Swansea, bait balls but no luck

lakelad

Went out at Swansea Heads last Sunday for a quick couple of hours before sunset. Was about 2m of swell running and approaching sunset so I didn't stray too far in a small boat by myself.

First stop was the dropover in the lake, threw out some squid jigs for a drift and worked a vibe, the only taker was an unfortunate squire who bit off more than he could chew.

Then trolled two lines out of the heads, one surface skirt and one rapala style deep diver but no hits after half hour going over some bait balls  on the sounder so went back to a bait ball I saw and threw some baits and metal jigs into it. I had a half dead yakka out, and patenoster rig and threw a soft plastic and metal jig but couldn't get anything out of the bait ball, although it looked promising on the sounder..

All in all a nice way to get out on the water for a few hours, an edible fish or two would have been nice though! Any tips on getting action from these bait balls?

373433086_squiresmall.thumb.jpg.b1976275948a9b42fe85d2a8ceb9f75c.jpg

sounder.thumb.jpg.a5421d282229948700cc02a971c46809.jpg

sunset.thumb.jpg.8d7f7762794b057614ff681de534991d.jpg

Edited by lakelad
  • Like 1

No I didn't try that @Squ!rt but will give it a go at some stage, certainly always seems to be someone throwing some jigs there so must be something in it..

I've caught green eye squid at the bridge a few years back, when they're on they're on, but I haven't worked out the conditions it's very hit and miss. I see good reports of squid around moon island, but am yet to give it a serious go. Around April I was getting bag limit of the arrows at the drop over regularly, probably my favourite seafood!

20 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

The green eyes are caught between the heads an the island

Seen some monster ones fly by and caught between the bridge and coon island over the years in the channel, photos of a monster squid i have seen, it covered an 80 series bonnet with the tenticles hanging over the guard. looked liked something from jurassic park.

13 minutes ago, Squ!rt said:

it covered an 80 series bonnet with the tenticles hanging over the guard.

Wow! That's a serious squid!!

21 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

The green eyes are caught between the heads an the island

What's the standard approach and rig to use Rick? i.e. drifting or anchor, and paternoster squid rig or casting singles?

I've thought about this setup..
59fd215bccf67_Doublesquidrig.jpg.ef8cb7b