King worms and chunky whiting - Blacksmiths

RexSenior

Hi Raiders

Long time between posts!

Just sharing some luck today, which started with a trip to the Central Coast for some worms.

Plenty of king worms available in a very small patch south of Birdie Beach - took some finding however this was the result...

1566969468_IMG_3002lowres.thumb.JPG.61053af40fc47ba0f5c670f00b47dd08.JPG

Only a few of these needed (4-5 fills up the bait bucket) so headed back home to Blacksmiths.

Battled plenty of weed and a sweep however managed some healthy whiting just using a size 2 baitholder hook, 8lb fluorocarbon leader and the biggest sinker I could find! All caught mid tide on the rise. A 39cm flatty thrown in for good measure (had to measure this one as I wasn't sure if it was legal - now worries with the whiting though).

151695247_IMG_3006lowres.thumb.JPG.aad96412fd59d15b676de40b689147ed.JPG

Cheers and tight lines! 

James

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Nice work James! Good to see your still out and about. Those whiting will make a good plate! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Cheers Scratchie! Yeah still trying to get out every now and then :) Just chewing on a couple of those whiting now and I may be fishing more often haha.

Cheers, James

2 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Amazing catch and even if you didn't find the whiting those worms look fat enough to cook up somehow:)

Haha, cheers Rob. They're the biggest I've seen. Not the longest however they're well over 10mm in width - and very strong. Great Jew bait from the beach however you need to pick the perfect time to throw a whole one out as the salmon are pests here when targeting other species. 

7 minutes ago, dhype said:

Good grief! Those look like a mini boa-constrictor!!!

nice catch of quality table fish

Haha, indeed they do! Very difficult to get out of the sand without breaking them - so powerful for such a small thing :)

14 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

That’s  some worm there, would’ve been interesting extracting those units & some quality whiting 👍

Cheers mate. You get used to them, the main thing is getting a strong enough grip then most of the time they will begin to release from the sand if you hold them firm.

Cheers, James

• 2 months later...