Air Fry Occy

wizza

6 hours ago, wizza said:

how does the result compare with BBQ ?

I have an air fryer & wouldn't be prepared to do occy in it as you need the char of a gas bbq or charcoal bbq to char & impart flavour.

It also depends on the size of the occy as to how much cooking it needs to tenderize it.

If its large I cook it in a court bullion(poaching liquor) for up to 2 hours to tenderize it before charring it on the grill.

This is a greek style occy I did at home a while ago using that method.

841232039_Occysalad.thumb.jpg.2861308ccd2958dd53e5e43b0a07bfe4.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, i wont be getting an airfryer.Thanks for your replies.I dont use any bbq,so will continue to make a mess in the kitchen.Absolutely love ocky since daughter showed me how to marinate and fry.Great hot or cold.Will next try boiling a larger one first.

15 hours ago, noelm said:

Yep, big Octopus boiled for ages, then charred over charcoal, hard to beat, never going to eat those "baby" ones, ever......

I love the baby Occy's, no boiling, just cut up, marinate and 3mins on the BBQ, squeeze of lemon and they are gone.

Thanks K C and Connico.Have had many BBQ's but dont like the char,congealed fat and general mess.Iknow thats unAustralian  and unmanly!!!Have been cooking 450/500g size.Best BBq Seen was a scavenged flat steel plate and 4 bricks in the backyard.

On 1/21/2020 at 1:46 AM, kingie chaser said:

I really like my air fryer, great for some things.

You can get a cheap habachi grill or gas bbq from bunnings.

Just got into air frying and did some very nice roast pork dinners out on the road.

We also used it at Christmas to quickly do some meat and crispy roast potatoes. There are some great things you can do in it. I bought a Sunbeam Nutrioven. I joined a great fb group and they have wonderful files of recipies :)

@wizza hope you get good results with the grill or bbq

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Just got into air frying and did some very nice roast pork dinners out on the road.

We also used it at Christmas to quickly do some meat and crispy roast potatoes. There are some great things you can do in it. I bought a Sunbeam Nutrioven. I joined a great fb group and they have wonderful files of recipies :)

@wizza hope you get good results with the grill or bbq

I actually think they area very cool bit of gear.

Ive had my small 4ltr version for around 2 years now & they are fantastic for what they are.

All different models out there but from $70 they are basically mini ovens of varying sizes but yeh you can also spend $400!

Sounds familiar to fishing gear right 😜

Capacity is a major factor so imo get the biggest you can for your budget.

Being single & not having to cook for a group I find myself using mine most days for things like roasting 1/2 a chook, roasting some vegies or even doing a some oven fries is I am making a quick burger.

Beats having to preheat the electric oven for 20 minutes then cooking the fries for another 20 minutes.

I can have oven bakes fries in 20 minutes in the air fryer.

If you have the right sized insert to fit them you can pretty much bake anything in them.

But they are what they are, not char grill, not deepfryers, but small ovens essentually.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

Costco has Phillips for$350.00.We have enough kitchen stuff.Stainless lidded pots going well after 40 years,great wedding gift from inlaws. Ovens are often far to big for what one needs ,so usefulness of airfryers obvious.Cheers all.