30 plan was catch herrings for live bait and throw flies and lures. Backup was a big handful of pilchards and nipper pump.

No herrings and couldn't get a hit on flies or lures. After an hour total catch was a bream and a Bonito on pilchard. Moved to next spot nothing on fly, a decent flathead on pilchard. Moved again still nothing on fly but nippers and pilchards worked really well. 

Lost count of the flathead well over a dozen all legal and half were over 50cm plus 8 or 9 legal bream

Kept the Bonito 1 flathead and a couple of bream. 

20190506_173924.jpg

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, hookerbruce said:

Put the tinnie in the water 11:30 plan was catch herrings for live bait and throw flies and lures. Backup was a big handful of pilchards and nipper pump.

No herrings and couldn't get a hit on flies or lures. After an hour total catch was a bream and a Bonito on pilchard. Moved to next spot nothing on fly, a decent flathead on pilchard. Moved again still nothing on fly but nippers and pilchards worked really well. 

Lost count of the flathead well over a dozen all legal and half were over 50cm plus 8 or 9 legal bream

Kept the Bonito 1 flathead and a couple of bream. 

20190506_173924.jpg

Show off Bruce, not going out until 11.30. :lol:

Sounds like a good time on the water.

Dave.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Oscarthebeagle said:

Some good fish to start your trip. Did you take weed up or get it there?

Much maintenance or painting getting done on the house?

Brought weed up but there is enough growing up here.

Work another day 

here's dinner 20190506_191550.thumb.jpg.af6b51d91de7a41283e044e134831e36.jpg

• Like 1

Nice bag of fish especially including the ones you let go!

I'm assuming you weren't in the river given the bonito?

Hows the water temp? Any sign of the red weed? I'm hoping to spend a couple of days at Hat Head on the way up to Byron next week and also hoping the red weed isn't back again as it came in last time I was there and buggered the fishing