FIrst time Baitcaster

NBFisho

Gday Raiders,

Got some cash for my Birthday on Wed so I spent it on a new Shimano Raider and Caenan Baitcaster, Last time I used a baitcaster I spent more time unravelling bird nests than actual fishing.

This was my new mission. So today I wondered down to Fairlight with the express aim of practicing with hookless lures just to get a feel for things. After an hour of using Lures, divers and poppers with success I decided to throw on an 1/8 ounce Sp and try for a fish. First cast produced a nice flattie which inturn became lunch.

Moral of the story, I've just turned 46 so never doubt you can learn something new and give it a crack.

Mark.

Flattie.jpg

Nice work. I had a lot of trouble when I first tried

a baitcaster. I had someone show me a few things and lot of

YouTube, and mostly, Now I can use it ok, without too many nests.

Its just practice and the knowledge that sometimes you'll be pulling out

the nests!

Great work Mark!

Trying something new has akways kept my passion for fishing alive. I believe i wrote up a very similar report about a year ago when I was doing the same thing. Absolutely love them now...gotta get into this fly fishing business now and give that a crack ?

The american bass fisho's on youtube are nuts about baitcasters and in turn have some great instructional vids online too. 

Thanks for the report mate ?

Ads

9 hours ago, sam bros said:

Nice work mate, ive wanted to give a baicaster a go as well but not sure what the advantage is to a regular spinning reel?

Here's my take on it after a lot of question to people who use baitcasters and swear by them plus watching the pros on TV comps and dvds.

Baitcaster pros: less weight, more line capacity, better control (1 handed casting), heavier drag, more options(gear ratio), less line twist, manages heavier lines better, handles heavy lures with a smaller sized reel vs spinning.

Cons: They don't handle lighter lures very well, not very good with light lines, harder to learn to cast, 

Is fun trying to learn using it as I see people using them single handed with such accuracy that I want to be able to do that as well.

Cheers, Mark.

Nice work mate,

I was up in Darwin a couple of months back and I reckon it had been a good 5 years since I had the baitcaster out.

within 20 minutes it was all good again.

I need to get the fly gear happening and that's another story.

Well done ,don't be afraid to have a go.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Mike89 said:

Nice catch, your post has definitely piqued my interest in getting one myself.

Always great to nab a nice fish on new gear.

They are so much fun Mike, I haven't picked up another rod since I got it..lol