Household DIY projects of late (non fishing related)

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Project 1: garden shed slab

never laid concrete before. Not perfect but level. 6x3 metres. Concrete  pump truck had a lot of problems getting 65 metres to the back of my site.

5449F17C-86A4-48C0-B2F2-58A493C37403.jpeg.87ff279ffe2ff8903c6cd5dc962f02e1.jpeg8ED97365-1438-48F2-85C6-9509CA82AECC.jpeg.dbfa97a1938d24e6fe3f1d7e31e05264.jpeg

Project 2: driveway

Normally I’d go for concrete but we have no drains and sandy soil so to stop flooding I opted for gravel and timber. Had some left over material to resurface the clothesline areaB808163B-E269-4E54-BEE0-278F884FE8B5.jpeg.a852090d4f5f491a77fc25e4dca8bf31.jpegA368C829-ACD3-4F71-90A9-0772A535850D.thumb.jpeg.bb2579bf62ae94c62dc962dc8536be1e.jpeg

Guest Guest123456789
33 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice, gotta keep busy in this time.

Did you put reo in before you laid the concrete slab?

Thanks KC.

Nope don’t think reo was needed

7 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

Thanks KC.

Nope don’t think reo was needed

Mmmm, im no builder but I would have in something of that size.

Even though it may not be load bearing if it crack for any reason there is nothing holding it together.

Anyway what is done is done, good luck with the rest of the project 😀

Edited by kingie chaser

Good job(s)! Yeah a bit of light gauge reo or even chicken wire wouldn’t have hurt but if it’s thick enough and on stable ground and not load bearing will be fine. I love the handprints preserved for posterity!  Most of our slabs are marked the same - even with puppies paws. 

My lockdown home DIY projects weren’t as grand. Eldest daughter had moved out with her beau just prior to lock down. So Maria took the opportunity to convince me to buy paint just before lockdown and to repaint both girls bedrooms - well make one into a sewing room - so I tackled my most hated DIY (painting) with gusto and completed the task. Now I’m still waiting to hear what sound the sewing machine actually makes! - but happy to report Maria now has the sewing room she always wanted.

cheers Zoran 

Slab looks good.

Well here is my latest project. I have lived here for 34 years and hit my head on this roof beam that many times I couldn't keep count of it, so now decided to make a wood turning shed with space so need to raise the roof to gain headroom.

Going to buy new iron sheets and 2 x skylights to let some natural light in. Won't be done in a hurry as I get breathless just putting my socks on of a morning.

121944721_roof1.thumb.jpg.3b94da04982c363e4c3ca25c324f4878.jpg

420878606_roof2.thumb.jpg.579f0665579a4834fbd763ddb2072f32.jpg

Please excuse the messy shed. But that's me.

Frank

Guest Guest123456789
3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Mmmm, im no builder but I would have in something of that size.

Even though it may not be load bearing if it crack for any reason there is nothing holding it together.

Anyway what is done is done, good luck with the rest of the project 😀

Thanks KC. Level ground you don’t need reo so long as slab is at least 100mm think and you have expansion joints (I have two). Problem with reo is you shrink the lifespan from 1000 years to 50-100 years.

3 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Good job(s)! Yeah a bit of light gauge reo or even chicken wire wouldn’t have hurt but if it’s thick enough and on stable ground and not load bearing will be fine. I love the handprints preserved for posterity!  Most of our slabs are marked the same - even with puppies paws. 

My lockdown home DIY projects weren’t as grand. Eldest daughter had moved out with her beau just prior to lock down. So Maria took the opportunity to convince me to buy paint just before lockdown and to repaint both girls bedrooms - well make one into a sewing room - so I tackled my most hated DIY (painting) with gusto and completed the task. Now I’m still waiting to hear what sound the sewing machine actually makes! - but happy to report Maria now has the sewing room she always wanted.

cheers Zoran 

Thanks Zoran. Congratulations on reclaiming some real estate in the homestead. Perhaps the wife can sow you a some nice lures now

2 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Would’ve been fun to see a sheet of mesh tied to the top of your roof racks, good effort on all your DIY projects 👍

No mesh on the roof racks but the formwork went on there 😉

2 hours ago, frankS said:

Slab looks good.

Well here is my latest project. I have lived here for 34 years and hit my head on this roof beam that many times I couldn't keep count of it, so now decided to make a wood turning shed with space so need to raise the roof to gain headroom.

Going to buy new iron sheets and 2 x skylights to let some natural light in. Won't be done in a hurry as I get breathless just putting my socks on of a morning.

121944721_roof1.thumb.jpg.3b94da04982c363e4c3ca25c324f4878.jpg

420878606_roof2.thumb.jpg.579f0665579a4834fbd763ddb2072f32.jpg

Please excuse the messy shed. But that's me.

Frank

Looks like quite a good project to take on Frank. Sorry to hear about the lungs. I wish I could trade you some of my vitality in return for some of your wisdom.

I was trying to work out how to get a roof in there that will be functional and aesthetically pleasing. Look like the structure on the left is a skillion roof and the structure on the right is a gable roof? If so I can’t  think of a way to link the two that won’t look like a shanty. 

How much land space do you have? It could be cheaper, easier and better looking to build a new structure and dismantle the old one. Looks like you have some beautiful hardwood timber there and that weathered iron - that can look really awesome repurposed.

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

@frankS If you wanted to save a few bucks, you could always swap out the skylights for a couple of clear sheets of polycarbonate roofing.

Yes mate that's what I meant, bad wording, just clear sheets, only need 2 clear as 2 will let enough light through.

Frank

• Like 1

1 minute ago, frankS said:

Yes mate that's what I meant, bad wording, just clear sheets, only need 2 clear as 2 will let enough light through.

Frank

You certainly don't want to overdo it with the clear sheets. It really heats up under them in summer, even with the open end of the shed. 2 looks perfect.

1 hour ago, flatheadluke said:

Looks like quite a good project to take on Frank. Sorry to hear about the lungs. I wish I could trade you some of my vitality in return for some of your wisdom.

I was trying to work out how to get a roof in there that will be functional and aesthetically pleasing. Look like the structure on the left is a skillion roof and the structure on the right is a gable roof? If so I can’t  think of a way to link the two that won’t look like a shanty. 

How much land space do you have? It could be cheaper, easier and better looking to build a new structure and dismantle the old one. Looks like you have some beautiful hardwood timber there and that weathered iron - that can look really awesome repurposed.

Luke. I have several 6 metre lengths of 4x 2 " RHS aluminium which I will make a frame up out of and simply angle the roof iron from underneath the old gable roof down 2" for rainfall flow just to meet the upright wall to next doors building.

Not worried about guttering the rain can just fall inside the shed and drain away.

These sheds were once chook sheds, when I first moved in here I bred and sold exotic chooks and pheasants  and the like.

Looks don't bother me and everything is done with the tightest budget imaginable.

Frank

Guest Guest123456789
1 hour ago, frankS said:

Luke. I have several 6 metre lengths of 4x 2 " RHS aluminium which I will make a frame up out of and simply angle the roof iron from underneath the old gable roof down 2" for rainfall flow just to meet the upright wall to next doors building.

Not worried about guttering the rain can just fall inside the shed and drain away.

These sheds were once chook sheds, when I first moved in here I bred and sold exotic chooks and pheasants  and the like.

Looks don't bother me and everything is done with the tightest budget imaginable.

Frank

Super solid chooks sheds Frank no chance for the foxes to get in there back when used 👍 

I’d love to get chooks here but the boss said no. Like a drop of water on a sandstone brick I’m going to wear her down, hopefully before 2030