First time boat launch.

Bryson

Hey raiders just after a bit of advise on boat ramps. My best mate bought a boat (awesome for me 😂) we both have boat licenses but have only ever rented boats from boab boats so have no experience launching our own boat from a ramp. Was just wondering if anyone knew of any ramps in the eastern suburbs that are maybe easier to launch from than others? The one at botany is probably the closest to us. It might be that they’re all the same but no harm in asking the raiders 

I usually use the one at Kyeema if fishing the bay but there is nothing wrong with the ramp at Foreshore Drive. Be aware that plenty of cars have gone for a swim sliding in at low tide though. 

Just take your time don’t feel pressured and start to develop a checklist.  

If you can’t reverse practice somewhere else first.

Be prepared before you arrive.

Stop in the prep area. Make sure the bungs are in. Tie down straps are off the back. Motor is off the travel bracket. Rope is ready depending which system you are using. Or have one of you in the boat. Leave the safety chain and winch on!

Reverse back in your lane with the boat in at the right depth that takes a bit of practice but for me the step part of the trailer mud guards are below the water and there is just s little bit of ramp at the back of the car out of the water.  Handbrake on and park or in gear.   If it’s night time ( not on your first attempt) turn your headlights off there is nothing worse than trying to reverse when other people have their headlights on.

Undo the safety chain, I’d usually have the person in the boat lower the motor and start it at this point. Or they can hold the rope if not in the boat most likely standing on the pontoon. Release the winch and give it a push off.   Don’t forget to take the winch handle back off if it’s removable. 

Jump back in the car and go and park it.  Check it’s locked, nothing on display lights off. If possible the person looking after the boat should have moved it further up the pontoon or hang back out out of the way and just nudge up to it to pick you up when you arrive on the pontoon.

The fun is out on the water so don’t hang around at the ramp making a nuisance of yourself.   If you are struggling accept some help and do the same for others.

Edited by Welster
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Welster said:

I usually use the one at Kyeema if fishing the bay but there is nothing wrong with the ramp at Foreshore Drive. Be aware that plenty of cars have gone for a swim sliding in at low tide though. 

Stop in the prep area. Make sure the bungs are in. Tie down straps are off the back. Motor is off the travel bracket. Rope is ready depending which system you are using. Or have one of you in the boat. Leave the safety chain and winch on!

Reverse back in your lane with the boat in at the right depth that takes a bit of practice but for me the step part of the trailer mud guards are below the water and there is just s little bit of ramp at the back of the car out of the water.  Handbrake on and park or in gear.   If it’s night time ( not on your first attempt) turn your headlights off there is nothing worse than trying to reverse when other people have their headlights on.

Undo the safety chain, I’d usually have the person in the boat lower the motor and start it at this point. Or they can hold the rope if not in the boat most likely standing on the pontoon. Release the winch and give it a push off.   Don’t forget to take the winch handle back off if it’s removable. 

Jump back in the car and go and park it.  Check it’s locked, nothing on display lights off. If possible the person looking after the boat should have moved it further up the pontoon or hang back out out of the way and just nudge up to it to pick you up when you arrive on the pontoon.

The fun is out on the water so don’t hang around at the ramp making a nuisance of yourself.   If you are struggling accept some help and do the same for others.

Very good boat ramp etiquette. I wish all boat owners could read this thread. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bryson said:

Hey raiders just after a bit of advise on boat ramps. My best mate bought a boat (awesome for me 😂) we both have boat licenses but have only ever rented boats from boab boats so have no experience launching our own boat from a ramp. Was just wondering if anyone knew of any ramps in the eastern suburbs that are maybe easier to launch from than others? The one at botany is probably the closest to us. It might be that they’re all the same but no harm in asking the raiders 

The boat ramp at foreshore is by far the best. Rose bay ramp is good too but has limited parking.

Welster has pretty much summed it up but I'll add one thing. Try to practice if you can outside of the peak times. Go to the ramp around 4pm or even later and most boaties are on their way home already. That way you can take your time to practice without the pressure of eager and impatient boaties behind you

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Welster said:

Absolute legend, you genuinely have just helped us out so much. Thanks for taking the time to write that, will have my phone at hand and reference to this when we’re at the ramp. Honestly can’t thank you enough 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bryson said:

Absolute legend, you genuinely have just helped us out so much. Thanks for taking the time to write that, will have my phone at hand and reference to this when we’re at the ramp. Honestly can’t thank you enough 

No worries.   There’s plenty more I could write but it will all fall into place.   One other thing is make sure you secure your keys and phone or whatever you have so they don’t end up in the drink.   I never get frustrated with people that get in and have a go even if they are having a few problems, the people that are just inconsiderate they are the annoying ones. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Welster said:

No worries.   There’s plenty more I could write but it will all fall into place.   One other thing is make sure you secure your keys and phone or whatever you have so they don’t end up in the drink.   I never get frustrated with people that get in and have a go even if they are having a few problems, the people that are just inconsiderate they are the annoying ones. 

