Bream and flathead

JonD

My eldest has been hitting the water most days with some very good success on 3lb line class. Those ultralight line classses really seem to encourage the most lethargic of fish into attack mode.

IMG_2891.thumb.JPG.d15128aee1492069c7c16d69808d7179.JPGIMG_2892.thumb.JPG.2bed7aa4d40e1878e36be53b227362a7.JPGIMG_2893.thumb.JPG.d49b8cb1a0663def37b99199a63e0c44.JPG

• Like 10

Great stuff! Yes, I used to get a lot more interest, especially in the clear water, on 1kg line class (mono) and it made the fight a real challenge - teaches you to take it easy and not rush things. Only trouble I have now is it’s getting harder and harder to see to tie the knots properly!

• Like 1

A few nice fish there.

I've been fishing 3lb FC a fair bit over the last couple of years and my bream catch rate has increased significantly. When fishing plastics, line twist has been an issue but dragging it behind the kayak without a lure between drifts fixes that.

Oddly enough I haven't experienced many flathead chewing through the leader and have caught fish up to 84cm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frankS said:

That looks like a Mallacoota Flathead to me. Jon your daughter's are truly great fishers and keep coming up with remarkable catches and top photos.

Frank

Yes correct Mallacoota. She's managed to find a few good little bream spots right on our doorstep, however the netters hit one local lake hard recently.

Wow 3lb :blink:

I think I'd struggle to even tie knots with 3lb without braking it with my finesse lacking fingers 😅

Certainly draws no argument to the fact the lighter you fish the better the hook up rate.

Landing them takes even more finesse!

Nice work 😊

• Like 1