Bellambi Reds

GoingFishing

G'day Raiders

Perfect weather today. Haven't been out in about a month and was pumped to get out.

Arrived at the ramp nice and early but dead low tide. Lots of boats launching but I could only use the far left side so took a while to get underway.

Tried a few spots and found a few fish at each. Biggest red nudging 42cm and most around 35. Got two pigfish too.

The hybrid paternoster/snapper rig continues to perform well. I am sold on its catch rate, particularly in deep water. Biggest two reds fell to the hybrid today and catches were split 50/50.

Was good to get back out. Perfect conditions and lots of sunshine.

Thanks for reading.

Sam

Screenshot_20190609-203153_Gallery.jpg

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

Nice bag of fish there Sam well done. How was the current out there?

Thanks mate. When the wind died down we were barely drifting so id say bugger all current. I only fished out to 50m so perhaps the current is running faster out deeper.

27 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Nice catch there, Sam. Well done!

Can you please explain the “hybrid paternoster/snapper rig”?

Thanks Baz

I've been trialing a hybrid for deep water snapper fishing. Essentially a 1.5m trace to a 3 way swivel. Bottom of the 1.5m trace is a conventional loop for sinkers that can be interchanged based on depth (paternoster style). Off the three way swivel a 30cm trace with two size 5 octopus hooks (snapper rig style). Gang hook a whole pillie and loop the line (or a small rubber band if you remember to bring them) over the tail to keep it all neat and tidy. 

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Great stuff Sam! Good to see some one out there chasing reds! Did you try any shallow reefs with sps? 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Cheers Scratchie !! Unfortunately I didn't try SP. Mostly because none of the others onboard don't know how to fish SP

4 hours ago, fragmeister said:

Good work Sam.

You’ve  come up with the goods once again.

Can’t wait to get out there.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim. Hope that ankle is healing OK and you get out there soon

3 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Great report and top bag Sam well done

Thanks MF

1 hour ago, Welster said:

Very nice feed there.   That 42cm one already has s pretty good bump on its head.

Yes and I must say it pulled alot harder than it's size. I thought it was going to be bigger (But still happy of course)

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Great fishing. Thanks for the tip on the snapper rig.

Cheers mate give it a try. You can get all sorts last time I went out got a trag on the hybrid rig

54 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Great work @GoingFishing

They are the best eating size to me.

I think I have tried that rig you describe & ended up with to many tangles.

I find 40cm to be a really good eating size. You get some really nice thick flesh come off.

I haven't had any tangles yet but the line can wrap around the sinker trace occasionally. That's an easy fix though.

Use as thick line as your comfortable going. I'm fishing with 25lb

40 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Great stuff, snapper are up the top of my list for the table.

Just wondering if the cuttlefish run has started yet? things really fire up then.

Thanks Ryder. Yup a great eating fish. I did get a few distinct cuttlefish/squid pulls early morning but didn't get any to the boat. Would have loved one for fresh bait

Edited by GoingFishing

When they do come on, mating season, the males bloat up and float to the surface and die. They look like a big black/brown blob 2-3 ft across. The birds attack from above, and the snapper below. If you find one cut some bait off it and cast back to it unweighted. Good fun, Good Luck.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Ryder said:

When they do come on, mating season, the males bloat up and float to the surface and die. They look like a big black/brown blob 2-3 ft across. The birds attack from above, and the snapper below. If you find one cut some bait off it and cast back to it unweighted. Good fun, Good Luck.

Thanks for the tip. Will keep a lookout next time! PS. RE cuttlefish death, you could say it's a nice way to go 😂😂

4 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Ah, I was thinking there were 2 lines from the swivel with hooks.

Thanks for.that.

It goes without saying.....never use this set up with braid mainline !!! That would be an absolute mess !.

You could wack on 10m of mono topshot before the braid main line but your just adding another possible point of failure.

Edited by GoingFishing

Same rig almost that I use when drifting, except, I don't use a three way swivel, just a quality "normal" one, and hook and sinker leader connect to bottom, main line to top, and if drifting gravel bottom or sand (about the only place I drift) I use a heavy lure instead of a sinker, quite often get fish on the lure too, I tend to use 15-20lb leader at the most

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wissam said:

Great report , I can't wait till I go there , do you always use 25 Pound leader for snappers ? What about the main line ? Mono or braided ? And what size?

Bellambi is a great spot to fish during the winter. If your going there for the first time, please make sure you read the post here on FR about Bellambi boat ramp. it is not an easy boat ramp to launch & retrieve at especially on low tide, and even more so if you have a boat thats 5m++. For bigger boats use the far left hand side of the ramp which is the deepest. Watch the water for a good 5 mins or so to see what the swell is doing as sometimes the wash can come across the ramp pushing everything into each other (thats fun). Most importantly, ask the locals if your unsure, they are happy to help, and get very agitated if you spend 30 minutes fart assing around at the ramp ( as would i )

Once your out there look for broken reef with gravel, pinnacles and anything else fishy. 

When im bottom bashing in deep water using either paternoster or the hybrid i use 25lb mono main line and leader because more often than not, by catch can include other fish such as trag, flathead, kingfish. 

If im fishing shallow water using a snapper rig, i use lighter line with lighter leader, usually around 15lb. For this i usually fish braid main line, with about 15m of mono topshot straight to the hook. The 15m of topshot is especially helpful as it keeps the bait and sinker away from the braid mainline, which as you know has a tendency to become an absolute mess.

2 hours ago, noelm said:

Same rig almost that I use when drifting, except, I don't use a three way swivel, just a quality "normal" one, and hook and sinker leader connect to bottom, main line to top, and if drifting gravel bottom or sand (about the only place I drift) I use a heavy lure instead of a sinker, quite often get fish on the lure too, I tend to use 15-20lb leader at the most

Do you also use a 1.5m trace to the sinker? I was tempted to try this even longer (2.5m) the other day but it becomes quite impractical on the retrieve and baiting.

Edited by GoingFishing

20 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Easy to set up and so far proving to be deadly.

HYBRID.JPG

Great bag of reds!!

Interesting with what you say about the looped line around the pillies tail? Sounds like you would be rigging the pillie so you were pulling them backwards as you drift? Would have thought it would look more natural with the top hook through the pillies head and bottom hook into the tail. Otherwise looks like a good setup.

Cheers,

Rich

Edited by Mr Squidy