Daiwa Tatula 100 (2018 model) opinions?

bkinsman

Anyone sporting one of these reels  yet?

Really like the compact form factor and simple controls, wondering how they go with saltwater and lures/jig heads in the 2-5gm range?
The Daiwa product page says "finesse" but it seems a bit bit vague and unconvincing...
Tossing up between a Tatula or a Daiwa Silver Wolf S SZ (wondering if this may be limiting?) for some light estuary stuff (yes I know a spin setup is more versatile but i want to add a baitcaster to the 4 spin and 3 fly setups i have), I know the Tatula will slay throwing heavier stuff but don't know about the Silver Fox (if anyone has any feedback on that model it would be appreciated too)

Use: close quarters and shorter range/precise stuff with hardbodies, vibes and sp's
Rod: Daiwa Lunkerhunter 6' 2-6kg
Line: 6lb braid with leader ranging from 4-12lb depending on target..

(i know i can get a lighter spool for it but would prefer not to mod stuff just yet if possible...)

Edited by bkinsman

11 hours ago, Jimmy_Recard said:

I wouldn't suggest running light braid on a baitcaster as that usually spells disaster , rather something like 8lb flurocarbon straight-through. Fluro is also a lot more forgiving with backlashes.

certainly if you get a backlash it can be a bit messy with braid but baitcasters are pretty easy to cast compared to a full overhead set up, i use braid on mine and have no more problems than i do with mono- as for using fluro-why bother just use mono, there are some very small advantages with fluro for abrasion resistance but the "ivinvisibility" is over sold. It also has poor knot strenght and can embritt;le if abused.

9 hours ago, PaddyT said:

certainly if you get a backlash it can be a bit messy with braid but baitcasters are pretty easy to cast compared to a full overhead set up, i use braid on mine and have no more problems than i do with mono- as for using fluro-why bother just use mono, there are some very small advantages with fluro for abrasion resistance but the "ivinvisibility" is over sold. It also has poor knot strenght and can embritt;le if abused.

Nothing wrong with using heavier braid like 20lb+, but 6lb braid on baitcasters is less than ideal, as lighter line tends to dig into the spool. I've also always been a big fan in flurocarbon, I'm sure mono will achieve the same results however

spooled it up with some mono backing and 4x 6lb daiwa braid this arvo..
it works!!
with a 3.4gm bream crank bait i'm getting about 10m with just a light underarm throw, had a few backlashes until i worked out how to thumb it (this is my first baitcaster) and adjust the brakes to taste. 
will try and take it out to the park tomorrow morning and see what happens if load the rod up a bit more

ok, you will actually find heavier weights easier to throw when you are learning, chucking really light weights off a baitcaster aint that easy- a good way to start is set the brake so the lure can slowly descend from the rod tip when in free spool- try a few casts and back off from there until you get a few back lashes- keep your casting smooth and slightly round arm and you will be fine.