Something special

JonD

Found a scat in a remote location a couple of weeks ago so headed back out last week to set up my trail camera. Heading out today we couldn't believe our luck when a quoll crossed our path. For years we've been searching for quolls, which are extremely rare to find these days.

What was even even more impressive was the fact that our one and only trail cam managed to grab over 500 video clips, 52 were of a quoll. Now I know where they are the next challenge will to be upgrade from trail cam to more useable images.

IMG_2946.thumb.PNG.d505dd6fadf126273ecc342b69c6a993.PNG

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

That’s gold Jon! Do you pass on that information? 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Not really, the fact there are quolls and dingos in this area yet parks and wildlife seem intent on leaving poison for wild dogs around and the way they shut public out of areas if something special is found puts me off. It's a little bit like sharing where you find grey nurse sharks, if you know what I mean.

• Like 1

Nice work jon   its funny how authorities say they are rare but i see them in a few spots up my way  there was a dead one on side of M1 at back of lake macquarie two weeks ago    i also see them at a popular campsite in barrington tops   me thinks there are more than they know

• Like 1

Saw this one in an area around Tamworth some years ago, it was chewing on some sort of road kill.

My first encounter with one.

Qual.thumb.jpg.accb974d3e8518fc2127b34d1c80f66d.jpg

Qual2.jpg.b86e9d512f2650b7ac49edc03bef638a.jpg

Beautiful native animals that deserve protection, apart from ferals there are many that probably also die from the same 1080 baits that are supposed to protect them but using 1080 makes the greeny's feel like they are doing something even though the most effective feral pest management in this country is recreational hunters imo & draws very little recognition!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Nice work jon   its funny how authorities say they are rare but i see them in a few spots up my way  there was a dead one on side of M1 at back of lake macquarie two weeks ago    i also see them at a popular campsite in barrington tops   me thinks there are more than they know

I think it depends on the location. I have heard of them up your way and especially the New England national park, where they are commonly found at certain camp sites etc. We were wanting to head up there just to be able to find one but now we've located some local we can put more time in here.

1 minute ago, kingie chaser said:

Saw this one in an area around Tamworth some years ago, it was chewing on some sort of road kill.

My first encounter with one.

Qual.thumb.jpg.accb974d3e8518fc2127b34d1c80f66d.jpg

Qual2.jpg.b86e9d512f2650b7ac49edc03bef638a.jpg

Beautiful native animals that deserve protection, apart from ferals there are many that probably also die from the same 1080 baits that are supposed to protect them but using 1080 makes the greeny's feel like they are doing something even though the most effective feral pest management in this country is recreational hunters imo & draws very little recognition!

1080 was used heavily in our area about 3 months ago again. Apart from finding six dead owls and not seeing a bandicoot since the only change I noticed was the rabbits increased. Even though council claim it doesn't effect native animals, the number of natives taken into the local vets during baiting time strongly shows different.

By the way fantastic finding those quolls.

1 hour ago, JonD said:

Even though council claim it doesn't effect native animals, the number of natives taken into the local vets during baiting time strongly shows different.

By the way fantastic finding those quolls.

That's probably because the council fails to recognise that some native species/marsupials are actually omnivores so of course they are going to seek out baits!

1080 is being used almost everywhere & mostly unfortunately as the sole control method which as you state also affects natives.

I went to a recent Shoalhaven Landcare fox eradication seminar to offer my services FOC & they just wanted people to lay baits even though stating 1 in 4 baits are actually effective, so what happens to the other 3??

They(landcare) also admitted that shooting was a more effective control but the feeling of local land owners were concerned that introducing shooters more of a concern than the impact the fox's have. 

Anyway their loss.

One of those things I guess where the actions of a few affect the many who are legitimate & responsible!

Its unfortunate that so many city slickers are so unaware of the plight of our natives through feral impacts but also unwilling to hear that anyone using a firearm as can be an effective control method.

If it wasn't for the efforts of legitimate law abiding recreational firearm owners/hunters this country would be over run with ferals & cost the government multi millions of $$-dogs, pigs, fox's, cats, deer, rabbits, goats, camels just to name a few.

BTW that is the same Qual, I followed it for a bit to see if I could get a better shot but it was taken with a very average camera. 

Trail cams are great for this kind of think especially at night. 

IMAG0207.thumb.JPG.c532827d5549afe710faf6e566681e4c.JPG

891406295_IMAG0221-Copy(2).thumb.JPG.a41542d0c6ec8c1ac6fd47516f7cd20a.JPG

• Like 1