Dead fish

JonD

My daughter has a little write up in today's Sunday Telegraph on fish kills due to the fires down here. Shame they used a photo of her looking so happy as she certainly wasn't. Blue sky's today and the all clear for tourists to return to the south coast.

IMG_3557.JPG.dba20095b52ed45d7651c5df769d6221.JPG

Local beach scene. 

_JDP9139.jpg.0d20edd05aa66925dccb5844a80b03b3.jpg

• Sad 2

Tilba lake had some significant kills last week. Would have been ~1000 flathead, 1000 bream and a few hundred mullet, 10s of eels and crabs. Water was putrid. 

I'm not sure if it's fire related or due to high day temps which tipped the ecosystem over the edge.

All flatties were between 45-65cm.

Such a pity.

5 minutes ago, barnzey said:

Tilba lake had some significant kills last week. Would have been ~1000 flathead, 1000 bream and a few hundred mullet, 10s of eels and crabs. Water was putrid. 

I'm not sure if it's fire related or due to high day temps which tipped the ecosystem over the edge.

All flatties were between 45-65cm.

Such a pity.

Any species it is a pity really. Seems to be more posts about this too. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Bellbrook, west of Kempsey last week.  The Macleay River had stopped flowing there some time previously.  There was rain higher up and the river started to flow.  It did not take long to notice that there dead fish and eels floating down stream.  It got the stage that the river was a mass of dead fish.  It was so sad to see so many fish being killed and wasted.