Spin session off the rocks this morning

61 crusher

Decided to go for a flick at my local rock ledge to see if the water had cleared up enough & if the fish were there. Decided to use a pink maria 80mm x 31gram bibbed sinking hardbody that I scored out of a clearance bin, the colour choice was due to the water still having a greeny brown tinge & being overcast. Picked up 2 bonito, 2 legal tailor & 2 rat kingys  at about 55 & a 62 cm model which gave me a great tussle & managed to get caught up under a rock ledge, surprisingly when lifted up onto the ledge I hadn’t hooked him but caught the braid with one of the trebles between a set of gangs & 2 x snap swivels (go figure). I did my bit for conservation & gave the gear to a fisho who wanted it & picked up some rubbish on the way out, kept the 2 bonnies for sushimi & a feed & quickly released the others hence no photos 9324690B-55D7-41DC-A978-032AB82071B3.thumb.jpeg.76c6dc7ac6b4f12f0b204363a9fc3b6c.jpegIt’s a bummer how after only 6 fish the lure is already losing its good looks & looking worse for wear

• Like 10

Keep using the lure,don't repaint it ,the more messed up it looks the more it looks like a wounded baitfish. I remember fishing on a charter out of nossa a few years back for Spanish mackerel and the rapalas that had been used over and over scored more hits than the new ones. Just a bit of advice mate see how you go. Nice session though considering the water quality. 

Cheers Scotty 

Thanks raiders it was a fun session & my first kingys off the stones, have caught them on plastics & bait before but never on hardbodies 

16 hours ago, Ryder said:

Those toothy fish gave that lure a makeover. Nothing a little nail polish won't fix.

@Ryder the other half & my daughter don’t have that colour & I don’t fancy buying hot pink, not my colour 😁

15 hours ago, Pickles said:

Well done Crusher - good on you picking up the rubbish “Keep Australia beautiful”

@Pickles agree with you totally but at this particular ledge I’m always carrrying someone’s rubbish out with me yet there are at least 2 bins by the time you get to the car park less than 10 minutes away & it’s an easy walk out. How hard is it to carry out your empty rubbish 

14 hours ago, scottyboy said:

Keep using the lure,don't repaint it ,the more messed up it looks the more it looks like a wounded baitfish

@scottyboy with this particular lure I agree with you but some of the cheaper quality one’s look like crap after 2 fish, I bought some erskine two part epoxy  for the cheaper lures on advice from another lure fisho 

@kingbonito can get quite busy on the weekends with newbies & fishos  from Sydney. The Avoca platform 

Edited by 61 crusher

@kingbonito Have you moved from the C coast. I agree with you totally especially if the wind gets up, I stayed away from the spin ledge for that reason and there were really big sets coming in every half hour, once the wind picked up & pilchard brigade moved in on the honeycombs, I Ended up cutting the lure off once & then untangling it out of someone’s slack line & decided calling it quits.

On a side note what people do to get a fish even at low tide, the swell was from the ESE & when the big sets rolled in around the spin ledge they would all scamper across the ledge like rats up a drain pipe, one bloke got caught up in the wash & got bowled over when he surfaced he’s wet weather pants & undies were around his ankles, not a pretty site. What also blew me away was the amount of people wearing thongs no wonder life jackets are becoming compulsory on our rock ledges

Edited by 61 crusher

21 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Decided to go for a flick at my local rock ledge to see if the water had cleared up enough & if the fish were there. Decided to use a pink maria 80mm x 31gram bibbed sinking hardbody that I scored out of a clearance bin, the colour choice was due to the water still having a greeny brown tinge & being overcast. Picked up 2 bonito, 2 legal tailor & 2 rat kingys  at about 55 & a 62 

Sounds like a good bit of fun 61!

Shame they don't stretch a few cm, Id rather have YTKF sashimi over bonito any day 😁

Next trip Ill pack the soy & wasabi :064:

I recon if you get a few days use out of those bargain bin buys you've made your money back :biggrinthumb:

I seem to have the same problem there all the time, slimmys don’t come there often and I got a live slimmys there and put straight out as a livie and some idiot casted straight over me with a pilly and reefed my skinny out of the water and killed it I was spewing wasn’t even in the water for 5 minutes.... 

what’s your biggest king there ? @61 crusher

5 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Next trip Ill pack the soy & wasabi :064:

I recon if you get a few days use out of those bargain bin buys you've made your money back :biggrinthumb:

Sounds good Adrian, hopefully they won’t need stretching the next time we get out, we’ll have to try & get out soon  @kingie chaser those stars just need to line up again 

5 hours ago, kingbonito said:

what’s your biggest king there ?

They were the first 2 I’ve caught up here, I didn’t measure them but guessing the larger rat was around 62 cm

• Like 1