The missus tripped over a cleat on the dock and dropped her sunnies. I had to go back late that afternoon at low tide and luckily found them. 😂

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Welster said:

Very good advice. My mate Ralph lost his brand new phone a couple of weeks back....had it in his pocket and when climbing aboard after launch the phone went swimming !! 

Another time at drummoyne ramp I almost run over a bloke snorkelling at the edge of the jetty.  He had lost his keys earlier that morning...it was mid winter 2018. He was a brave man !! Don't know if he found them

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Very good advice. My mate Ralph lost his brand new phone a couple of weeks back....had it in his pocket and when climbing aboard after launch the phone went swimming !! 

Another time at drummoyne ramp I almost run over a bloke snorkelling at the edge of the jetty.  He had lost his keys earlier that morning...it was mid winter 2018. He was a brave man !! Don't know if he found them

We were away and had the boat anchored whilst we went back to the house and had lunch.   Of course the key went missing making us think we had dropped it in the water.   After all of us searching for two hours including snorkling around they turned in the mates wife’s bag.    Since then I always take a spare for the boat and car when away. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

I also lost my brand new phone at Bayview a few years back. Bent over to tie up and saw a phone butterflying down into the depths. At first I thought "that's strange, where would a phone come from" and then it struck me that it's mine from my shirt pocket. Next thought was "dive after it!" which luckily I didn't or I would have lost a phone and a auto inflate life jacket. 😂

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Welster said:

Excellent advise mate.Maybe you can give me advice how to catch Yowies fish?😂😂.Good on you.

12 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Excellent advise mate.Maybe you can give me advice how to catch Yowies fish?😂😂.Good on you.

Yeah nah only the man himself can help with that.  You could try bribing him with a couple of Mowies 🤣

• Haha 1

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:20 PM, GoingFishing said:

The boat ramp at foreshore is by far the best. Rose bay ramp is good too but has limited parking.

Welster has pretty much summed it up but I'll add one thing. Try to practice if you can outside of the peak times. Go to the ramp around 4pm or even later and most boaties are on their way home already. That way you can take your time to practice without the pressure of eager and impatient boaties behind you

I've launched at most ramps around BB & yes Foreshore Rd is by far the best as it has 2 pontoons the surface road is clean not slippery as it is at some.

BUT to @Bryson I would heed GF's advice & try to get to the ramp on a week day if possible for your 1st attempt & especially if you just want to spent time sussing it all out.

Any ramp on the weekend can be a bit of a pressure cooker of a place when you don't know what you are doing & your holding up 10 people trying to rush to get their boats in & even in the afternoon as people are trying to get out!!

I don't actually go to Foreshore Rd on the weekend & choose to travel a bit further to another ramp if I do choose to go fishing on sat/sun but that is rare now.

I love midweek fishing :thumbup:

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

I hear ya.Don't miss weekend fishing trips at all.

I work during the week so only get to fish weekend's. If you get to the ramp early enough it's actually not that bad from my experience. Actually it's pretty good.

I find that between 5 and 6am generally speaking it's the "hardcore" fisherman dropping their boats in. They usually know what they're doing, have woken up at sparrows fart to be there and are busting to get out there. 

It's only when the rest of the population wakes up, combined with the part time or once a year boaties that things at the boat ramp get frustrating!

Edited by GoingFishing

16 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

I've launched at most ramps around BB & yes Foreshore Rd is by far the best as it has 2 pontoons the surface road is clean not slippery as it is at some.

BUT to @Bryson I would heed GF's advice & try to get to the ramp on a week day if possible for your 1st attempt & especially if you just want to spent time sussing it all out.

Any ramp on the weekend can be a bit of a pressure cooker of a place when you don't know what you are doing & your holding up 10 people trying to rush to get their boats in & even in the afternoon as people are trying to get out!!

I don't actually go to Foreshore Rd on the weekend & choose to travel a bit further to another ramp if I do choose to go fishing on sat/sun but that is rare now.

I love midweek fishing :thumbup:

We bought the boat yesterday and the guy selling was great showed us how to put it in/out of the water and explained everything brilliantly, after exchanging the $$ and paperwork we had a go at launching and went relatively smoothly, was very quiet at the ramp thou out on the Hawkesbury... might not be so easy if there is a que of boats up our ass 👀

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Bryson said:

We bought the boat yesterday and the guy selling was great showed us how to put it in/out of the water and explained everything brilliantly, after exchanging the $$ and paperwork we had a go at launching and went relatively smoothly, was very quiet at the ramp thou out on the Hawkesbury... might not be so easy if there is a que of boats up our ass 👀

There's never a que at the ramps I use, simply because I rarely get to them before 10am.