Cable issue with aerial for radio

61 crusher

Hi guys I hope someone can give me some advice re cable issue, I have a lowrance LVR-250 unit with GME  swivel airial bracket & have noticed bloody cockatoos have chewed at the cable sheath & damaged the wire & now have no reception BFABE570-177E-46A8-A6EF-B6D0772B6868.thumb.jpeg.649a3642bd94df03c85b19b1661cce24.jpegEAB22F81-A71B-4B4E-A2A1-26C8DB802EB9.thumb.jpeg.33ffbe09705c8e13cf47ee025cef4c6e.jpegbefore I dismantle or do anything has anyone have any suggestions for the best way to fix this problem. I have a small amount of free play of cable coming from the lowrance which might be enough, any help would be appreciated cheers in advance Dieter 

Edited by 61 crusher

Don't cut the cable, leave it the length supplied, try to conceal the extra length, buy the longest aerial you can for maximum performance and mount it as high as posdible.

11 minutes ago, noelm said:

Don't cut the cable, leave it the length supplied, try to conceal the extra length, buy the longest aerial you can for maximum performance and mount it as high as posdible.

The whip aerial is about 600 to 800mm+ above the hardtop of the barcrusher & the original install is a shortened cable, I was more concerned about electrical interference with sounder etc, if it’s hard to conceal in the dash I might have to speak to a Sparkie 

Cutting the cable can degrade performance, the aerial and cable length are tuned to specific tolerance, radio communication is "line if sight" the higher it is, the further it can "see" 

Thanks for the feedback @noelm after purchasing the new base & seeing the cable I’ll have no problem fitting it all in to the dash cavity & after looking at aerial length without measuring the tip of it would be 3m+ above the water line & was thinking of using some sort of hose as a sheath on the exposed cable to stop another cocky vandalism