Beach fishing

Howdoweplaythis

Short report today. Been months since I've picked up a rod and reel due to work commitments so decided I'd hit the beach on my day off. High tide at 6pm, 0.6m swell and light winds. 3 salmon caught on pilchards on gang hooks just after high tide. Bite time was short and died off pretty quick. They weren't huge but it feels amazing when you haven't caught a fish in ages. My cats also love them 👍

See you out there 

IMG_20190729_191404.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Howdoweplaythis said:

Short report today. Been months since I've picked up a rod and reel due to work commitments so decided I'd hit the beach on my day off. High tide at 6pm, 0.6m swell and light winds. 3 salmon caught on pilchards on gang hooks just after high tide. Bite time was short and died off pretty quick. They weren't huge but it feels amazing when you haven't caught a fish in ages. My cats also love them 👍

See you out there 

IMG_20190729_191404.jpg

Nice mate.

I think more people need to make more use of them or try to use them, E.g. bait, cooked with proper care and recipes so they taste decent, and even feed for the cats which you have done which is a great. 

27 minutes ago, Oz98 said:

Nice mate.

I think more people need to make more use of them or try to use them, E.g. bait, cooked with proper care and recipes so they taste decent, and even feed for the cats which you have done which is a great. 

They make great shark bait. I'm indifferent about the taste of them, perhaps a little on the fishy side for my liking but i do have family members who love them. I am a little reluctant to eat any fish from the beach because after thorough washing i can never get all the sand out 

When I caught the smaller ones in my younger days, around the 3 pound mark, I would remove the gut and gills and mum would fill the cavity with her cooked rice mixture of chopped bacon, a little bit of capsicum, corn kernels and a few other additives, wrap in foil and bake in the oven.

Don't overcook so it does not dry out. The salmon always tasted pretty good. If you don't like the red blood stripe, just remove it before eating. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yowie said:

When I caught the smaller ones in my younger days, around the 3 pound mark, I would remove the gut and gills and mum would fill the cavity with her cooked rice mixture of chopped bacon, a little bit of capsicum, corn kernels and a few other additives, wrap in foil and bake in the oven.

Don't overcook so it does not dry out. The salmon always tasted pretty good. If you don't like the red blood stripe, just remove it before eating. 

My brother lives down south of Hobart and we regularly get smaller models down there (more around the 1kg or so). I certainly think they eat much better than the bigger fish we get up here normally, dont dry out as much on cooking.

Rich

Salmon are great fun off the beach. Well done! I usually make fish cakes out of mine but an Asian friend once cooked one in the oven in foil with lemon, ginger, chilli, etc. and it was nice. The Kiwis eat them all the time across the ditch.

23 hours ago, Howdoweplaythis said:

They make great shark bait. I'm indifferent about the taste of them, perhaps a little on the fishy side for my liking but i do have family members who love them. I am a little reluctant to eat any fish from the beach because after thorough washing i can never get all the sand out 

Oh cool, didn't know that. 

yeah I bought one a while back, filleted and baked it, was absolutely horrible. I am yet to give up on it and will try again.  A fella from the Sydney fish market once told me to cut them into strips or" cubes" and lightly dust them with spiced flour and they go alright. 

Oz. 

4 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Salmon are great fun off the beach. Well done! I usually make fish cakes out of mine but an Asian friend once cooked one in the oven in foil with lemon, ginger, chilli, etc. and it was nice. The Kiwis eat them all the time across the ditch.

I Wonder if they taste better over there or the same species? 

1 hour ago, Oz98 said:

I Wonder if they taste better over there or the same species? 

Same species... arrapis trutta, known as kahawai over there. If you watch Big Fish, you’ll see they cook them up all the time. Like all fish, bleed them, get the blood line out and cook them fresh, they do OK.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Oz98 said:

Oh cool, didn't know that. 

yeah I bought one a while back, filleted and baked it, was absolutely horrible. I am yet to give up on it and will try again.  A fella from the Sydney fish market once told me to cut them into strips or" cubes" and lightly dust them with spiced flour and they go alright. 

Oz. 

I fillet them and cut out the bloodlines, cut into cubes and crumb then pan fry in oil. Actually taste really good. The crumb stops it from drying out

• Like 1

I have eaten them hundreds of times, and I catch "top" table fish too, but, if you get one (not from a shop) fresh, clean it as soon as possible, fillet, cut all the blood meat away, and skin it, leaving no blood under the skin, then simply rolled in flour, or crumbed, they taste good, the flesh is not white, it is kind of grey, but that doesn't affect the taste at all, leave them uncleared in the fridge for a day or so, and they get very strong flavoured.

Hi there

Never used to eat salmon as i think they are horrible until i smoked them like the kiwis do. The difference is amazing, they taste good that way.

When i catch them, bleed them straight away and have them head down in the bucket to assist draining the blood out. You are left with white fleash and a very thin blood line.

10 hours ago, wcurrall said:

I fillet them and cut out the bloodlines, cut into cubes and crumb then pan fry in oil. Actually taste really good. The crumb stops it from drying out

yum ill have to try this! 👍

I have eaten them numbers of times as sashimi. The ones around, just a guess, 1 1/2 lb were best. Bleed them straight away, fillet, cut the dark meat out along the centre then slice into fine thin slices and soak in a mix of lemon juice and soy sauce. Sprinkle with chili if you like it like I do. I think slicing thin is the trick as it doesn't allow the strong flavour to over balance things. Thin like a couple or few mil thick. 

Edited by TAZ

On 7/30/2019 at 6:43 PM, Berleyguts said:

I spent a week in N.Z. as a teenager, was taken out on a fishing trip to one of the islands off the southern part of the North Island, and we pulled out a few smaller salmon (plus other fish). The salmon were very  tasty when cooked up as patties.

• Like 1

Actually, the kahawai in NZ do taste A LOT BETTER then they do here.

Ex Kiwi here, and I was surprised at the foul taste of the Aussie version when I first encountered them.

It’s not uncommon for the same fish in different countries to taste different, probably due to the niche they occupy and hence what they feed on.

I also believe that most of the kahawai caught and eaten in the northern part of NZ are actually Arripis xylabion (the Kermadec kahawai) not Arripis trutta. That’s where I lived and fished and I remember that they were slightly different in appearance - more blue on the back, clearer markings. Smelt different, tasted different. Can’t prove that, though. I think scientists are only just sorting the two species out now - but it might be one contributing factor to why they are higher rated in NZ.

Edited by Volitan
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Volitan said:

It’s not uncommon for the same fish in different countries to taste different, probably due to the niche they occupy and hence what they feed on.

I visited Lord Howe Island twice in my younger days, and found the the kingies I caught there tasted much better than the kingies caught in NSW.