New Fish Sonar/Sounder/Nav

Plethora

Hi All,

At present I have a Raymarine Dragon Fly 7 Pro and I am looking to upgrade to something better for offshore fishing - what would you recommend ..... the features I wantedare (Navigation, Sonar & down & side vision chirp)

Depends on budget, but I would have a think about any of the MEGA frequency Sounders - structure scan detail looks amazing ! Also consider trolling motor compatibility, if that's applicable to you.

Look at Simrad Multi function displays like the EVO3 series. You can bolt onto them all these functions and for your budget you could go for either a single 12 or 16 inch screen or even a couple of 9 inch ones.

I have a 16 inch EVO2 with all bells and whistles; it's pretty awesome. I just need to use it a lot more!

Cheers

Rob

1 kw is for really deep stuff-Hummingbird not really run by  anyone i know who fishes offshore-more a estuary setup. I just had my boat refitted with 2 Lowrance HDS live screens and trannies-a 3 in 1 for most stuff and a chirp compatible through hull SS175-600W-so far havent had it out to the shelf but all good. My old 50/200 600W hit bottom in 400m so am expecting better performance from the new setup. Simrad always good, RAymarine etc Foruno make excellent sounders but not multifunction set ups at the reasonable end of the market.I like two screens as i can watch more stuff at once and not have to squint! the joys of crap eyes!

2 hours ago, mii11x said:

If your fishing Brown's, can I ask why you would want side scan for?

Sorry to hop in here but I set my sidescan to 80 each side of the boat offshore, this covers 160m of water while searching for game fish or the bait they might be chasing. 

Back to the original question, look at the much higher res Garmin 84 series units. These leave my hds gen 3  12 inch for dead, double the resolution seperates and shows double the detail. Starting at the Garmin 8410.

Edited by JonD

30 minutes ago, JonD said:

Sorry to hop in here but I set my sidescan to 80 each side of the boat offshore, this covers 160m of water while searching for game fish or the bait they might be chasing. 

I just figured more estuary guys would use it.  There you go, I've  learnt something today.   

If you've got a screentshot of gamefish on sidescan, I am curious to see how they show up

2 hours ago, mii11x said:

I just figured more estuary guys would use it.  There you go, I've  learnt something today.   

If you've got a screentshot of gamefish on sidescan, I am curious to see how they show up

I have heaps of screen shots on the unit that I haven't downloaded but in this one over shallow water I'm driving through krill with whales 30m off to the port side.

IMG_0155.JPG.24a96ab8730ebf29ea1d946f06528fda.JPG

In this shot I've put a red circles around bait fish holding over shallow reef.

IMG_0158.JPG.fb1f05209ab1c06fc8c685231b2a63fc.JPG

In this last image I've set the sonar to show sidescan on the chart, also circled bait which show as the dence red patch of fish on down sonar. On the chart you can see my gps numbers which are from touching the screen top left of the screen where the + shows to the right of 7.4 kph.

IMG_0160.JPG.ee6f65bfeacbca280ae08da1b6c82ecb.JPG

I will have to get around to getting all my screen shots from the unit to my computer.

Edited by JonD