Port Stephens crab trap frustration

wcurrall

Raiders,

I’m sure everyone who has ever set a crab pot has had them checked by other people from time to time, very frustrating. Recently it has been getting worse and worse at port Stephens to the point some people aren’t bothering putting them in. Blue swimmers are everywhere at the moment so is ******* annoying. I have been cable tying the section of the trap that opens recently so you can’t get crabs out without cutting the tie. Last 6 times I have checked the pots the ties have been cut off both traps and zero crabs, usually with the trap left open, sometimes only an hour or so apart. 

So I’ve laminated these signs to tie onto the traps, see how it goes. Saw a similar thing done up near Rockhampton on muddy pots and it worked. Might work here, or I might end up with a couple of missing traps 😂😂😂 will keep you updated with the results

cheers

20FBF7B8-F84A-470E-A2F6-DAAD20C288C2.jpeg

Best option is to use the two ring lift nets and just stay with them, you check them every 10 minutes or so, just have a fish close by, and when you have your bag limit, go home. Traps are best set just on dark, then retrieved early in the morning, leaving them out during the day, unattended is asking for theft or "share farming" 

when I go crabbing I usually set the allowed number of traps (for the people crabbing) late in the afternoon, and the next day, take the allowed number of lift traps out and set them near my traps, I check the lift traps about every 10 minutes, and don't pull the set traps until about 7-8 o'clock, not too sure why, but you get more crabs that way, keep the bigger ones, and toss any small or undersized ones back, depending on how many crabs I need, or the bag limit will depend on how long I stay out. Bag limits are easily reached most days, and because I can go regularly (I live very close to the lake) I just take what I want at the time, rather than the max bag limit every time, there is some good crabs around at the moment.

Edited by noelm

Its unfortunate that the world is full of selfish scum like that, people who don't give a rats ass about anyone but themselves & think the world owes them!

You only have to look at the recent toilet paper fiasco to see peoples true colours!!

I saw a women get off a bus yesterday near my place & she had 240 rolls of toilet paper which she struggled to carry, I almost yelled at her 'so screw everyone else right' 🤬

I felt like doing a Ned Kelly on her & then give it away to someone in need, but didn't want to bring myself down to their level!!!

I hope the sign is a deterrent, but these people think that laws don't apply to them

Good luck WC. 

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately it happens quite often up here. Considering the vast expanse of the area with plenty of places to drop your pots, some people just find opportunity to poach overwhelming. It’s a real shame, like the toilet paper fiasco, there should be plenty for everyone. 
Let’s hope your deterrent works for you! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Thanks 1

I always thought it was out of towners as I had a few raided during holiday season. However, word lately on the grapevine is that it may be the work of a very small group of unscrupulous locals, which is a shame but I guess it can happen anywhere. I have resorted to fishing near my traps and hoop nets (which require working anyway). Still, it would be nice to drop my two traps in before I head outside, so I can check them for bounty on the way back to the ramp! I will try something else on my next trip that might work but I am not resorting to fish hooks and razor blades in the ropes yet! 😂

Hope your sign works but I suspect they will just scoff at it, unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

You could try actually putting a camera out. You can pick up motion activated hunting cameras off ebay pretty cheap these days. Just position one of your pots close to shore and fix the hunting camera to a tree near by. The cameras come in camo colours so it should be pretty safe if you hide it well enough. We did a similar thing when were were building an extension and losing gear/materials to kids on a regular basis.

Good luck, lazy bastards should just set their own

• Like 1

We had it happen to us at Karuah put the pots out at dusk, heard a boat while we were in the swag in the early hours of the morning but didn't think much of it. Paddled out next morning to lift them up and all 4 raided.

Not like they're expensive the mongrels could just go buy they're own.