Port Hacking - a bit quiet

Yowie

Fished early in the deep off Lilli Pilli and it was fairly quiet. Bait stealing reddies near size down to about 12cm.

The photo shows the only 2 fish I kept.

Early on, I hooked up a good flattie and it chewed off the hook before I could see it. About half an hour later, I hooked up another flattie that felt a similar size, but scooped him/her out before the hook was chewed off again. A photo and released. It would not open it's mouth so I could not see if it had a hook inside. Just cut the line and it swam off. The hooks I was using are mild steel, not stainless, so they should rust out over time.

I have hooked big flatties before, released them, then caught the same one again about an hour later.

I also pulled out a jewie, but at 68cm, it just missed out. Also released a smallish flounder.

There were a few tailor chopping into baitfish, but no strikes on lures or bait. I tried spinning a lure up South West Arm and eventually hooked a nice salmon, but on the second jump the lure come loose, so time to head home.

fish.jpeg.220.png

• Like 2

I hooked a flattie in the same spot of the same size about a month ago. I compared photos of the spots on the heads of both fish, and can say they are different fish. The fish have spots and bars on the body in similar positions, but not exactly the same sizes and numbers of spots.

fish.jpeg_221.thumb.png.97d479b3b7870df83e6ec16345024a4b.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Looks very quiet for you indeed yowie! Just wait until the tourists leave 👍

cheers scratchie!!! 

Can hardly wait till they head off to Port Stephens and leave me alone.  :074:

Have enough for the missus and myself for tonight.

My mate wants to head out for a fish outside this week, and the missus said you have already been fishing this week - not the correct comment.  :fisher:

• Haha 1

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 3:04 PM, Yowie said:

My mate wants to head out for a fish outside this week, and the missus said you have already been fishing this week - not the correct comment.  :fisher:

Well, I headed out last night with my mate. A southerly blew up (not forecast) during the morning, and put a bump on the water, enough to bounce your arse all night. Gusts to 20 knots but eased on sunset.

Not too far out from the mouth of the Hacking. Nothing on the bottom, only 1 baker and 2 small reddies. Burley produced a plague of slimies, some over 40 cm, and yakkas. Hooked up a small yakka, only to be grabbed by 2 squid in 2 minutes, so squid for eating and some bait.

On dark, the tailor turned up, biggest at 40cm but most just over or just under size. Kept half a dozen for the table, and a single bonnie to be salted as bait. The mongrel tailor kept chewing on the line, 30 or 40 cm above the hook so it was a hook re-tie after every bite or hook-up.

Better than not going at all.