boat license

chris b

36 minutes ago, Plethora said:

• Drive any vessel, other than a PWC, at a speed of 10 knots or more: – Without the holder of a general boat driving licence who is 16 years of age or older being present in the vessel, or – Between sunset and sunrise, or – While the vessel is towing anyone.

Yes... but again that is specific to driving at 10kts or more.  If you drive below 10kts there is no restriction that I can see that mandates a licensed driver has to be on board.... (and similarly I cannot find anything that further restricts it if a boat is capable of exceeding 10 knots.) So as I read it - specifically for boats (not PWCs), as long as you stay under 10kts you do not need a boat license regardless of the boat's speed capability or kw (HP).

BTW, it makes sense that a licensed driver has to be present for driving at 10kts or more because that is how we teach people the practical marine driving skills - instructor licensed, student unlicensed.

Cheers Zoran

Hi Plethora,

Thanks for that. 

As per the information you provided - on page 7 it says that "Anyone who is operating a power vessel on NSW water at 10 knots or more must have a must have a boat driving licence".

My interpretation of that sentence is that need a licence if you a DRIVING a vessel at 10 knots or more. To take that further the reverse of that statement is that if DRIVING a boat UNDER 10 knots you do not need a licence. This is what @JonD and a few others were stating. The statement talks about operating speed at the time and not the speed the vessel is capable of.

When I did my boat licence decades ago the advice was that for a lot of boats the speed at which it starts to plane on the water is about 8 knots. So in general if you are not planing you will not need a licence to operate that vessel.

Regards,

Derek