Fish Heads

TAZ

Hi guys. Was watching a NZ fishing show the other night Get Your Fish On and during it they mentioned a Free Fish head app they have there. Basically its after you have caught and filleted your catch you then go on the app and see who in the area has a hand up for some fish heads and the frame. During the show in a park the girl yells out "hey anyone want some free fish heads" and these strangers came over to collect them. I tried to think what people here would yell out at me if I called out that and held a bag of fish heads up along with the filleted frame? On line I see it's actually really popular there in NZ. Am I alone in thinking that here you'd get told where to put your fish heads if you did the same?

I think depending where you done it you would get a favorable response . If you done it in George st you would get frowned upon but if you done it in a popular crabbing area by the water you wouldn't have enough heads/frames to go around, and there is still a lot of good meat/flesh in heads and between the frames people boil and use other methods of getting the most from their catch.

Frank

• Like 1

Have to agree with Frank! When I spent a week fishing north of Coffs, we had people almost everyday waiting at the ramp asking for frames and heads! 
I’d love to see you do that in George Street Sydney though 😂

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1

I often see a guy looking for frames at Little Beach ramp (Port Stephens) for his crab traps. As the crabs pick up, I’ll save my frames for my traps, too (but first I’ve gotta catch some fish! 😂). My mother-in-law loves the meat in fish heads and reckons it’s the best part. She enjoys a fish head curry. I sometimes boil up the heads and frames to make fish stock, too.

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 2

Ok, I'm thinking now I've been missing out on something then with fish heads. Next decent fish I get I think I will cook it in a soup perhaps? And see what I may have been missing and throwing away all these years.