Snapper fishing at night

GoingFishing

16 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

G'day Raiders

Has anyone fished for reds at night ? Are they usually "sight" hunters ?

if you want to sit in the ocean at night good luck get rays and rubbish. Yeah deep water reds bite all day around 200ft on a good reef on the east coast  around high tide is good fresh squid and a stray line rig  works good dont go heavy line good luck.

I find as a general rule, Snapper go off the bite as it gets dark, sometimes you will pick up the odd one, but when it's "properly" dark, lots of rubbish moves in, plus Tailor will remove you of tackle.

I fish a lot of shallow water burley trail  floati g baits   i get reds round dark and just after usually  occasionaly we will get one later on but generally die off two hrs after dark    deeper water is different they seem to bite longer especially when mixed in with trag   saying that everywhere can be different  we get them in middle of night while fishing for jew in lake macquarie

• Like 2

@GoingFishing We were anchored up on a reef. My side of the boat was only catching snapper (and sharks) and the other side was catching Trags. We started just before dusk and fish another couple of hours after that. I guess that ties in with what the others were saying above. It turned an ordinary day into a good one! We had a go at deep dropping (300-400 m) for donuts and  hours trolling for the result.  

• Like 1

Interesting comments, surprised people seem to think that they shutdown at night? Snapper are certainly one species I can't claim to have figured out as I have had only limited results chasing them. From what I have seen as by-catch chasing jew and on the few trips I have seriously targeted them the undersized fish certainly seem to shut down at night but the better fish still seem to bite.

On top of my personal experience I've had one mate who had great success over the years bait fishing for bigger snapper at night time. Also, if anyone every watched the youfish tv series tat used to be on channel 32 those guys were in Victoria but pretty much exclusively fished for them at night and certainly had them pretty well figured out.

Cheers,

Rich

Edited by Mr Squidy

This time of year especially trying to target snapper at night is very difficult. Last time woodsy and I tried it, we ended up with so many tailor we pulled the pin! Best off, coming up here early morning and slaying them! 😝

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr Squidy said:

Interesting comments, surprised people seem to think that they shutdown at night? Snapper are certainly one species I can't claim to have figured out as I have had only limited results chasing them. From what I have seen as by-catch chasing jew and on the few trips I have seriously targeted them the undersized fish certainly seem to shut down at night but the better fish still seem to bite.

On top of my personal experience I've had one mate who had great success over the years bait fishing for bigger snapper at night time. Also, if anyone every watched the youfish tv series tat used to be on channel 32 those guys were in Victoria but pretty much exclusively fished for them at night and certainly had them pretty well figured out.

Cheers,

Rich

Funny I thought night time was good for them ever since reading a magazine write up as a kid.  Pretty sure that was far north NSW.   

Youfish is my favourite fishing show. 

Well back in the day. Bob Dyer would anchor up over a reef and just sit there with a slow burley slick, sometimes for hours after dark and not put a bait in the water, Till he saw colour, red colour and then he would start fishing for Snapper. He was very successful and would do it time after time. So I guess if you are prepared to spend the time on water after dark success can be had.

Frank

14 hours ago, Welster said:

Funny I thought night time was good for them ever since reading a magazine write up as a kid.  Pretty sure that was far north NSW.   

Youfish is my favourite fishing show. 

Yeah, Youfish is a top show in terms of seeing how other genuine fisherman have mastered their methods and also in showing the genuine ups and downs involved in chasing big fish. Get pretty bored of some of the celebrity presenters where its just watching some grinning idiot bringing in fish but the brains and effort behind the fishing is some charter operator or other local who you never even see.

Cheers,

Rich